Last comet discovered in Africa

  • pivatte@bluewin.ch
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hello all,

      On 2011 11 28 Claudine Rinner discovered the periodic comet P/2011 W2 at J43-Oukaimeden observatory
      situated
      in Morroco. Can anyone on this list call tell me what is the last comet discovered from Africa before P/2011
      W2?

      Thanks for any informations.

      Michel Ory
      185 and J43
      http://www.jura-observatory.ch
    • Alan Hale
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi Michael, and all,

        This is off the top of my head and I'm not sure it's the most recent one,
        but Jose Campos found P/Haneda-Campos (D/1978 R1 = 1978j) from Durban, South
        Africa.

        Sincerely,

        Alan
      • Hidetaka
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
          Hi Michael and all,

          The last comet discovered at Africa was probably C/1974 V2 (Bennett), which was discovered at Pretoria, South Africa.

          regards
          Hidetaka Sato

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "pivatte@..." <pivatte@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > On 2011 11 28 Claudine Rinner discovered the periodic comet P/2011 W2 at J43-Oukaimeden observatory
          > situated
          > in Morroco. Can anyone on this list call tell me what is the last comet discovered from Africa before P/2011
          > W2?
          >
          > Thanks for any informations.
          >
          > Michel Ory
          > 185 and J43
          > http://www.jura-observatory.ch

        • reinder j bouma
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
            On 1-12-2011 13:21, pivatte@... wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > On 2011 11 28 Claudine Rinner discovered the periodic comet P/2011 W2 at J43-Oukaimeden observatory
            > situated
            > in Morroco. Can anyone on this list call tell me what is the last comet discovered from Africa before P/2011
            > W2?
            >
            > Thanks for any informations.
            >
            > Michel Ory
            > 185 and J43
            > http://www.jura-observatory.ch

            Hi Michel,

            First of all, congrats to J43 for this find.
            As far as I know P/Haneda-Campos was the last comet discovered in
            Africa, in 1978.

            best regards,
            Reinder

            Reinder J. Bouma e-mail (1): rjbouma@...
            Bekemaheerd 77 e-mail (2): comets@...
            9737PR Groningen homepage: http://www.shopplaza.nl/astro/
            The Netherlands phone: +31 (0)50-5418227
          • maiki666
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
              Michel,

              > in Morroco. Can anyone on this list call tell me what is the last comet discovered from Africa before P/2011
              > W2?

              it is

              D/1978 R1 (Haneda-Campos).

              José da Silva Campos discovered this comet independently from Haneda on Sep. 1, 1978 from Durban, South Africa.

              Kind regards, Maik
              --
              www.comethunter.de
            • Mike Begbie
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
                Hi Alan and Maik and all

                Correct! Jose Campos was the last to discover a
                comet from Africa. He was the director of the
                Comet and Meteor Section of ASSA, at the time of
                the International Halley Watch and co-ordinated
                all onward transmissions of our observations to
                Steve Edberg at JPL. His immediate successor as
                Director is still in the position...Tim Cooper.

                Regards

                Mike