Comet 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann: New outburst of activity on Feb 10

  • RICHARD MILES
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2010
      Subsequent to the outburst discovered by Faustino Garcia on February 2,
      comet 29P appears to have undergone a resurgence of activity close to the
      nucleus as shown in images taken using the 2.0-m Faulkes Telescope North
      (FTN) and Faulkes Telescope South (FTS) during the past 2 days. Photometry
      of the inner 2.8-arcsec (10-pixel) radius aperture of single frames, each of
      60-sec exposure, shows the very inner coma to have brightened by a factor of
      about 4 within the past day or so, as indicated by the following
      measurements using the USNO B1.0 catalogue and Astrometrica:

      Feb 08 12:11UT R=14.7 FTN Obs.: R. Miles (BAA)
      Feb 08 12:17UT V=15.5 FTN Obs.: R. Miles (BAA)
      Feb 09 11:33UT R=14.5 FTS Obs.: Bidhannagar High School
      Feb 10 10:24UT V=13.8 FTN Obs.: D. Strange (NLO)
      Feb 10 14:56UT R=13.3 FTS Obs.: Shrewsbury School

      The uncertainty in the photometric measures is +/-0.2 mag.
      Multifilter observations are encouraged.

      Richard Miles
      British Astronomical Association
    • Christian Harder
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2010
        Hi all,

        I observed yesterday 29P with my 395/1600mm Newton.
        10.2. 21:30 UT

        72x bright round compact
        133x I can the stellar false nucleus , 200x I saw him directly.
        10.3mag , Diameter 1`, sDC2

        Bye Christian