2P/Encke in C3 field

  • costeira1
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
      Dears friends,

      In recent days, Comet 2P/Encke is in SOHO C3 field. Did anyone try to detect the comet? I tried, but no positive results.

      Alex!
    • Frans van Loo
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
        Dears,

        Only M67 seen in the field.

        Greets
        FVL
        Genk. B.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2010
          Dears,

          An image from C3 with legends are at my page:

          http://www.costeira1.astrodatabase.net/cometa/2p_ago2010.htm

          I haven't got experience with comet chaser using SOHO images, but like a variable star observer, I can detect stars up to mag 9.1 .

          Alex!

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Frans van Loo" <frans.v.loo@...> wrote:

          > Dears,
          >
          > Only M67 seen in the field.
          >
          > Greets
          > FVL
          > Genk. B.
        • Matson, Robert D.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2010
            Hi Alex,

            I suspect the C3 comet I just reported on the SOHO website is
            Comet 2P/Encke. --Rob

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
              Dears,

              Positive detection in frames after 2010-08-05. Updates webpage with one of frames (2010-08-05 07:18)

              http://www.costeira1.astrodatabase.net/cometa/2p_ago2010.htm

              My estimate for 2P is mV ~ 8.0 .

              Alex!

              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Matson, Robert D." <matsonr@...> wrote:

              > Hi Alex,
              >
              > I suspect the C3 comet I just reported on the SOHO website is
              > Comet 2P/Encke. --Rob
            • Brian Cudnik
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
                I attempted to send the following to the Comet Chasing group, but apparently it
                does not like me any more (none of my e-mail addresses worked...) so I will send
                this in hopes the Comet Chasing website webmaster is on this list...

                Greetings to the webmaster of the above site and to all-

                I am preparing for a weekend in North Texas to observe for three nights under
                some truly dark skies and would like to look for available comets. I leave for
                this tomorrow morning. When I go to dark sky locations, I rely on the Comet
                Chasing website to get me the information I need in order to locate / observe
                comets, and I have been greatly appreciative of the resource this site has
                offered over the years.

                However, as of this writing (16:40UT, August 5) the site is still displaying the
                July information. When do you anticipate this site being updated with the August
                data and if not by tomorrow morning, are there alternate sites with tracking
                charts, etc. that I can download and use?

                This is a new moon weekend coming up and I am sure there are lots of people
                looking for this data.

                Thanks in advance and clear skies to all...Brian

              • Owen Brazell
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
                  If the comet chasing website is looked after by Greg Crinklaw then I believe
                  he is on holiday at this time so I doubt it will be updated yet.

                  Owen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
                    Hi Owen and Brian,

                    I am home from my trip but don't see anything unusual with the group or
                    with Brian's account. I will post something to verify that it is
                    working properly.

                    Brian, please try posting your message again. If you still have trouble
                    contact me privately at:

                    CometChasing-owner (at) yahoogroups.com

                    Thanks,
                    Greg

                    --
                    Greg Crinklaw
                    Astronomical Software Developer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
                      Hi Brian,

                      On 8/5/2010 11:01 AM, Brian Cudnik wrote:
                      > However, as of this writing (16:40UT, August 5) the site is still displaying the
                      > July information. When do you anticipate this site being updated with the August
                      > data and if not by tomorrow morning, are there alternate sites with tracking
                      > charts, etc. that I can download and use?

                      Sorry -- I got caught up in your problem posting to the CometChasing
                      group and missed the part about my Comet Chasing web site:

                      http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

                      I just got home yesterday and am in the process of updating the site
                      today. It should be up to date in a few hours.

                      Clear skies,
                      Greg

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
                        And I confirm it is up to date! Thanks a ton...now we need to keep the pesky
                        clouds away that are scheduled to harrass us tomorrow night...

                        Thanks again...Brian

                        ________________________________
                        On 8/5/2010 11:01 AM, Brian Cudnik wrote:
                        > However, as of this writing (16:40UT, August 5) the site is still displaying
                        >the
                        > July information. When do you anticipate this site being updated with the
                        >August
                        > data and if not by tomorrow morning, are there alternate sites with tracking
                        > charts, etc. that I can download and use?

                        Sorry -- I got caught up in your problem posting to the CometChasing
                        group and missed the part about my Comet Chasing web site:

                        http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

                        I just got home yesterday and am in the process of updating the site
                        today. It should be up to date in a few hours.

                        Clear skies,
                        Greg

                        --
                        Greg Crinklaw
                        Astronomical Software Developer
                        Cloudcroft, New Mexico
                        skyhound.com

                      • Stefan Beck
                        • Juan Antonio Henríquez Santana
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                            Hello Stefan,

                            Thank you very much for yours efforts to make this map possible...

                            Greetings,
                            Juan A.Henr�quez Santana
                            http://atlante.org.es
                            MPC-J51

                          • gerald sachot
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                              I am not on the list

                              COD C09
                              CON GERALD SACHOT [g.sachot@...]
                              OBS G. Sachot
                              MEA G. Sachot
                              TEL 0.13-m f/7.0 refractor + CCD
                              ACK MPCReport file updated 2010.08.07 11:48:33
                              AC2 g.sachot@...
                              NET NOMAD

                              Site web : astreschevelus.fr

                              Tank you