Re: COMET C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY)

  • Karl Battams
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
      This is wonderful news! Terry was one of the early pioneers of SOHO comet hunting, with SOHO-74 (C/1999 O1) being his first I believe, and is now the first person to discover a Sungrazer from both ground and space-based telescopes. Congratulations, Terry!!

      Assuming (hoping) this comet survives to perihelion or thereabouts, we will certainly be trying for special observations with SOHO and STEREO; we have those discussions underway already.

      Regards,
      Karl

      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, walcom77 <walcom77@...> wrote:

      > Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
      >
      > http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
      >
      > Congrats Terry!!
      >
      > Ciao,
      > Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
      > http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
      > http://twitter.com/comets77

    • Bob King
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
        Let me chime in also Terry -- CONGRATULATIONS on your latest discovery!
        Bob

      • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
          > Let me chime in also Terry -- CONGRATULATIONS on your latest discovery!

          Dito from me! But where can one find an account of the discovery's
          *circumstances*? There are Wikipedia articles in three languages about
          Terry already, but I can't find anything like a homepage nor a blog report
          on the discovery.

          Dan
        • denis buczynski
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
            Huge congratulations Terry on this discovery from all your friends and colleagues in the BAA Comet Section.
            Wow what a week! With two of the most distinguished comet observers in our community discovering new comets.Let us hope that more are to follow.
            It would be great to hear the discovery circumstances written up by both Claudine and Terry so that we can appreciate the diligent observational methodologies employed and share in the excitement of those discovery moments.
            Best wishes
            Denis Buczynski
            Sectretary BAA Comet Section

            > Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
            >
            > http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
            >
            > Congrats Terry!!
            >
            > Ciao,
            > Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
            > http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
            > http://twitter.com/comets77

          • Michal Kusiak
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
              Terry, let me also to congratulate you on this dicovery!

              I am waiting for your next sungrazing comets. :)

              Michal

              Dnia 2 grudnia 2011 23:05 dfischer@...-bonn.de napisał(a):
               > Let me chime in also Terry -- CONGRATULATIONS on your latest discovery!
              Dito from me! But where can one find an account of the discovery's
              *circumstances*? There are Wikipedia articles in three languages about
              Terry already, but I can't find anything like a homepage nor a blog report
              on the discovery.
              Dan

            • David Seargent
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                Terry,
                Great to see that your comet is now official! Congratulations on your third!

                Warmest,
                David

                To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
                From: komeciarz@...
                Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 23:15:08 +0100
                Subject: Re: [comets-ml] Re: COMET C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY)

                Dnia 2 grudnia 2011 23:05 dfischer@...-bonn.de napisa�(a):
                > Let me chime in also Terry -- CONGRATULATIONS on your latest discovery!
                Dito from me! But where can one find an account of the discovery's
                *circumstances*? There are Wikipedia articles in three languages about
                Terry already, but I can't find anything like a homepage nor a blog report
                on the discovery.
                Dan

              • John Sachs
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                  A big congrats Terry on your new comet! Outstanding!!

                  John Sachs

                  --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Battams" <karlbattams@...> wrote:

                  > This is wonderful news! Terry was one of the early pioneers of SOHO comet hunting, with SOHO-74 (C/1999 O1) being his first I believe, and is now the first person to discover a Sungrazer from both ground and space-based telescopes. Congratulations, Terry!!
                  >
                  > Assuming (hoping) this comet survives to perihelion or thereabouts, we will certainly be trying for special observations with SOHO and STEREO; we have those discussions underway already.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Karl
                  >
                  > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, walcom77 <walcom77@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
                  > >
                  > > Congrats Terry!!
                  > >
                  > > Ciao,
                  > > Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
                  > > http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                  > > http://twitter.com/comets77

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                    Congratulations Terry, a very special discovery! The comet has a nice green response in RGB. Here's composite of the comet's movement over almost 40 mins this morning (rough!):
                    http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/C2011W32Dec2011compc.jpg

                    Cheers -

                    Rob Kaufman
                    Bright, Vic, Australia

                    --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "John Sachs" <jsachs1@...> wrote:

                    > A big congrats Terry on your new comet! Outstanding!!
                    >
                    > John Sachs
                    >

                    > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Battams" <karlbattams@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > This is wonderful news! Terry was one of the early pioneers of SOHO comet hunting, with SOHO-74 (C/1999 O1) being his first I believe, and is now the first person to discover a Sungrazer from both ground and space-based telescopes. Congratulations, Terry!!
                    > >
                    > > Assuming (hoping) this comet survives to perihelion or thereabouts, we will certainly be trying for special observations with SOHO and STEREO; we have those discussions underway already.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Karl
                    > >
                    > > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, walcom77 <walcom77@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
                    > > >
                    > > > Congrats Terry!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Ciao,
                    > > > Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
                    > > > http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                    > > > http://twitter.com/comets77

                  • andres
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                      Congratulations Terry! New boy here from Buenos Aires,Argentina.
                      It was an exiting confirmation last night!
                      Greetings to all
                      Andres Chapman MPC I39
                      http://observatoriocruzdelsur.blogspot.com/
                    • tonyjhoffman
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                        Congrats, Terry--wonderful news! I hope I'll get a chance to observe my first Kreutz comet ever.

                        Tony

                        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, walcom77 <walcom77@...> wrote:

                        > Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
                        >
                        > http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
                        >
                        > Congrats Terry!!
                        >
                        > Ciao,
                        > Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
                        > http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                        > http://twitter.com/comets77

                      • Rodney Austin
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                          Congratulations Terry! It's been a while since a sungrazer has been found
                          other than by SOHO.
                          Cheers
                          Rod

                        • David Seargent
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                            Hi all,

                            If the present intrinsic brightness of C/2011 W3 holds to perihelion, it should equal the brightest of the comets found by space-based coronagraphs in recent years, becoming at least as bright as, for instance, C/2010 E6. But it is also possible that this comet represents a different class of mini sungrazers that become active further out and fade away before reaching perihelion. Du Toit in December 1945 might be a similar (though intrinsically brighter) member of the same type, if it did indeed fade out prior to perihelion.
                            If 2011 W3 does NOT fade out and becomes visible in SOHO and STEREO images around mid-month, it will be interesting to see whether it sprouts a faint, straight, secondary tail like 2010 E6 did. This was assumed to be a plasma tail, but (as far as I could tell) did not show any fine rays. Was it really a plasma tail at all? Recall that when 2006 P1 passed perihelion, STEREO images also detected a faint, straight but featureless tail. This was apparently not a plasma tail, but a type not seen previously - a tail of neutral iron atoms believed to have been released by the evaporation of particles of (or containing) troilite. If W3 behaves like 2010 E6 and developes a secondary tail that looks like plasma but appears to be without rays, it might be, not an ION tail, but an IRON tail! At least, that is an interesting possibility.
                            What ever happens, this new comet is certainly an intriguing one.
                            Cheers,
                            David

                            To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
                            From: rodcomet@...
                            Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 19:38:35 +1300

                            Congratulations Terry! It's been a while since a sungrazer has been found
                            other than by SOHO.
                            Cheers
                            Rod

                          • Ian Musgrave & Peta O'Donohue
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                              G'Day All

                              Congratulations Terry!, looking forward to it turning up in STEREO.

                              Cheers! Ian
                              At 06:17 AM 3/12/2011, Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni wrote:

                              >Mpec for new comet C/2011 W3 (LOVEJOY) has just been issued:
                              >
                              ><http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html>http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K11/K11X16.html
                              >
                              >Congrats Terry!!
                              >
                              >Ciao,
                              >Ernesto, Nick & Giovanni
                              ><http://remanzacco.blogspot.com>http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
                              >http://twitter.com/comets77

                              Ian Musgrave Peta O'Donohue, Jack Francis,
                              Michael James and Andrew Thomas Musgrave
                              reynella@... http://home.mira.net/~reynella/
                              Southern Sky Watch
                              http://www.abc.net.au/science/space/default.htm (scroll down right hand menu)
                              AstroBlogg http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/
                              Contributing Editor, Sky & Space
                              http://www.skyandspace.com.au/public/home.ehtml
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
                                Hello David, and all,

                                > If the present intrinsic brightness of C/2011 W3 holds to perihelion, it should
                                > equal the brightest of the comets found by space-based coronagraphs in recent
                                > years, becoming at least as bright as, for instance, C/2010 E6. But it is also
                                > possible that this comet represents a different class of mini sungrazers that
                                > become active further out and fade away before reaching perihelion. Du Toit in
                                > December 1945 might be a similar (though intrinsically brighter) member of the
                                > same type, if it did indeed fade out prior to perihelion.

                                I have a gut feeling (yes, very scientific, I know) that this one IS different to
                                the normal SOHO Kreutz comets breed. It is in 16 years the first Kreutz to have
                                been discovered from Earth and this makes it very different from all others.

                                What that means I do not know. The best or the worst.

                                Lets wait and see. It will be interesting to see the brightness evolution in the
                                coming days.

                                Cheers, Maik
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                  I wrote

                                  > the normal SOHO Kreutz comets breed. It is in 16 years the first Kreutz to have
                                  > been discovered from Earth and this makes it very different from all others.

                                  make that "..in 16 years of the SOHO mission..". Of course the last Kreutz from
                                  Earth was in 1970.

                                  Cheers, Maik
                                • Jose Carvajal
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                    Good Job Terry!!. Awaiting the next one...

                                    Jose.
                                  • Jakub Černý
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                      Congrats Terry for briliant object discovery!

                                      I am hoping for very bright Kreutz comet J.

                                      However there is lact of data about Kreutz comets before perihelion, so what
                                      will happen to this one would be really surprise (bad or good).

                                      Best regards,

                                      Jakub Cerny

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                        Congratulations Terry.

                                        Could someone please advise me on when the comet will likely enter SOHOs field plus perihelion date. I don't usually follow Sun grazing comets. Given the Australian connection, I want to put a blog post on my website and I don't want to get the details wrong.

                                        Regards,

                                        Paul Floyd.
                                        www.nightskyonline.info

                                      • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                          > Could someone please advise me on when the comet will likely enter SOHOs
                                          > field plus perihelion date.

                                          See
                                          http://cosmos4u.blogspot.com/2011/12/first-ground-based-discovery-of-kreutz.html
                                          for various links about the comet. The answers are Dec. 12 and Dec. 16 at
                                          0:00 UTC, but that'll surely change with more astrometry.

                                          Dan
                                        • Seiichi Yoshida
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
                                            Dear Terry Lovejoy,

                                            Congratulations for your discovery of a new sungrazer comet! It is
                                            really exciting to hear that a Kreutz sungrazer comet was discovered
                                            on the ground! Unfortunately, we in the Northern Hemisphere cannot see
                                            it...

                                            I hope C/2011 W3 is a harbinger of another series of bright Kreutz
                                            comets in early 21st century, like in late 19th or mid 20th century.

                                            Today I updated my web pages to introduce this comet.

                                            Seiichi Yoshida
                                            comet@...
                                            http://www.aerith.net/
                                          • Adam
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 4, 2011
                                              I made 2 track animations:
                                              1) to SOHO LASCO C2 and C3 views
                                              2) to STEREO-A HI 1 views

                                              1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSbdBF0XaI
                                              2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9jwIXBCCQ

                                              > Congratulations Terry.
                                              >
                                              > Could someone please advise me on when the comet will likely enter SOHOs field plus perihelion date. I don't usually follow Sun grazing comets. Given the Australian connection, I want to put a blog post on my website and I don't want to get the details wrong.
                                              >
                                              > Regards,
                                              >
                                              > Paul Floyd.
                                              > www.nightskyonline.info

                                            • amar10sharmaa
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 5, 2011
                                                Hello comet-eers,

                                                Congratulations to Terry, from India, for his third comet discovery.

                                                Somewhere I had glanced a radical view. If you want to look for comets, look at the time when Sun's cyclic activity increases (ofcourse, dependency of comet's brightening on the Sun).

                                                Does that idea hold sanity that we might have enhanced 'detection' of sungrazers around the time of upcoming solar maximum next year? This is apart the independent fact, if Seiichi vouches, that may there be active sungrazer batches or streams around.

                                                In short, is such a time then a good time to go hunting for sungrazers, and what better, even comets in general?

                                                Regards,
                                                Amar A. Sharma
                                                Bangalore, India
                                                +12* 58' / 77* E 30'

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 5, 2011
                                                  Hi Amar,
                                                  Interestingly enough this is not a new idea. Apparently someone told Louis
                                                  Pons much the same thing about 230 years ago. "Look when there are spots on
                                                  the sun". Found something like 30 (?) in the end. Can't remember where I
                                                  saw that, but it was several years ago.
                                                  Cheers
                                                  Rod

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 8, 2011
                                                    And add track from STEREO-B HI 1 views

                                                    3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylXoIU8C1A

                                                    --

                                                    STEREO-B - entered 11 Nov 2011 ~12:30 UT
                                                    STEREO-A - entered 12 Nov 2011 ~13:30 UT

                                                    ---------

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 8, 2011
                                                      correction, no Nov but Dec ;)

                                                      STEREO-B - entered 11 Dec 2011 ~12:30 UT
                                                      STEREO-A - entered 12 Dec 2011 ~13:30 UT
                                                      SOHO LASCO C3 - entered 13 Dec 2011 ~19:30 UT

                                                      > --
                                                      >
                                                      > STEREO-B - entered 11 Nov 2011 ~12:30 UT
                                                      > STEREO-A - entered 12 Nov 2011 ~13:30 UT
                                                      > SOHO LASCO C3 - entered 13 Nov 2011 ~19:30 UT

                                                    • RICHARD MILES
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 11, 2011
                                                        John,

                                                        Look at the "Ahead HI1" frames.

                                                        Starting with the 2011 Dec 10 07:18:01 STEREO Ahead HI1 frame, an object
                                                        elongated in the direction of the Sun begins to appear from the left-hand
                                                        side of the image and develops in size and intensity over the next 24 hours
                                                        (sequential images every 2 hours). It is also moving relative to the
                                                        stellar background.

                                                        Richard

                                                        > Is that Comet C/2011 W3 in the current raw Behind HI-1 images?
                                                        >
                                                        > Go to http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/images and select...
                                                        > Telescope to "BEHIND HI1"
                                                        > Display to "SLIDESHOW"
                                                        > Latest n images to "10"
                                                        > Resolution to "512x512"
                                                        > then select "SEARCH".
                                                        >
                                                        > Something appears to be heading toward the sun. Look between the "11" in
                                                        > the bottom caption's date.
                                                        >
                                                        > John
                                                        > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <limax7@...> wrote:
                                                        >>
                                                        >> correction, no Nov but Dec ;)
                                                        >>
                                                        >> STEREO-B - entered 11 Dec 2011 ~12:30 UT
                                                        >> STEREO-A - entered 12 Dec 2011 ~13:30 UT
                                                        >> SOHO LASCO C3 - entered 13 Dec 2011 ~19:30 UT
                                                        >>
                                                        >> > --
                                                        >> >
                                                        >> > STEREO-B - entered 11 Nov 2011 ~12:30 UT
                                                        >> > STEREO-A - entered 12 Nov 2011 ~13:30 UT
                                                        >> > SOHO LASCO C3 - entered 13 Nov 2011 ~19:30 UT

                                                      • Alan Watson
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 11, 2011
                                                          Gidday all,
                                                          The object elongated is an artifact due to Jupiter entering into the STEREO
                                                          Ahead HI1 FOV.
                                                          The comet will enter the ahead FOV on tomorrows images along the lower edge.

                                                          The other suspect in the (Is that Comet C/2011 W3 in the current raw Behind
                                                          HI-1 images?)
                                                          Behind HI1 FOV is likely to be the comet. Just need better resolution
                                                          images to confirm it.

                                                          kind regards, Alan Watson.