Re: 213P further fragmentation

  • gvnn64
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
      Dear Rob and all.

      > Any more information on this? Japanese language web sites:
      >
      > http://www.miz.nao.ac.jp/ishigaki/content/news20110907
      > http://www.astroarts.co.jp/news/2011/09/09van_ness/index-j.shtml

      Finally we were able to perform some additional follow-up about this comet on 2011, Sep. 20 and 21, through the 2-m Failkes Telescope South at Siding Spring (Australia).

      Apart from the already known fragment "b", we found evidence of an additional chunk (we called "part-y") that follows 213P/Van Ness; its displacement seems to be compatible with the one labeled as "C" on the image obtained by the Ishigaki Island Observatory team, you linked above.

      In our stackings, there isn't any evidence about what they called "D" (the brighter and sharper of the three, according the image they posted), in spite of the fact that it was supposed to be well within the frame in our field of view. Either it fizzle out, or was an artefact (more likely).

      The complete story with details, image, animation, etc. has been posted in our blog: http://bit.ly/n6FIIf

      Bye,
      Giovanni, Nick and Ernesto
    • Soulier Jean-François
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
        Hello to all the list.

        I looked at my pictures of Van Ness 213P track of possible condensation (c) and (d) given by the author.
        http://www.miz.nao.ac.jp/ishigaki/content/news20110907
        Through Dr. Yoshida, I was able to by Mr. Hideo Fukushima, the relative positions with respect to the nuclear center (a) :

        213P-b
        9/7.72807 [UT]
        magnitude: 20 Rc
        separation from the primary nucleus: 5.8616 '
        position angle from the primary nucleus: 239o.79
        apparent diameter: 5.1 "
        tail: 0.5 '

        213P-c
        9/7.72807 [UT]
        magnitude: 21 Rc
        separation from the primary nucleus: 4.6242 '
        position angle from the primary nucleus: 240o.22
        apparent diameter: 3.6 "
        no tail

        213P-d
        9/7.72807 [UT]
        magnitude: 21 Rc
        separation from the primary nucleus: 7306 '
        position angle from the primary nucleus: 240o.89
        apparent diameter: 5.1 "
        no tail

        On my registration of 20110830.97, or 30x120s, components (c) and (d) also appear to be present...??...
        http://6888comete.free.fr/images/forum/213P20110830fragcbd.jpg
        My relative positions with respect to the nuclear center (a) are respectively :

        b : 5.50 '
        c : 4.39 '
        d : 7.18 '
        + / -0.02 '

        A difference with the values ​​of Mr. Hideo Fukushima
        to and from:

        b : 0.36 '
        c : 0.23 '
        d : 0.12 '
        + / - 0.02 '

        Astrometric position:
        AS 0255-m f/3.6 Newtonian reflector + CCD
        NET USNO-B1.0
        0213P-b KC2011 08 30.97747 23 02 54.80 +04 20 15.8 21.5 N C10
        0213P-c KC2011 08 30.97747 23 02 58.92 +04 20 54.8 21.4 N C10
        0213P-d KC2011 08 30.97747 23 02 49.42 +04 19 37.8 20.8 N C10
        ----- End -----

        = Radius of opening in Astrometric: 8 ", for a sampling of 2.04" / pix.

        I therefore send you this observation to determine firstly if other observers are similar images at this date,
        on the other hand, it is possible to validate or not, a check of the relative positions, the image of the author,
        most recently Faukles 2m and that of mine ?

        In advance thank you for your feedback about it.
        N / B : at the same time I sent a message to the MPC's office (no answer yet).

        Best regards to all the list members.
        SOULIER Jean-François
        C10/France

        De : gvnn64 <gvnn64@...>
        À : comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
        Envoyé le : Jeudi 22 Septembre 2011 12h26
        Objet : [comets-ml] Re: 213P further fragmentation

      • gvnn64@libero.it
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
          Dear Jean-François,
          thanks for yours feed-back.

          > I therefore send you this observation to determine firstly if other observers are similar images at this date,
          > on the other hand, it is possible to validate or not, a check of the relative positions, the image of the author,
          > most recently Faukles 2m and that of mine ?

          I'm not at all an expert about orbital calculations, anyway I run for run your single night observation of fragment c (equivalent in our nomenclature to "part-y") together with our data of Sep. 20 and 21, under FIND_ORB. The residuals are good (about 0.5 arcsec RMS), so apparently it might be the same fragment.

          However, with such short observing arc (only three night, one of which with only one data point) is nearly impossible to tell (a number of fictitious orbits would fit, anyway).

          If we have further astrometry (included those from the Ishigaki Island Observatory team) it would be possible to provide a more confident answer.

          Bye,
          Giovanni Sostero
        • walcom77
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 23, 2011
            Hi All

            With just updated the post "Further fragmentation events in 213P/Van
            Ness" with new image and animation that clearly show the fragment we
            called "part-y". While fragment b is now extremely weak and diffused
            (uncondensed coma about 7-arcsec in diameter):

            http://bit.ly/n6FIIf

            Direct links to new image and animation:

            http://tinyurl.com/3b4szo3

            http://tinyurl.com/3prauj9

            Ciao,
            Ernesto, Giovanni and Nick