Lovejoy this morning!

  • Bomber2 Panther
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
      Hi all,

      I observed Lovejoy this morning from Woolbrook, NSW, i am so excited, at 4am AEDST i took an image of the Eastern horizon and upon looking at the image i noticed a thin "search beam" like extension pointing up from the SE, tilted a little to the North. I looked with my naked eye and saw what appeared to be headlights of a car near my horizon but it didn't seems to move, long story short....the tail i measured over the next 50 mins was nearly 15 degrees long and in moonlight!
      Clouds not long intervened at dawn and i tried for the comet head but saw nothing in my 10" dob.

      Images to follow!

      Cheers,
      Chris Wyatt
      Walcha, NSW
      Australia

    • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
        G'Day All

        I saw it too! Despite the comet being in the direction of the largest
        collection of lights around, the cement plant. Details and images here
        http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-saw-it-comet-lovejoys-tail-in.html

        Didn't see the head either, the key seems to be
        a) have a flat horizon and
        b) Start looking well before Nautical twilight! (I started at NT and
        the comet tail was lost very soon after)

        Another 4 am shot from Perth at Iceinspace
        http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=84440

        Cheers! Ian
        At 05:48 AM 21/12/2011, you wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I observed Lovejoy this morning from Woolbrook, NSW, i am so
        >excited, at 4am AEDST i took an image of the Eastern horizon and
        >upon looking at the image i noticed a thin "search beam" like
        >extension pointing up from the SE, tilted a little to the North. I
        >looked with my naked eye and saw what appeared to be headlights of a
        >car near my horizon but it didn't seems to move, long story
        >short....the tail i measured over the next 50 mins was nearly 15
        >degrees long and in moonlight!
        >Clouds not long intervened at dawn and i tried for the comet head
        >but saw nothing in my 10" dob.
        >
        >Images to follow!
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Chris Wyatt
        >Walcha, NSW
        >Australia

        Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis, Michael James and Andrew
        Thomas Musgrave
        reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
        Southern Sky Watch http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm
        (scroll down right hand menu)
        AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
        Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
        http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
      • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
        • Robert McNaught
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
          • Rodney Austin
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
              Hi All,
              I finally saw Comet Lovejoy from Churchill Heights in New Plymouth, New
              Zealand this morning. I got out just after 4am and got diverted by a
              housing moving exercise before getting to my spot at 4:30am. The sky was
              rapidly brightening so I couldn't see the comet by naked eye, only just
              barely visible in 7x50s. The head was invisible, but I estimated it would
              have been right on the horizon, going by the narrowing of the tail. The
              length I estimated at greater than 8 degrees. The sky was the clearest I
              have seen for some weeks, but with a very light film of smoke haze over the
              central North Island. Mts Ruapehu and Ngaruhoe were easily visible, even
              prior to the twilight glow outlining them.
              Rod

            • andres
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
                OMG !! what a beautiful picture Dan ! Congratulations!
                I´ll try some shots next morning from Argentina.
                Best regards,
                Andrés Chapman.
                http://observatoriocruzdelsur.blogspot.com/

                --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, dfischer@... wrote: