C/2011 W3 photographed at dawn

  • opisska
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
      Hi all,

      after a little fight with the telescope unwilling to observe in broad daylight, I managed the snap a couple of pictures. Here is an ugly preview, we definitely need to clean the optics, but the telescope is ... remote.

      http://camur.wz.cz/12161.jpg

      The weather is amazingly cooperative.Yesterday it was cloudy, today - completely clear! It is only ap itty that it is cloudy here in Europe.

      Jan
    • Jakub Černý
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
        Hello All,

        As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
        observed comet in both R and V filters.

        Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT

        Some clouds was on image and really bad gradient (+ some old flats)

        You can see some processed images of comet on theese links:

        R-filtered: (average 6x 3/1000 s exposures)

        http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png

        V-filtered: (average 13x 3/1000 s exposures)

        http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png

        Best regards,

        Jakub Cerny

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
          > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
          > observed comet in both R and V filters. Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT
          > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
          > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png

          Thanks Jakub & Jan. Very nice images!!

          The similarity with the January 2007 aspect of comet C/2006 P1 is
          remarkable, with the dark ''shadow of the nucleus'' feature which
          "seemed" to split the tail into two components.

          Here is an image of C/2006 P1 we took on January 23, 2007 :

          http://bit.ly/vFbmmi

          Ciao,
          Ernesto
          http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
          http://twitter.com/comets77
        • gvnn64
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
            Hello J.J. (Jan+Jakub),
            very nice and difficult shoot, my sincere congratulations!

            Yes Ernesto, it's very similar to P/2006 P1, even if the "scale" of the apparition is different..

            Now waiting the broadlight visual report of the other J.J. :-)

            Bye,
            Giovanni
            --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Èerný <kaos@...> wrote:

            > Hello All,
            >

            > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
            > observed comet in both R and V filters.
            >

            > Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT
            >
            > Some clouds was on image and really bad gradient (+ some old flats)
            >

            > You can see some processed images of comet on theese links:
            >

            > R-filtered: (average 6x 3/1000 s exposures)
            >
            > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
            >

            > V-filtered: (average 13x 3/1000 s exposures)
            >
            > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png
            >

            > Best regards,
            >
            > Jakub Cerny

          • opisska
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
              Allow me to correct Jakub a little.

              The images they used to make the composites have all sorts of different exposure times. But the camera behaves oddly at these "extreme" settings, good and bad frames are somewhat evenly distributed accross the sample of exposures and good images with "0.1" and "0.0003" look moreorless the same. Until further investigation, the exposure of these frames remains a mystery.

              Jan

              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Èerný <kaos@...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >

              > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
              > observed comet in both R and V filters.
              >

              > Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT
              >
              > Some clouds was on image and really bad gradient (+ some old flats)
              >

              > You can see some processed images of comet on theese links:
              >

              > R-filtered: (average 6x 3/1000 s exposures)
              >
              > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
              >

              > V-filtered: (average 13x 3/1000 s exposures)
              >
              > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png
              >

              > Best regards,
              >
              > Jakub Cerny

            • Jakub Černý
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                Hello Ernesto,

                That processing of C/2006 P1 image is nice, maybe you are interested to play
                with FRAM data this morning and process it to look for some structures in
                coma?

                We can send you original data if you are interested.

                Best regards,

                Jakub Cerny

                > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
                > observed comet in both R and V filters. Images was obtained between time:
                8:57 and 9:05 UT
                > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
                > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png

                Thanks Jakub & Jan. Very nice images!!

                The similarity with the January 2007 aspect of comet C/2006 P1 is
                remarkable, with the dark ''shadow of the nucleus'' feature which
                "seemed" to split the tail into two components.

                Here is an image of C/2006 P1 we took on January 23, 2007 :

                http://bit.ly/vFbmmi

                Ciao,
                Ernesto
                http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                http://twitter.com/comets77

              • tricks46
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                  Reminds of another.
                  http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={CFAF96E4-7E0D-4F1B-89F1-B843E5D4D7F9}&ndx=1&slideshow=0&AlbumId={EC923061-DDBC-46AC-AA41-B8512421CAD6}&GroupId=&screenheight=1024

                  --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "gvnn64" <gvnn64@...> wrote:

                  > Hello J.J. (Jan+Jakub),
                  > very nice and difficult shoot, my sincere congratulations!
                  >
                  > Yes Ernesto, it's very similar to P/2006 P1, even if the "scale" of the apparition is different..
                  >
                  > Now waiting the broadlight visual report of the other J.J. :-)
                  >
                  > Bye,
                  > Giovanni
                  > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Èerný <kaos@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello All,
                  > >

                  > > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
                  > > observed comet in both R and V filters.
                  > >

                  > > Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT
                  > >
                  > > Some clouds was on image and really bad gradient (+ some old flats)
                  > >

                  > > You can see some processed images of comet on theese links:
                  > >

                  > > R-filtered: (average 6x 3/1000 s exposures)
                  > >
                  > > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
                  > >

                  > > V-filtered: (average 13x 3/1000 s exposures)
                  > >
                  > > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png
                  > >

                  > > Best regards,
                  > >
                  > > Jakub Cerny

                • tricks46
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                    Try again
                    http://fototime.com/9946F7A4800C86A/orig.jpg

                    --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "tricks46" <tricks46@...> wrote:

                    > Reminds of another.
                    > http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={CFAF96E4-7E0D-4F1B-89F1-B843E5D4D7F9}&ndx=1&slideshow=0&AlbumId={EC923061-DDBC-46AC-AA41-B8512421CAD6}&GroupId=&screenheight=1024
                    >

                    > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "gvnn64" <gvnn64@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello J.J. (Jan+Jakub),
                    > > very nice and difficult shoot, my sincere congratulations!
                    > >
                    > > Yes Ernesto, it's very similar to P/2006 P1, even if the "scale" of the apparition is different..
                    > >
                    > > Now waiting the broadlight visual report of the other J.J. :-)
                    > >
                    > > Bye,
                    > > Giovanni
                    > > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Èerný <kaos@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello All,
                    > > >

                    > > > As Jan said, robotic telescope FRAM (0.3-m SCT f/10) has successfully
                    > > > observed comet in both R and V filters.
                    > > >

                    > > > Images was obtained between time: 8:57 and 9:05 UT
                    > > >
                    > > > Some clouds was on image and really bad gradient (+ some old flats)
                    > > >

                    > > > You can see some processed images of comet on theese links:
                    > > >

                    > > > R-filtered: (average 6x 3/1000 s exposures)
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_r_dbe_1.png
                    > > >

                    > > > V-filtered: (average 13x 3/1000 s exposures)
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.kommet.cz/datas/users/average_v_dbe_1.png
                    > > >

                    > > > Best regards,
                    > > >
                    > > > Jakub Cerny

                  • tricks46
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                      C/2004 F4 Bradfield

                      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "tricks46" <tricks46@...> wrote:

                      > Try again
                      > http://fototime.com/9946F7A4800C86A/orig.jpg
                      >
                      > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "tricks46" <tricks46@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Reminds of another.
                      > > http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={CFAF96E4-7E0D-4F1B-89F1-B843E5D4D7F9}&ndx=1&slideshow=0&AlbumId={EC923061-DDBC-46AC-AA41-B8512421CAD6}&GroupId=&screenheight=1024
                      > >

                      > > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "gvnn64" <gvnn64@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello J.J. (Jan+Jakub),
                      > > > very nice and difficult shoot, my sincere congratulations!
                      > > >
                      > > > Yes Ernesto, it's very similar to P/2006 P1, even if the "scale" of the apparition is different..
                      > > >
                      > > > Now waiting the broadlight visual report of the other J.J. :-)
                      > > >
                      > > > Bye,
                      > > > Giovanni

                    • ligustri rolando
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                          > after a little fight with the telescope unwilling to observe in broad daylight, I managed the snap a couple of pictures. Here is an ugly preview, we definitely need to clean the optics, but the telescope is ... remote.
                          >
                          > http://camur.wz.cz/12161.jpg
                          >
                          > The weather is amazingly cooperative.Yesterday it was cloudy, today - completely clear! It is only ap itty that it is cloudy here in Europe.
                          >
                          > Jan

                        • David Nicholls
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                            Annoyingly, I did not receive the original message. What a gorgeous photo… 2 questions: what is the scale (i.e. how long a tail does it show? And: from where was it photographed?

                            DN

                            On 18/12/2011, at 4:44 PM, ligustri rolando wrote:

> [...]
                          • David Nicholls
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 17, 2011
                              Belay that. I see the image was 2006 P1.

                              Please post with enough ID to show what's in the image, you'll give me a heart attack!! ;-)

                              DN

                              On 18/12/2011, at 5:34 PM, David Nicholls wrote:

                              > Annoyingly, I did not receive the original message. What a gorgeous photo… 2 questions: what is the scale (i.e. how long a tail does it show? And: from where was it photographed?
                              >
                              > DN

                            • walcom77
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 18, 2011
                                Dear Jakub

                                > That processing of C/2006 P1 image is nice, maybe you are interested to
                                play
                                > with FRAM data this morning and process it to look for some structures in
                                > coma? We can send you original data if you are interested.

                                Yes, Thanks!! We'll be happy to work with these FRAM fits.

                                Ciao,
                                Ernesto
                                http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                                http://twitter.com/comets77

                              • Anthony
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 18, 2011
                                  Terry et al,

                                  Can I assume the orbital elements have remained the same and in spite of the close passage to the Sun? The only reason I am asking is due to the fact people were expecting the comet to plunge into the sun and which clearly did not happen.

                                  Thanks in advance!

                                  Anthony.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 18, 2011
                                    Anthony,

                                    > Can I assume the orbital elements have remained the same and in spite of the
                                    > close passage to the Sun? The only reason I am asking is due to the fact people
                                    > were expecting the comet to plunge into the sun and which clearly did not
                                    > happen.

                                    the orbital elements will have changed in any case but we have no new orbit
                                    including post-perihelion astrometry. Even the orbit pre-perihelion was not
                                    definite.

                                    I think it was never said that the comet would plunge into the sun since the
                                    perihelion distance was still outside the suns surface - with or without
                                    barycenter effect.

                                    Cheers, Maik
                                  • Anthony
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 18, 2011
                                      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Maik Meyer" <maik@...> wrote:

                                      > Anthony,
                                      >
                                      > > Can I assume the orbital elements have remained the same and in spite of the
                                      > > close passage to the Sun? The only reason I am asking is due to the fact people
                                      > > were expecting the comet to plunge into the sun and which clearly did not
                                      > > happen.
                                      >
                                      > the orbital elements will have changed in any case but we have no new orbit
                                      > including post-perihelion astrometry. Even the orbit pre-perihelion was not
                                      > definite.
                                      >
                                      > I think it was never said that the comet would plunge into the sun since the
                                      > perihelion distance was still outside the suns surface - with or without
                                      > barycenter effect.

                                      Thanks, Maik. That was my suspicion and I/we will have to wait for new orbital elements.

                                      Anthony.

                                    • gvnn64@libero.it
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 19, 2011
                                        Dears Jakub, Jan and all.

                                        > That processing of C/2006 P1 image is nice, maybe you are interested to play
                                        > with FRAM data this morning and process it to look for some structures in
                                        > coma?

                                        Ernesto has passed me yours original fits, to play with. Thanks for it!

                                        I sorted and stacked the best V-filtered frames, and have done some image processing on it. You can find here the result: http://tinyurl.com/7j6q9y4
                                        (please, double check if the North-East orientation I put in the captions is correct).

                                        Basically, it appears that, apart the two "tail branches", we have an asymmetric coma. In some treatement, there is the hint of a "curved jet" or "shell" (or whatever you would call it) in the inner coma, that appears to originate from the central condensation, developing in a "counterclockwise" direction. Obviously this stuff has to be confirmed in further images, to make sure it's not an artefact of my image processing.

                                        Bye,
                                        Giovanni
                                      • P. Edward Murray
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 19, 2011
                                          Excellent! Thank you Giovanni for sharing!

                                          Ed Murray