Re: C/2010 X1 Elenin in October 27, 2011

  • hiro
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2011
      Thanks Terry,

      It was astonishing for me that the tail was still very long beyond my expectation and had somewhat complex structure with irregularities. I hoped to image some debris other than the tail-like structure, but I failed to image them. There may remain some possibility to image them with faster optics and tracking system, for example with Metcalf method, which I can not apply now with my equipment.

      I tried another extreme enhancement of the frame. I feel that this frame shows greenish ion coma as in other bright comets.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/6294440336/

      I'd like to thank J.J.Gonzalez, who presented his visual observation of the comet on October 21, 2011. I could enjoy imaging of the comet as an amateur for more than a week since then.

      hiro
    • Jakub Černý
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2011
        Hello Hiro,

        This is awesome image that breaks apart my imagination of what I am looking
        for!

        If you really succeeed to image some gas structure that means, some activity
        still persist. The only thing that comes on my mind is that there may exist
        some cometesimal-like fragments in line of tail that still outgassing!

        Unfortunately when i calculated an expected magnitude for cometesimals with
        expected diameter between 20 - 50 meters assuming albedo 0.05, I am getting
        their actual brightness 28.8 mag (20-m) to 26.9 mag (50-m) . thats quest for
        some very large telescope L

        Best regards,

        Jakub Cerny

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2011
          Thanks Jakub,

          The comet still remains the system as a comet, which has core or cores, some are emitting ion and small particles, and it shows us the yellowish tail and the possible greenish ion coma. I feel this a rational conclusion of this image. I do not know what kind of equipment we need for imaging them, because we have no information on the strict size and the strict albedo of the residual core, fragments, or debris.

          It is obvious that we need more imaging trial. The complex or irregular structure of the tail or tail-like structure may be of not a core but multiple cores, though I do not expect that I can image the cores with my small and simple equipment.

          Best wishes,
          hiro