COBS - Comet Observing Planner

  • Jure Zakrajšek
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
      Dear Comet observers

      We have added a new Comet observing planner tool to the COBS website which
      is groving every day. A lot of new observers have joined and more than 2100
      observations are stored in the database.

      The new tool creates a list of observable comets for the given date. The
      comets are sorted by the time best observed.
      - By defaul the list is calculated for Observatory Crni Vrh (Slovenia).
      - The registred users can enter their observing location in the user
      profile. This location is than used to calculate the observable comet list.
      The location latitude and longitude need to be entered as a decimal numbers
      (positive are to the N and E).
      - All the times are by default displayed in GMT unless a time zone is
      specified in the user profile.
      - The lenght of the observing session, limiting magnitude and minimum
      altitude of the comet can be used to narow the list of observable comets.
      - If the form is left empty the planner will calculate the observable list
      for todays date.

      Also some changes have been made in the analysis pages.
      COBS now can plot the date of perihelion and fit a standard photometric
      curve through the observations. H0 and N parameters are calculated and
      displayed beside the curve.

      Please feel free to try the new tools. If you need any help or you find any
      bugs, please contact me any time.
      The COBS website can be found here:
      http://www.observatorij.org/cobs/

      It would be great if even more observers would join COBS and submit their
      observations.

      Clear skies
      Jure Z

    • denis buczynski
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi Jure,
        I have tried to logon to your site and cannot remember if I am already registered. I have tried to register again but after submission of my personal details the response comes back that the confirmation does not match. I am a bone fide comet observer and have just moved to a new site where I will begin to observe comets again soon. My previous observatory was IAU Code 978. I am a member of the BAA comet Section and Jonathan Shanklin has just appointed me as the BAA Comet Section Secretary. I hope you can help me to register and allow me access to your site and in due course be able to submit comet data to you.
        Best wishes
        Denis

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
          Thank you!

          All OK! :)

          Best regards,
          Artyom.

          db>   Hi Jure,
          db> I have tried to logon to your site and cannot remember if I
          db> am already registered. I have tried to register again but after
          db> submission of my personal details the response comes back that the
          db> confirmation does not match. I am a bone fide comet observer and
          db> have just moved to a new site where I will begin to observe comets
          db> again soon. My previous observatory was IAU Code 978. I am a
          db> member of the BAA comet Section and Jonathan Shanklin has just
          db> appointed me as the BAA Comet Section Secretary. I hope you can
          db> help me to register and allow me access to your site and in due
          db> course be able to submit comet data to you.
          db> Best wishes
          db> Denis

          db> From: Jure Zakrajsek
          db> Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:36 PM
          db> To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
          db> Subject: [comets-ml] COBS - Comet Observing Planner

          db> Dear Comet observers

          db> We have added a new Comet observing planner tool to the COBS website which
          db> is groving every day. A lot of new observers have joined and more than 2100
          db> observations are stored in the database.

          db> The new tool creates a list of observable comets for the given date. The
          db> comets are sorted by the time best observed.
          db> - By defaul the list is calculated for Observatory Crni Vrh (Slovenia).
          db> - The registred users can enter their observing location in the user
          db> profile. This location is than used to calculate the observable comet list.
          db> The location latitude and longitude need to be entered as a decimal numbers
          db> (positive are to the N and E).
          db> - All the times are by default displayed in GMT unless a time zone is
          db> specified in the user profile.
          db> - The lenght of the observing session, limiting magnitude and minimum
          db> altitude of the comet can be used to narow the list of observable comets.
          db> - If the form is left empty the planner will calculate the observable list
          db> for todays date.

          db> Also some changes have been made in the analysis pages.
          db> COBS now can plot the date of perihelion and fit a standard photometric
          db> curve through the observations. H0 and N parameters are calculated and
          db> displayed beside the curve.

          db> Please feel free to try the new tools. If you need any help or you find any
          db> bugs, please contact me any time.
          db> The COBS website can be found here:
          db> http://www.observatorij.org/cobs/

          db> It would be great if even more observers would join COBS and submit their
          db> observations.

          db> Clear skies
          db> Jure Z

          db> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          db> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          db>

          Artyom mailto:astrokarelia@...