10P Tempel 2 dust trail

  • Michael Mattiazzo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
      Hello all,

      10P Tempel 2 still displays a prominent but faint dust trail, more than 2
      months after Earth crossed the comets orbital plane.
      Not to be confused with a dust tail, the dust trail is caused by large
      particles that were ejected from the nucleus over prior apparitions and is
      best observed when the Earth is aligned edge-on to the orbit of the comet.
      See an image on October 2, taken by Russell Cockman near Melbourne Victoria.

      http://www.russellsastronomy.com/comet/Tempel2.htm

      This is quite remarkable considering that Earth is 15 degrees away from the
      comets orbital plane.
      Can anyone adequately explain this?

      I presume that Jupiter has had major gravitational influence on the trail
      and dragged it out to such a large extent.
      I also note that the orbit of 10P approaches the orbit of Mars.
      Perhaps a future meteor storm on Mars awaits?

      Kind regards,
      Michael Mattiazzo
      Castlemaine, Victoria,
      Australia.
    • Michael Kelley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2010
        Hi Michael,

        I think that dust trails are much more compact than dust tails. In
        other words, they are more like long cylinders than broad fans, so there
        isn't much of a brightness enhancement at low orbit angles. (Compare a
        glass rod to a glass pane at large and low angles.) Instead, I think
        trail brightness depends more on the number and velocities of large dust
        grains ejected by the comet. It is great to see Tempel 2's dust trail
        in so many optical images!

        Best,
        Mike Kelley

        On 10/16/2010 01:56 AM, Michael Mattiazzo wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > 10P Tempel 2 still displays a prominent but faint dust trail, more than 2
        > months after Earth crossed the comets orbital plane.
        > Not to be confused with a dust tail, the dust trail is caused by large
        > particles that were ejected from the nucleus over prior apparitions and is
        > best observed when the Earth is aligned edge-on to the orbit of the comet.
        > See an image on October 2, taken by Russell Cockman near Melbourne Victoria.
        >
        > http://www.russellsastronomy.com/comet/Tempel2.htm
        >
        > This is quite remarkable considering that Earth is 15 degrees away from the
        > comets orbital plane.
        > Can anyone adequately explain this?
        >
        > I presume that Jupiter has had major gravitational influence on the trail
        > and dragged it out to such a large extent.
        > I also note that the orbit of 10P approaches the orbit of Mars.
        > Perhaps a future meteor storm on Mars awaits?
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Michael Mattiazzo
        > Castlemaine, Victoria,
        > Australia.

      • Robert McNaught
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2010
          On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Michael Kelley wrote:

          > I think that dust trails are much more compact than dust tails. In
          > other words, they are more like long cylinders than broad fans

          I'm afraid this is a common misconception. A "cylinder" composed of
          individual particles cannot remain as a stable structure in orbit.
          Even excluding any differences in relative velocities due to a
          range of ejection speeds, the different distances of the particles
          from the Sun will result in differential velocities that stretch
          the "cylinder" out and also flatten it as the distance from the
          central gravitational body changes.

          The heavier the particle in a dust trail, the more compressed they
          are towards the original comet orbit, due to less influence by solar
          radiation pressure and lower ejection velocities. With time, the
          increasing drift from the comet nucleus will lead to differential
          perturbations from the planets and potentially a dislocation as
          these perturbation histories become more marked. Many such "orphaned"
          trails have been found, which through study of their orbital
          history, may become linked to known comets.

          Cheers, Rob
        • francois Kugel
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2010
            Hi Michael,
            I watched last night 10P/Tempel, and the dust trail is still visible
            despite foggy skies!

            http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/10P.html#101105

            Best regards,
            Francois Kugel