Possible synchrone in C/2011 W3 tail

  • Jakub Černý
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
      Hello all,

      As Jan Ebr already wrote, FRAM successfully picture comet by a 200 mm
      telephoto lens piggybacked on the main telescope, using also a KAF-1603
      camera (from FLI).

      You can see processed image on adress:

      http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/averagewf1219_1.png

      On classical V-filtered pictures from 30-cm Meade SCT F/10 (0.66x) are more
      features visible today!

      Some faint "outter tail" is now visible and there is something new, which
      looks like a ray in tail from nucleus looks like a synchrone.

      http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v1219_1.png

      Best regards,

      Jakub Cerny

    • opisska
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
        Dear colleagues,

        I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to continue our observation campaing with FRAM.

        We started it out of curiosity if we can do it and then it turned out that we are one of very few observatories to actually see something (at least judging from the internet, where not much else could be found) and I felt that what we gained was valuable.

        Now that the comet is constantly visible and very bright, it seems that many people have the opportunity to observe it. There is no problem to continue for us if it is worth doing and maybe someone will be interested in our data eventually. But if someone can tell me that the observations are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same time, I can change my priorities (I have to wake up every morning to do the images manually, as I cannot right now convince the scheduler to observe the comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also, donwloading, checking etc. the data takes some time).

        Thanks for any opinions,
        Jan
      • Bomber2 Panther
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
          Hi Jan,
          My feelings are, why not keep doing what you're doing!?
          Once in a lifetime opportunities don't come along very often, grab it with both hands!

          At least that's what i'd be doing if it wasn't for the clouds!
          When C/2006 P1 was around i observed it for 2 weeks straight, many a time i stayed around and watched it set.

          Cheers,
          Chris Wyatt
          Walcha, NSW
          Australia

          > To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
          > From: janebr@...
          > Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 22:59:11 +0000
          > Subject: [comets-ml] C/2011 W3 - still usefull to observe?
          >
          > Dear colleagues,
          >
          > I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to continue our observation campaing with FRAM.
          >
          > We started it out of curiosity if we can do it and then it turned out that we are one of very few observatories to actually see something (at least judging from the internet, where not much else could be found) and I felt that what we gained was valuable.
          >
          > Now that the comet is constantly visible and very bright, it seems that many people have the opportunity to observe it. There is no problem to continue for us if it is worth doing and maybe someone will be interested in our data eventually. But if someone can tell me that the observations are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same time, I can change my priorities (I have to wake up every morning to do the images manually, as I cannot right now convince the scheduler to observe the comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also, donwloading, checking etc. the data takes some time).
          >
          > Thanks for any opinions,
          > Jan

        • Bob King
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
            Hi Jan,
            Your photos are simply beautiful. Those of us living in the north who
            have no opportunity to see the comet are very grateful for your work.
            They're the best ground photos I've seen to date. And if you're tired,
            just take a break from shooting and set the alarm for another morning
            when you're well rested. We really appreciate all your efforts, and I
            know I'm speaking for many other comet enthusiasts who read and enjoy
            the data and photo links posted to this list.
            Bob

            On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM, opisska <janebr@...> wrote:

            > Dear colleagues,
            >
            > I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to continue our observation campaing with FRAM.
            >
            > We started it out of curiosity if we can do it and then it turned out that we are one of very few observatories to actually see something (at least judging from the internet, where not much else could be found) and I felt that what we gained was valuable.
            >
            > Now that the comet is constantly visible and very bright, it seems that many people have the opportunity to observe it. There is no problem to continue for us if it is worth doing and maybe someone will be interested in our data eventually. But if someone can tell me that the observations are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same time, I can change my priorities (I have to wake up every morning to do the images manually, as I cannot right now convince the scheduler to observe the comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also, donwloading, checking etc. the data takes some time).
            >
            > Thanks for any opinions,
            > Jan

          • John Drummond
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
              Hi Jakub, what location were these images of C/2001 W3 taken from? – excuse my ignorance...

              Great images by the way!

              Regards

              John Drummond
              Possum Observatory Complex
              International Astro Union Code: E94
              Gisborne, New Zealand
              E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
              Email: john_drummond@...
              Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                Hello John,

                It is Argentina, malargue, the telescope is operating in Pierre Auger observatory.

                Jakub

                Email: john_drummond@... <mailto:john_drummond%40xtra.co.nz>

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                  Thanks Jakub. One New Zealand observer visually spotted the tail this morning (see below). I’m frustratingly in cloud until tomorrow(?)

                  Hi All,
                  I'm afraid that I have disappointing news for any would be comet observers. Noel Munford & I spent nearly 40 minutes on my driveway looking for and trying to photograph Comet Lovejoy C/2011 W3. There was a bank of cloud up to 3.5 degrees high along our eastern horizon. In growing twilight at approximately (2011 Dec 19) 16.00 hours U.T. I spotted in 10 x 50 binoculars a 30' - 40' tail in p.a. 120 degrees (11 o'clock angle) projecting from the cloud tops.
                  Noel took a photo in that direction through his DSLR on a tripod and will process it later this morning N.Z. time to see if he can detect what I saw. Noel couldn't confirm the tail when he viewed through the bino's. I was very certain that I could still see it on a second attempt. The comet's head should have been about 30' above the cloud bank but could not be detected in binoculars!
                  There was about 86 years of observing experience standing on my rural driveway, and only one of us was sure that the tail was visible at all! We could easily see Antares rise well clear of the clouds, and a little later Mercury was plain to see as well. Mercury was a little bit lower in the sky than the predicted position of the comet. It would appear that the nucleus has had a dramatic drop in magnitude over the past few days. I feel that the tail would have stood out more against a dark background for sure.
                  My observing location was at Sluggish Creek Observatory, Glen Oroua, Manawatu, New Zealand. 175 degrees 20' 00" E, -40 deg 20' 00"
                  Cheers
                  Coops (Ian Cooper)

                  Regards

                  John Drummond
                  Possum Observatory Complex
                  International Astro Union Code: E94
                  Gisborne, New Zealand
                  E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
                  Email: john_drummond@...
                  Website: www.possumobservatory.co.nz
                  It is Argentina, malargue, the telescope is operating in Pierre Auger observatory.

                  Jakub

                  Hi Jakub, what location were these images of C/2001 W3 taken from? – excuse my ignorance...

                  Great images by the way!

                  Regards

                  John Drummond
                  Possum Observatory Complex
                  International Astro Union Code: E94
                  Gisborne, New Zealand
                  E: 177d 53', S: 38d 38'
                  Email: mailto:john_drummond%40xtra.co.nz <mailto:john_drummond%40xtra.co.nz>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                    Hi Jan
                    I have to echo Bob’s comments. For those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere who have no opportunity to observe this comet your images and the excitement with which you commented during the publishing of them has brought this comet to life for us. Your ground based images give us a vital normalised link to those somewhat surreal spacecraft images, a view which we can only experience via the internet, but your images are examples what we work to achieve every observing session. I can understand that you are tiring of the task, you have been magnificent in your effort. If you can keep going then you will have provided a unique homogenous set of data that only you can now provide. There was a famous quote which went “when you are going through hell, keep going”.
                    Best wishes
                    Denis

                  • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                      > Those of us living in the north who have no opportunity to see the comet

                      Oh, really? How about http://www.astrosurf.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/032557.html
                      from southern France on Saturday -
                      http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Vincent-JACQUES-f-ff-fff_msq_1324194382.jpg
                      and http://www.leguideduciel.net/lgdc/lgdctextes/lgdc59.php featured these
                      amazing daylight images, too. Was just a question of sky clarity ...

                      Dan
                    • Bob King
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                        Very good, Daniel! Those are amazing images. I should have said before
                        sunrise while still near perihelion and bright. Now you've got me
                        thinking that I should try to photograph it in broad daylight myself
                        tomorrow morning.
                        Thanks,
                        Bob

                        On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM, <dfischer@...-bonn.de> wrote:

                        > > Those of us living in the north who have no opportunity to see the comet
                        >
                        > Oh, really? How about http://www.astrosurf.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/032557.html
                        > from southern France on Saturday -
                        > http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Vincent-JACQUES-f-ff-fff_msq_1324194382.jpg
                        > and http://www.leguideduciel.net/lgdc/lgdctextes/lgdc59.php featured these
                        > amazing daylight images, too. Was just a question of sky clarity ...
                        >
                        > Dan

                      • mas
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                          Hi Jan.
                          So as Bob, let me tell you that I really appreciate all photos you have
                          shared with us and I take this opportunity to thank you sincerely.
                          I woke up early this 4 last days to observe C/2011 W3 but the weather has
                          not been helpful at all, keeping our south east horizon cloudy.
                          Your photos were a great consolation!!
                          Merci, Jan.

                          Marc
                          Noumea
                          New Caledonia

                          > Your photos are simply beautiful. Those of us living in the north who
                          > have no opportunity to see the comet are very grateful for your work.
                          > They're the best ground photos I've seen to date. And if you're tired,
                          > just take a break from shooting and set the alarm for another morning
                          > when you're well rested. We really appreciate all your efforts, and I
                          > know I'm speaking for many other comet enthusiasts who read and enjoy
                          > the data and photo links posted to this list.
                          > Bob
                          >
                          > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM, opisska <janebr@...> wrote:
                          >>

                          >> Dear colleagues,
                          >>
                          >> I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to continue our observation
                          >> campaing with FRAM.
                          >>
                          >> We started it out of curiosity if we can do it and then it turned out
                          >> that we are one of very few observatories to actually see something (at
                          >> least judging from the internet, where not much else could be found) and
                          >> I felt that what we gained was valuable.
                          >>
                          >> Now that the comet is constantly visible and very bright, it seems that
                          >> many people have the opportunity to observe it. There is no problem to
                          >> continue for us if it is worth doing and maybe someone will be interested
                          >> in our data eventually. But if someone can tell me that the observations
                          >> are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same
                          >> time, I can change my priorities (I have to wake up every morning to do
                          >> the images manually, as I cannot right now convince the scheduler to
                          >> observe the comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also, donwloading,
                          >> checking etc. the data takes some time).
                          >>
                          >> Thanks for any opinions,
                          >> Jan
                        • Tony Beresford
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                            At 10:02 AM 20/12/2011, you wrote:
                            >Hi Jakub, what location were these images of
                            >C/2001 W3 taken from? – excuse my ignorance...
                            >
                            >Great images by the way!
                            >
                            >Regards
                            >
                            >John Drummond
                            John its MPC code I47

                            Tony Beresford
                          • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                              G'Day Jan

                              Yes, keep observng, the more reports the better,
                              and here in Australia the potential observatories
                              are mostly clouded out at the moment :-(

                              Cheers! Ian
                              At 09:29 AM 20/12/2011, Jan wrote:

                              >Dear colleagues,
                              >
                              >I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to
                              >continue our observation campaing with FRAM.
                              >
                              >We started it out of curiosity if we can do it
                              >and then it turned out that we are one of very
                              >few observatories to actually see something (at
                              >least judging from the internet, where not much
                              >else could be found) and I felt that what we gained was valuable.
                              >
                              >Now that the comet is constantly visible and
                              >very bright, it seems that many people have the
                              >opportunity to observe it. There is no problem
                              >to continue for us if it is worth doing and
                              >maybe someone will be interested in our data
                              >eventually. But if someone can tell me that the
                              >observations are redundant and there are a dozen
                              >others looking at W3 in the same time, I can
                              >change my priorities (I have to wake up every
                              >morning to do the images manually, as I cannot
                              >right now convince the scheduler to observe the
                              >comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also,
                              >donwloading, checking etc. the data takes some time).
                              >
                              >Thanks for any opinions,
                              >Jan

                              Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis,
                              Michael James and Andrew Thomas Musgrave
                              reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
                              Southern Sky Watch
                              http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm (scroll down right hand menu)
                              AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
                              Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
                              http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
                            • mAs
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                                Hi Jan.

                                As a lot of forumers earlier, let me tell you that I really appreciate all photos you have kindly shared with us and I take this opportunity to thank you sincerely.
                                I woke up early this 4 last days to observe and shoot C/2011 W3 but the weather here down south west pacific has not been helpful at all, keeping our south east horizon cloudy.

                                --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "opisska" <janebr@...> wrote:

                                > Dear colleagues,
                                >
                                > I would like to ask, wherher it is usefull to continue our observation campaing with FRAM.
                                >
                                > We started it out of curiosity if we can do it and then it turned out that we are one of very few observatories to actually see something (at least judging from the internet, where not much else could be found) and I felt that what we gained was valuable.
                                >
                                > Now that the comet is constantly visible and very bright, it seems that many people have the opportunity to observe it. There is no problem to continue for us if it is worth doing and maybe someone will be interested in our data eventually. But if someone can tell me that the observations are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same time, I can change my priorities (I have to wake up every morning to do the images manually, as I cannot right now convince the scheduler to observe the comet automatically so deep into twilight. Also, donwloading, checking etc. the data takes some time).
                                >
                                > Thanks for any opinions,
                                > Jan

                              • terryjlovejoy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                                  Hi Jan,

                                  Please continue making observations - I look forward to your daily updates! At the moment there is still a dearth of observations (large parts of Australia for instance are clouded out). I tried this morning and unfortunately the sky was cloudy in the direction of the comet.

                                  Terry
                                • gvnn64@libero.it
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 20, 2011
                                    Dear Jan.

                                    > But if someone can tell me that the observations are redundant and there are a dozen others looking at W3 in the same time, I can change my priorities

                                    There are several good reasons to urge you continuing the good work you are doing. IMHO, one of the uppermost, is that you are among the few, if any, using photometric filters to image the comet.

                                    So, please, don't give up.

                                    Bye,
                                    Giovanni
                                  • Adam
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 20, 2011
                                      I process only 4 FITS from STEREO-A HI1 (18 Dec. 2011)
                                      Tail have about 15 deg long

                                      Take a look to animation

                                      http://komety.astrowww.pl/c2011w3_stereo-a_hi1_20111218.gif

                                      Adam