Update about P/2010 H2

  • gvnn64@libero.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2010
      Hello,
      we posted here our last image about this comet:
      http://tinyurl.com/y4ph6zo

      According to our preliminary analysis, the comet currently show several features:
      1) a roundish central condensation, about 6 arcsec in diameter
      2) an elliptical, compact, coma, about 46"x42" in size
      3) a very faint external halo, nearly circular in shape, about 2.5' in diameter

      Image processing on the inner coma, show the emerging of an asymmetrical feature, very similar to what we witnessed on 17P/Holmes during the first stage of its ejecta development.
      We measured an m1 about 11.3 (Rc).

      The CARA collaboration (http://cara.uai.it/) has decided to dedicate a special observing campaign (in particular we look for filtered photometry) about this interesting object. The interested fellow observers are invited to contact us privately.

      With kind regards,
      Giovanni Sostero and Ernesto Guido (CARA. Remanzacco Observatory)
    • gvnn64
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2010
        Dear fellows comet observers.

        > The CARA collaboration (http://cara.uai.it/) has decided to dedicate a special observing campaign (in particular we look for filtered photometry) about this interesting object. The interested fellow observers are invited to contact us privately.

        You might be interested in an update about the CARA observing campaign on P/2010 H2 (Vales) outburst we launched about a month ago.

        Thanks to the contribution of several observers (W. Borghini, E. Bryssinck, D. Castellano, L. Donato, E. Guido, R. Ligustri, G. Milani, C.Perrella, G. Sostero and R. Trabatti) we were able to plot a nice afrho (proxy of the dust abundance within the coma) lightcurve, that shows some interesting facts about the behaviour of this comet during its outburst phase.

        The peak of the comet's activity within an aperture of 10,000 Km radius at the comet distance, has been reached in a matter of few days, at about J.D. 2455306 (afrho about 9 x 10^3 cm). The peak was rather sharp, lasting one day only. Afterwards the dust wavefront expanded outward of our 10,000 Km window reference aperture, and the inner comet has shown a similarly fast decline in its brightness. Starting from about J.D 2455315, the photometric behaviour of the inner coma has changed again its regime, settling down with a smooth trend. Currently the outburst seems to be over, while we continue to see the expansion of the coma.

        Below you will find the links to the presentation he have given at the MACE 2010, last week-end, were we introduced a first analysis of this comet (there are also some comparisons with other outbursting comets). If you need any further explanation on specific facts, please drop us an email. If anyone of you is interested to collaborate with us, you might contact us privately (our observing campaign is still operating, and a scientific paper will be prepared at the end of it). Thanks againg to all the fellow observers that have made possible this interesting and useful result.
        Bye,
        Giovanni Sostero & Giannantonio Milani (CARA)

        Slides of the talk: -"Outburst of P/2010 H2 (Vales): first analysis of a surprising comet"-, Giovanni Sostero (CARA)

        http://tinyurl.com/36jjm3w
        http://tinyurl.com/34bsvxr
        http://tinyurl.com/2v69lw3
        http://tinyurl.com/3xka9jb
        http://tinyurl.com/38xvhcy
        http://tinyurl.com/35ae7q7
        http://tinyurl.com/3972lq4
        http://tinyurl.com/2uo35fp
        http://tinyurl.com/33c75ll
        http://tinyurl.com/2uffmd7
        http://tinyurl.com/2wc8asc
        http://tinyurl.com/2vmn9e3
        http://tinyurl.com/3945uba
        http://tinyurl.com/2wq8kgx
        http://tinyurl.com/3xxpkvp
        http://tinyurl.com/36fouk6
        http://tinyurl.com/35rabpn
        http://tinyurl.com/39emdhq
        http://tinyurl.com/33pm7ft
        http://tinyurl.com/2ufk7s2
        http://tinyurl.com/2upb6hd
        http://tinyurl.com/35dwsda
        http://tinyurl.com/32f9m6f
        http://tinyurl.com/3xfa89r
        http://tinyurl.com/38het2v
        http://tinyurl.com/394bct4
        http://tinyurl.com/39ulez9
        http://tinyurl.com/39ddfd6
        http://tinyurl.com/2vtra4y
        http://tinyurl.com/352ksth
      • gvnn64@libero.it
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2010
          > Below you will find the links to the presentation he have given at the MACE 2010, last week-end, were we introduced a first analysis of this comet

          If you don't succeed to visualize the images straight away, try to save it, and add the JPG extension to them.
          Thanks,
          Giovanni