Re:[comets-ml] C/2010 X1 remnant.

  • gvnn64@libero.it
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
      Dears all,
      personally I consider the case of C/2010 X1 one of the most intriguing examples of cometary behaviour of the past few years, so bizarre even in the vast "bestiary" annals of cometary observations.

      Knowing the seriousness of J.J. himself, I'm persuaded that he is truly convinced to see something out there. And no, I haven't any reliable explanation to reconcile all the negative reports that are conflicting with his finds.

      However, if J.J. (that I had the pleasure to know in person) says that he is able to see the comet remains (and he did it twice), for me it's just fine, and I will do my best to search again and again for them, with all the means I have at my disposal.

      Until a definitive proof of the contrary (and I don't consider yet the CCD negative reports as such, in spite of the fact that some of them came from my team), I still consider the reports of J.J. of the uppermost value, and hope to find soon a reasonable explanation of the facts and, hopefully, to learn a bit more about comets.

      Now we have a second positive sighting from J.J. (today's report): in a few days, with the waning moon, we should be able to collect enough reports to clarify the situation...

      Clear skies and good hunt,
      Giovanni

      > C/2010 X1 :
      > 2011 Oct. 21.00 UT: m1=10.2, Dia.=7', DC=1/,
      > Tail: 0.4 deg. in PA 310 deg, 20 cm SCT (77x).
      > [ The comet's remnant appears visually like a very
      > diffuse tail-like morphology, observable for 0.4 deg
      > along the major axis, showing two near-circular areas of
      > similar brightness with a slightly higher degree of condensation
      > and 7' of diameter. One of this areas, with geometric center
      > located approximately at R.A.=8h00m.5, Decl.=+28o26'.0
      > (Oct. 21.00 UT), was close to the ephemeris position.
      > The other area's center was located at R.A.=7h59m.5,
      > Decl.=+28o34'.5. The motion of both areas was followed
      > for 40 minutes, being consistent with the ephemeris.
      > Observation made before moonrise, from mountain location
      > with very good seeing, under slightly better conditions than
      > twelve days ago (Oct.9). Nearby field stars checked in DSS.
      > Altitude: 16 deg.].
      >
      > ( Alto del Castro - Aralla, alt. 1720 m, Leon, Spain ).

      > ICQ Format:
      >
      > 2010X1 2011 10 21.00 S 10.2 TK 20.3T10 77 7 1/ 0.4 310 ICQ
      > XX GON05
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > J. J. Gonzalez

    • ligustri rolando
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
        https://picasaweb.google.com/107386404051271210368/Varie#5665923791962030258

        I wanted to try to photograph the area
        I used a telescope that has given me a wide field,
        with an sensor with a high efficiency in the near infrared (ST10Xme)
        to further improve the sensitivity I used it in bin 2x2.
        to reduce the disturbance of the moon I used a filter Ic

        at the end, mediating the 40 photos I came to record stars of 17^
        the sky background does not exceed 780 counts

        but, honestly, I do not find anything in the picture.

        best regards
        Rolando Ligustri
        ===============================
        C.A.R.A. http://cara.uai.it
        CAST: Circolo AStrofili Talmassons
        www.castfvg.it/fotoccd.htm#comete
      • gvnn64
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
          I wrote this message on Oct.21, I have no idea why it has been posted only now...
          Bye,
          Giovanni

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "gvnn64\@...\.it" <gvnn64@...> wrote:

          > Dears all,
          > personally I consider the case of C/2010 X1 one of the most intriguing examples of cometary behaviour of the past few years, so bizarre even in the vast "bestiary" annals of cometary observations.
          >
          > Knowing the seriousness of J.J. himself, I'm persuaded that he is truly convinced to see something out there. And no, I haven't any reliable explanation to reconcile all the negative reports that are conflicting with his finds.
          >
          > However, if J.J. (that I had the pleasure to know in person) says that he is able to see the comet remains (and he did it twice), for me it's just fine, and I will do my best to search again and again for them, with all the means I have at my disposal.
          >
          > Until a definitive proof of the contrary (and I don't consider yet the CCD negative reports as such, in spite of the fact that some of them came from my team), I still consider the reports of J.J. of the uppermost value, and hope to find soon a reasonable explanation of the facts and, hopefully, to learn a bit more about comets.
          >
          > Now we have a second positive sighting from J.J. (today's report): in a few days, with the waning moon, we should be able to collect enough reports to clarify the situation...
          >
          > Clear skies and good hunt,
          > Giovanni
          >

          > > C/2010 X1 :
          > > 2011 Oct. 21.00 UT: m1=10.2, Dia.=7', DC=1/,
          > > Tail: 0.4 deg. in PA 310 deg, 20 cm SCT (77x).
          > > [ The comet's remnant appears visually like a very
          > > diffuse tail-like morphology, observable for 0.4 deg
          > > along the major axis, showing two near-circular areas of
          > > similar brightness with a slightly higher degree of condensation
          > > and 7' of diameter. One of this areas, with geometric center
          > > located approximately at R.A.=8h00m.5, Decl.=+28o26'.0
          > > (Oct. 21.00 UT), was close to the ephemeris position.
          > > The other area's center was located at R.A.=7h59m.5,
          > > Decl.=+28o34'.5. The motion of both areas was followed
          > > for 40 minutes, being consistent with the ephemeris.
          > > Observation made before moonrise, from mountain location
          > > with very good seeing, under slightly better conditions than
          > > twelve days ago (Oct.9). Nearby field stars checked in DSS.
          > > Altitude: 16 deg.].
          > >
          > > ( Alto del Castro - Aralla, alt. 1720 m, Leon, Spain ).

          > > ICQ Format:
          > >
          > > 2010X1 2011 10 21.00 S 10.2 TK 20.3T10 77 7 1/ 0.4 310 ICQ
          > > XX GON05
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > >
          > > J. J. Gonzalez

        • Alan Hale
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
            Dear Giovanni, and all,

            > I wrote this message on Oct.21, I have no idea why it has been posted only
            > now...

            I think there may have been some kind of worldwide "e-mail black hole"
            around that time, at least for Yahoo. Over the past couple of days I've
            received several comets-ml posts (including, just now, the obviously
            outdated one I posted then) as well as posts from other Yahoo mailing lists
            I'm on.

            On the subject, yesterday morning I observed the tail remnant for the fourth
            time. It is definitely "there," but very subtle, and the best way to detect
            it visually is by seeing it move against the background star field. I am
            hoping that, sometime before the coming full moon, I get a chance to see it
            agasint a relatively empty star field; it is difficult to discern any kind
            of size or shape when there are a lot of background stars, as is the case
            now.

            Sincerely,

            Alan
          • gvnn64@libero.it
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
              Dear Alan and all,
              yes, after receiving also several other's outdated mail issuances, I realized that something was wrong with Yahoo! itself.

              Regards comets Elenin remnant, I was planning to shoot it tonight after the moonset, however I'm not sure at all if it will be worth, since it is just a few degrees from the Galactic plane; plenty of field stars there, as you noticed in your observations...

              Bye,
              Giovanni