Re: [comets-ml] Re: 1P/Halley

  • Rodney Austin
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
      I think I'll just have to get another one of my own. I'm working on my new
      16" and finally it is making progress. Perhaps it will carry on the good
      tradition - each time I rebuilt or updated a telescope I found another
      comet. It might also cause Lorraine to change her mind and let me survive a
      few more years. [?]
      Rodney

    • Roger W. Sinnott
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
        Isn't it about time for a professional team to image the outward-bound
        Halley again? In March 2003, Olivier Hainaut's team used three of the
        8.2-meter VLT reflectors in Chile to produce a single stacked image that
        showed Comet Halley at roughly the distance of Neptune. The comet was then
        in Hydra, at magnitude 28.2. It will reach aphelion in 2023.

        Roger

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
          The original press release for the March 2003 observations stated that
          the VLT should be able to observe the comet when it reaches its furthest
          point from the sun during 2023 December, meaning that "astronomers now
          possess the means to observe [the comet] at any point in its 76-year
          orbit!"

          Gary