[comets-ml] C/2010 X1 remnant: successful observation

  • Uwe Pilz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2011
      Dear observers,

      last night I had the chance to look at the remnant of comet Elening from my rural
      observation site. I finished my observation at 1:45h UT, the comet stood 65° high
      then. The faintest star was around 6m5 in the Gemini-Auriga region. Because of
      the expected large size I selected my 12 cm comet catcher and used it at 15x.

      I could see the remnant without any doubt. The calculated position of Elenin was
      6h16m, 30°54'. I saw a faint streak from 6h12m, 30°56' to 6h 8m, 30° 46'. The
      width was aroun 7', the length 40'. I took special attention not to be fooled by
      faint stars or brightness variations as an eypiece effect.

      This observation reminded me observing the Gegenschein with the unaided eye, but
      the remnant is more longish.

      --
      Uwe Pilz, German group.

      .

      .

      .

      .

      Hol Dir das Notizbuch von uni.de: Schreibe dazu einen Artikel zum aktuellen Monatsthema und mit etwas Glück wird dein Artikel veröffentlicht. Alle Infos hier: http://uni.de/redaktion/nachwuchsjournalisten-gesucht