C/2011 W3 tail growth over 4 days

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
      Here's a rough composite showing the growth of Lovejoy over the last 4 days, using some images kindly lent to me as I've only had one fine morning to observe it since it hit dark skies again. The various images were resized to the same scale. Don't place too much credence in the actual degree length stated as there are lots of variables that determine how much will be showing in any particular image. For this morning, the 30-degree tail length is based on several photographs that appear to show very faint extensions out to that length.

      http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/W321-25Dec2011ver2.jpg

      Anyway, the massive expansion is pretty clear. Hoping to get another great view of this 'megacomet' in the morning.

      Cheers -

      Rob Kaufman
      Bright, Vic, Australia
    • Frans van Loo
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
        Rob,

        Good job,

        Can we see a photo that real reflect the visual exp.?
        Some processing make the comet (s) more "importend" as they are seen visual . For us suporters of the North , we miss the visual "true".
        However ,modern tech. makes the study of comets etc better.
        Greets
        (rainy Belgium.)

        Frans van Loo.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
          Franz,

          I don't know if it is accessible for you but my brother's image on Facebook gives some idea what the comet looked like visually from the middle of a city:

          <http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150441134543683&set=a.10150441132103683.359661.625623682&type=1&theater>

          DN

          On 26/12/2011, at 9:24 PM, Frans van Loo wrote:

          > Rob,
          >
          > Good job,
          >
          > Can we see a photo that real reflect the visual exp.?
          > Some processing make the comet (s) more "importend" as they are seen visual . For us suporters of the North , we miss the visual "true".
          > However ,modern tech. makes the study of comets etc better.
          > Greets
          > (rainy Belgium.)
          >
          > Frans van Loo.

        • Dave Herald
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
            IMHO, most of the images that have been posted over the last few days reflects the true visual appearance. Specifically, in dark skies you can see the tail to the same extent as is shown in the images.

            The main issue is how you might represent the _brightness_ of the comet’s tail. I think the best way to describe this is that the comet is currently close to one of the brighter parts of the Milky Way, and compared to the milky way at the same altitude, the surface brightness of the majority of the tail is somewhat brighter than the brighter parts of the Milky Way.

            Dave Herald
            Murrumbateman, Australia

            Here's a rough composite showing the growth of Lovejoy over the last 4 days, using some images kindly lent to me as I've only had one fine morning to observe it since it hit dark skies again. The various images were resized to the same scale. Don't place too much credence in the actual degree length stated as there are lots of variables that determine how much will be showing in any particular image. For this morning, the 30-degree tail length is based on several photographs that appear to show very faint extensions out to that length.

            http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/W321-25Dec2011ver2.jpg

            Anyway, the massive expansion is pretty clear. Hoping to get another great view of this 'megacomet' in the morning.

            Cheers -

            Rob Kaufman
            Bright, Vic, Australia

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
              Hi Frans. I can only speak for the 23rd (24th here), but the visual view was very much the same as the photograph shown in the composite. In darker skies the tail was quite bright and prominent. I made out 20 degrees of tail visually, but didn't see the head or last couple of degrees of tail rise because daylight washed it out. The ion tail on the 23rd was quite prominent visually and the extent of faint end of the tail visible matched the photograph quite well.

              Cheers -

              Rob

              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@...> wrote:

              > Rob,
              >
              > Good job,
              >
              > Can we see a photo that real reflect the visual exp.?
              > Some processing make the comet (s) more "importend" as they are seen visual . For us suporters of the North , we miss the visual "true".
              > However ,modern tech. makes the study of comets etc better.
              > Greets
              > (rainy Belgium.)
              >
              > Frans van Loo.

            • Frans van Loo

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                  David,

                  Im on Facebook but the link gives no result.
                  However thanks and I will find the picture.

                  Frans.

                  I don't know if it is accessible for you but my brother's image on Facebook gives some idea what the comet looked like visually from the middle of a city:

                  <http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150441134543683&set=a.10150441132103683.359661.625623682&type=1&theater>

                  DN

                  On 26/12/2011, at 9:24 PM, Frans van Loo wrote:

                  > Rob,
                  >
                  > Good job,
                  >
                  > Can we see a photo that real reflect the visual exp.?
                  > Some processing make the comet (s) more "importend" as they are seen visual . For us suporters of the North , we miss the visual "true".
                  > However ,modern tech. makes the study of comets etc better.
                  > Greets
                  > (rainy Belgium.)
                  >
                  > Frans van Loo.

                • Frans van Loo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                    Rob,

                    Making a paper for a meeting here in Genk at the Cosmodrome , I will show the photo's if permitted.

                    Thanks .
                    Frans.
                    Hi Frans. I can only speak for the 23rd (24th here), but the visual view was very much the same as the photograph shown in the composite. In darker skies the tail was quite bright and prominent. I made out 20 degrees of tail visually, but didn't see the head or last couple of degrees of tail rise because daylight washed it out. The ion tail on the 23rd was quite prominent visually and the extent of faint end of the tail visible matched the photograph quite well.

                    Cheers -

                    Rob

                    --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@...> wrote:

                    > Rob,
                    >
                    > Good job,
                    >
                    > Can we see a photo that real reflect the visual exp.?
                    > Some processing make the comet (s) more "importend" as they are seen visual . For us suporters of the North , we miss the visual "true".
                    > However ,modern tech. makes the study of comets etc better.
                    > Greets
                    > (rainy Belgium.)
                    >
                    > Frans van Loo.

                  • Rob
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                      Hi Frans. I obtained permission from each of the four photographers to use their images and post to the comets_ml and ASV Comet Section groups, so I don't think I'm the person to ask for permission. All I can say is that once an image is posted it is in the public domain and the normal etiquettes apply. Good luck with your paper!

                      Cheers -

                      Rob

                      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@...> wrote:

                      > Rob,
                      >
                      > Making a paper for a meeting here in Genk at the Cosmodrome , I will show the photo's if permitted.
                      >
                      > Thanks .
                      > Frans.

                    • Paul Floyd
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                        Hi,

                        I just want to comment on Rob's comment that "... once an image is posted
                        it is in the public domain...'.

                        My understanding of Australian copyright law (I am aware this is an
                        international list) is that an act of publishing a work is required to
                        secure your copyright of that work. In my case, I 'publish' by displaying
                        my material on the Internet. Authors must explicitly state that their work
                        (ie a photograph of a comet) is free for anyone to do use. If this is not
                        done, then you have to assume that the author retains ownership of their
                        work, and that permission must be received before you can use that work.

                        Rob mentioned that he obtained permission to use the photographs so he has
                        done the correct moral and legal thing.

                        Regards,

                        Paul Floyd.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                          Thanks Paul. Because I was effectively 'licensed' to use those images for a particular purpose, I'm not in a position to give permission for use. My comment about the 'public domain' was not to imply the image becomes open slather and copyright laws don't apply, it was simply that once images are posted on the web it is quite common to see them picked up by bloggers etc, hopefully with permission and at the very least with the right acknowledgements (not always the case, sadly). For myself, I don't care who picks up, copies or otherwise uses my own web-posted images as long as they don't claim them as their own work. Might be a bit different if I ever produced anything of any monetary value, LOL!!

                          It's a vexed question really, and maybe the answer is to use only your own images in composites like the one I posted, to avoid all the implications.

                          Cheers -

                          Rob

                          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Paul Floyd <p.n.floyd@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I just want to comment on Rob's comment that "... once an image is posted
                          > it is in the public domain...'.
                          >
                          > My understanding of Australian copyright law (I am aware this is an
                          > international list) is that an act of publishing a work is required to
                          > secure your copyright of that work. In my case, I 'publish' by displaying
                          > my material on the Internet. Authors must explicitly state that their work
                          > (ie a photograph of a comet) is free for anyone to do use. If this is not
                          > done, then you have to assume that the author retains ownership of their
                          > work, and that permission must be received before you can use that work.
                          >
                          > Rob mentioned that he obtained permission to use the photographs so he has
                          > done the correct moral and legal thing.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Paul Floyd.
                          >

                          > On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Rob <Rob.Kau@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Hi Frans. I obtained permission from each of the four photographers to use
                          > > their images and post to the comets_ml and ASV Comet Section groups, so I
                          > > don't think I'm the person to ask for permission. All I can say is that
                          > > once an image is posted it is in the public domain and the normal
                          > > etiquettes apply. Good luck with your paper!
                          > >
                          > > Cheers -
                          > >
                          > > Rob
                          > >
                          > > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Rob,
                          > > >
                          > > > Making a paper for a meeting here in Genk at the Cosmodrome , I will
                          > > show the photo's if permitted.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks .
                          > > > Frans.

                        • John Drummond
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                            Thanks for this Paul – as it’s been on my mind for the last few days. Two nights ago a New Zealand produced TV programme showed a well-known female astronomer up north and they showed three of my images without asking me – or crediting them to me at the conclusion. Part of me is pleased they used them and that astronomy is being promoted, part of me is irked. What would you people do if it was you???

                            Sorry if this is off-topic. I understand if this sub-thread is stopped...

                            Regards

                            John Drummond
                            Possum Observatory Complex
                            International Astro Union Code: E94
                            Gisborne, New Zealand
                            E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
                            Email: john_drummond@...
                            Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz

                            On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Rob <mailto:Rob.Kau%40gmail.com> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Hi Frans. I obtained permission from each of the four photographers to use
                            > their images and post to the comets_ml and ASV Comet Section groups, so I
                            > don't think I'm the person to ask for permission. All I can say is that
                            > once an image is posted it is in the public domain and the normal
                            > etiquettes apply. Good luck with your paper!
                            >
                            > Cheers -
                            >
                            > Rob
                            >
                            > --- In mailto:comets-ml%40yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Rob,
                            > >
                            > > Making a paper for a meeting here in Genk at the Cosmodrome , I will
                            > show the photo's if permitted.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks .
                            > > Frans.

                          • sandpiper21212
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 28, 2011
                              I'm not familiar with Australian or New Zealand law, but from a journalism POV, it is unethical. You own the copyright, and media outlets should respect it. Unfortunately, there's less and less respect for these rules on the internet these days. As an editor friend of mine described it, "it's a free-for-all out there!"

                              I'm a writer for a science web site (Earthsky.org), and have been covering Comet Lovejoy for them. For my work, I obtained permission from two Australian photographers, and they were also kind enough to share more images than i had asked for.

                              My suggestion is that you reinforce your rights. If you don't want your work reproduced without permission, print a copyright notice at the bottom of each image (or clearly in the caption). If you prefer to release it to the public domain but would like to exercise some control over how your images are used (for instance, non-profit only, proper credit, etc.), you can use a creative commons license (see http://creativecommons.org/about). It won't stop people from stealing it, but will give you a good reason to send them a stern reprimand about their lack of respect for your work.

                              It's unfortunate that people don't respect the hard work that went into taking some of those extraordinary images. Personally speaking, i am very grateful. And the response to the images in the two pieces I wrote has been very positive -- people LOVE Comet Lovejoy!

                              cheers,
                              Shireen
                              Baltimore, MD, USA