C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy)

  • Jakub Černý
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
      Hello all,

      Comets gets weaker, today pictures in V-filtered exposures giving at 20.34
      UT: ~3.5 mag (comparsion tar TYC 7364-2287-1 ).

      Filtered images from FRAM this morning (average of best pictures).

      http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/1220average_r_dbe_1.png

      http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/1220average_v_dbe_1.png

      Best regards,

      Jakub Cerny

    • kronk@cometography.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
        These are very interesting images. Either the nucleus and bright tail
        ray have been merged during the processing of these images or the
        distinct nucleus has broke up...appearing like a bar. This latter
        description has been given before when nuclei have been reported to
        break up.

        Gary

      • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
          > These are very interesting images.

          And compare them to Lovejoy's rising tails as they were just imaged at
          dawn in Australia:
          http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=84440 - any spacecraft
          still tracking the comet?

          Dan
        • Alan Watson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
            Gidday Alll,
            This animation from Karl shows the comet fading in STEREO HI1A. A dust
            tail wedge is getting longer and broader, sits on top of original dust tail.
            There is a small recurring spike tail near and below the head that seems to
            be from a rotating nucleus.

            http://sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil/index.php?p=images/lovejoy/lovejoy_hi1a_srem_dec18_19.gif

            Where would all the new dust be coming from? There rate of new dust tail
            extension is occurring rapidly. Possible breakup starting?

            Kind regards, Alan Watson

            *How to loose an argument with a scientist . . .*
            *... I can only make assumptions. You have to be trained too Theorize....8)*

          • Jakub Černý
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
              Hello Gary,

              Definitively its not merged due processing, you can see single image here:

              http://smph.kommet.cz/20111220081448-465-RA.jpg

              yesterday there was found new featured in comet tail which looks like synchrone in middle of tail. Today its is brightest part of comet while head is much less prominent and regular tail is now much weaker.

              You can see the evolution on pictures:

              18.36 UT http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/averagev_1.png

              19.35 UT http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v1219_1.png

              20.34 UT http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/1220average_v_dbe_1.png

              Jakub

              These are very interesting images. Either the nucleus and bright tail
              ray have been merged during the processing of these images or the
              distinct nucleus has broke up...appearing like a bar. This latter
              description has been given before when nuclei have been reported to
              break up.

              Gary

            • David Nicholls
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                The two images on that link look surprisingly similar to the tail of Ikeya Seki, though (alas) nowhere near as bright - so far as I can tell.

                DN (Still in cloudy Canberra)

              • kronk@cometography.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                  The sudden appearance of bright rays are not uncommon when it comes to a
                  comet breaking up. Check out the following link on my Cometography web
                  site that discusses comet C/1999 S4 (LINEAR):

                  http://cometography.com/lcomets/1999s4.html

                  If you scroll down a bit, you will see two pictures from 1999 July 21,
                  that show a bright tail ray. Within days the comet was unmistakably
                  breaking up.

                  By the way the link to my comet Lovejoy web page is as follows:

                  http://cometography.com/lcomets/2011W3.html

                  Sincerely,
                  Gary

                • Burkhard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                    Dan,

                    > And compare them to Lovejoy's rising tails as they were just imaged at
                    > dawn in Australia:
                    > http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=84440 - any spacecraft still tracking the comet?

                    Great!!
                    It is still at the edge of the FOV of STEREO A HI1 - latest image in HiRes: http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/browse//2011/12/18/ahead/hi1/512/20111218_232901_s4h1A.jpg