Re: [comets-ml] comet 97P/Metcalf-Brewington

  • Seiichi Yoshida
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
      Dear Andre,

      Thank you for your visiting my web pages!

      Yesterday I received a report from Marco Micheli that 97P was observed
      on Sept. 8.3 and 16.3 using the Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii. It
      was so faint as 21.6 mag.

      Here is the light curve:

      http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0097P/2011.html

      The absolute magnitude of this comet in last three apparitions changed
      as follows:

      1991 H15 = 5.5 mag
      2001 H15 = 9.0 mag
      2011 H15 = 11.5 mag

      If the current brightness is the normal brightness of this comet, it
      brightened by 6 mag in outburst in 1991.

      Seiichi Yoshida
      comet@...
      http://www.aerith.net/
    • andre@andrewulff.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
        Dear Seiichi,

        thank you for your reply and your outstanding work for all comet observer around the world.
        Do you know if Marco Micheli observed 97P near the calculated position and did he report to MPC.

        Best regards,

        Andre Wulff

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
          Dear Alan,

          thank you very much for explaining the circumstances around the return of 97P in 1991. Now I know why the comet resists all attempts of recovery :-)

          Best regards,

          Andre

          Alan Hale <ahale@...> schrieb am 18.09.2010 16:21:
          > Dear Andre, and all,

          Comet 97P was clearly undergoing a significant outburst at the time of its
          discovery in 1991 by Howard Brewington (and independently by several others,
          including Bill Bradfield). I suspect it was probably undergoing a similar
          type of outburst when Joel Metcalf initially discovered it in 1906.

          Following its 1991 return it made a very close approach to Jupiter which
          increased its perihelion distance by 1.0 AU and its orbital period by close
          to three years. Its measured brightness in 2000-01 was indeed fainter than
          the ephemeris predictions by several magnitudes, however these predictions
          were based upon its post-discovery (i.e., post-outburst) brightness in 1991,
          and it really isn't surprising that it was significantly fainter in 2000-01.
          I would expect its brightness around the 2011 perihelion to be similar to
          what it exhibited in 2000-01.

          Sincerely,

          Alan
        • Seiichi Yoshida
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2010
            Dear Andre,

            I did not receive the details of Marco Micheli's observations.

            Marco sent me the observations of 97P and 36P at F65. Those of 36P
            were published in M.P.E.C. 2010-S29.

            So those of 97P will be published in MPC in the future, I think. Maybe
            the MPC editors are waiting for confirmation observations by others.

            Best regards,

            --
            Seiichi Yoshida
            comet@...