C/2011 L4

    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 8 12:25 PM
      Hello all,

      what a promising discovery!

      Perihelion at 0.36 AU not before April 2013. Taking the current CCD mags this could
      mean a 2 mag comet around perihelion, but badly placed around the time of maximum
      brightness. Given the fact that the absolute magnitude is currently underestimated
      it might be even brighter... if, yes, if it behaves well. ;) For northern
      hemisphere observers the post-perihelion leg will be best.

      Interestingly the MOID to Jupiter is only 0.013 AU!

      Cheers, Maik
    • amar sharma
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hello Rich and all,
        I heard the word "equatorial" and that caught my attention.
        Rarely are equatorial residents treated with brighter comets. 2006 P1 McNaught was a treat for northern-ers and better later
        for southern-ers, leaving us here in a deadlock; it wasnt visible except as a bright smudge with short tail. Much later only its tail rising above the horizon (when it was down south) was visible for our location for couple days (and it was clouded when I headed out!). There have been few other instances too when we equatorials were unable to see comets due to better visibility only on the other ends.
        What you quoted "Perhaps equatorial observers will be able to follow it all the way through perihelion and give us northerners a heads up" is very interesting news, for once we at equatorial latitudes will be able to follow-up prior to others. If thats the case I will surely be doing so, granted clear skies in this bad-weathered city where I live. I reside at latitude +12 at Bangalore, India.
        I had a question from
        sometime for the experts which is similar to what you posted "Although it won't be bright enough against the twilight background it will be at its best as an evening object. Just after perihelion with the comet seen against a civil or nautical twilight background".
        Can PanSTARRS be likened to 2004 Bradfield, at its current expectation of 2nd magnitude? Would the dust tail be as bright - what is its current estimate like? Or lesser or better? Any ion tail expectations alongside, visible in twilight?

        http://komety.astrowww.pl/foto/c_2004f4/full/2004f4_2004_0424_b.jpg

        or
        http://komety.astrowww.pl/foto/c_2004f4/full/2004f4_2004_0425_h.jpg
        understand the tail prospect must have been discussed earlier. However, can anyone give a round-up estimate once again? Would be interesting to know.
        Regards, Amar A. Sharma.
        --- On Sun, 17/2/13, Rich <stargazer_08121961@...> wrote:

        If it can continue its present rally, it may yet attain second or even first magnitude. Perhaps equatorial observers will be able to follow it all the way through perihelion and give us northerners a heads up. Although it won't be bright enough against the twilight background to become an awesome object for the general public, L4 has some advantages. It will be at its best as an evening object, and so more convenient for most people. Light pollution may be relatively insignificant near and just after perihelion with the comet seen against a civil or nautical twilight background. And of course L4 will be great practive for ISON, which just might be the genuine article!