Re:[comets-ml] C/2011 W3 - a glorious tail

  • opisska
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
      Sorry, I just posted it quickly out of excitement :)
      It is taken several minutes ago at FRAM site (Malargue, Argentina) by a 200 mm telephoto lens piggybacked on the main telescope, using also a KAF-1603 camera (from FLI) that gives about 9 arcsec per pixel, that gives about 40 minutes for the visible aprt of the tail.

      Jan

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "gvnn64\@...\.it" <gvnn64@...> wrote:

      > Very impressive, Jan!
      >
      > Taken from where and when?
      >
      > Bye,
      > Giovanni
      >
      > > you just have to see this
      > >
      > > http://ccd.wz.cz/tail.jpg
      > >
      > > Even a 200 mm lens is short enough for the tail!
      > >
      > > Jan

    • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
        G'Day All

        WOAH! Nice, very nice.

        So, potentially unaided eye visible?

        Cheers! Ian
        At 07:29 PM 19/12/2011, Jan wrote:

        >Sorry, I just posted it quickly out of excitement :)
        >It is taken several minutes ago at FRAM site
        >(Malargue, Argentina) by a 200 mm telephoto lens
        >piggybacked on the main telescope, using also a
        >KAF-1603 camera (from FLI) that gives about 9
        >arcsec per pixel, that gives about 40 minutes for the visible aprt of the tail.
        >
        >Jan
        >
        >--- In
        ><mailto:comets-ml%40yahoogroups.com>comets-ml@yahoogroups.com,
        >"gvnn64\@...\.it" <gvnn64@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Very impressive, Jan!
        > >
        > > Taken from where and when?
        > >
        > > Bye,
        > > Giovanni
        > >
        > > > you just have to see this
        > > >
        > > > <http://ccd.wz.cz/tail.jpg>http://ccd.wz.cz/tail.jpg
        > > >
        > > > Even a 200 mm lens is short enough for the tail!
        > > >
        > > > Jan

        Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis,
        Michael James and Andrew Thomas Musgrave
        reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
        Southern Sky Watch
        http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm (scroll down right hand menu)
        AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
        Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
        http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
      • P. Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
          I am getting "Page Not Found" on this link.

          > Even a 200 mm lens is short enough for the tail!
          >
          > Jan

        • opisska
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
            I am seeing it fine. The server had some problems in thelast days, maybe you hit the bad period.

            Anyway, I have to set up a proper wepage soon. I never imagined that we will ever produce any images that will be of interest to anyone and now I am getting image permissions emails! What an unexpected twist of events...

            Jan

          • kdrako@cebridge.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
              I've been unable to hit that link for hours....
              Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ccd.wz.cz.

              Also had trouble from home several days ago.

              Strange that I can hit it from my DroidX with no issue.

              Kenneth Drake

            • kdrako@cebridge.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
                I've been having the same issue for several hours...
                Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ccd.wz.cz.

                I'm using a wireless from a location not at home but had similar issues from home several days ago hitting the .wz.cz server.

                I can hit the link from my DroidX

                Kenneth Drake

                ---- "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
                > I am getting "Page Not Found" on this link.

              • walcom77
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
                  > I've been unable to hit that link for hours....

                  I have no problem here in Italy to see the image.

                  Anyway I just uploaded Jan's image here so that you can see it:

                  http://bit.ly/uL0HIR

                  Ciao,
                  Ernesto
                  http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                  http://twitter.com/comets77
                • P. Clay Sherrod
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
                    I am still not able to connect to it. Can someone post this on another link so that
                    it can be accessed?

                    Clay
                    _____
                    Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
                    Arkansas Sky Observatories
                    MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                    MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                    MPC H43 - Conway West
                    http://www.arksky.org/

                    > I've been having the same issue for several hours...
                    > Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ccd.wz.cz.
                    >
                    > I'm using a wireless from a location not at home but had similar issues from home
                    > several days ago hitting the .wz.cz server.
                    >
                    > I can hit the link from my DroidX
                    >
                    > Kenneth Drake
                    >

                    > ---- "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
                    >> I am getting "Page Not Found" on this link.

                  • P. Edward Murray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 19, 2011
                      I wish to each of you a happy holiday season and wish to say thanks for your contributions.
                      For me, Astronomy AND the study of comets has always been a haven for me against all comers,
                      against all the toil and trouble in the world and especially today in my own life...

                      May the peace and goodness of this season find it's way into your lives and heal whatever
                      problems confront you!

                      Cordially,

                      P. Edward Murray