On the eastward tail of C/2010 V1 Ikeya-Murakami at the time of discovery

  • Seiichi Yoshida
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2010
      Dear colleagues,

      I received the following report from Shigeki Murakami. Because
      Murakami-san is not a member of comets-ml, I post this on behalf of
      Murakami-san.

      Anybody has comment on this phenomena? I will forward to Murakami-san.

      Thanks in advance,

      -- from here --

      Title: On the eastward tail of C/2010 V1 Ikeya-Murakami at the time of
      discovery

      Dear all,

      I am Shigeki Murakami, a discoverer of C/2010 V1 Ikeya-Murakami.

      Please have a look at Mitsunori Tsumura’s photo taken on Nov. 5,
      19:36:54 UT. You see there is a faint "envelope like structure" directed
      east-southeast as he described.

      http://park10.wakwak.com/~tsumura/comet/comet2010/comet2010V1/comet2010V1.htm

      I have observed a wide and short tail at the time of discovery, which
      was described on IAUC No. 9175 as follows:

      2010 Nov. 3.801 UT, 12h 35m.1, -02 01', mag.=9, coma diameter= 4' , tail
      length= 2', position angle= 90 degrees (east), motion= east 2'/ hour

      I noticed later that the exact direction of the tail was the
      east-southeast (position angle= 120 degrees), since I very clearly
      remember that the tail looked straight up in the field of view: at that
      time the transparency was superb. Therefore, I believe that this tail is
      the same one that is displayed on Tsumura’s photo.

      I described about this but I wonder if there is anyone who noticed this
      "envelope like structure" or "tail" at the early stage of the evolution
      of this comet.

      http://homepage3.nifty.com/cometsm/discovery/C2010V1/East%20ward%20tail%202010V1.html

      I think this tail is something to do with the burst phenomenon.

      /
      / .:;
      * Shigeki Murakami cometsm@...

      English http://homepage3.nifty.com/cometsm/index.html