Re: [comets-ml] 29P and C/2009 U6

  • P. Edward Murray
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
      Kevin,

      I'm not sure what you are saying here but you might feel somewhat differently when you discover something yourself:)

    • KDConod
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
        I'm saying it's confusing to have 200+ comets named LINEAR. How many has SOHO discovered now? It must be more than a 1,000 by now. If I discovered 1,000 comets would I want them all the be named after me? No!

        Kevin Conod
        kdconod@...

      • P. Edward Murray
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
          Kevin,

          Oh yes I forgot ..and there are a few others too:)
          Please forgive me..they escaped my memory..

          Yes I am all for giving credit to folks who actually discover..

          Yes SOHO did take the photo...but none of them..the SOHO folks made the discovery themselves!

          And I am most assured that any one of the members of IAU would want their name publicized if they had discovered something...

          It's only fair!

          At any rate...

          When one method of organization becomes so complex, it's time to make some adjustments.

        • Mr Wyatt
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
            Thanks for your insight guys!
            It's a shame that there's so much conjecture regarding naming of comets
            discovered through media other than the discoverers own.
            I think all of us here would like to have a comet named after us, even
            though many already do, and it's just reward for the many hours of patience
            and perseverance.
            It's part of the reason why we all do it i guess!

            In the meantime i'll just keep looking and observing and perhaps someday
            i'll find something!
            I hope to get to 81P soon, as it will be my 50th observed comet, should i
            find it ;-)
            I can only imagine how alan must feel who isn't too far away from his 500th!
            I hope one day i can reach that far......

            Cheers!
            Chris Wyatt
            Walcha, NSW
            Australia

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
              Hi all.

              The morning Francois Kugel posted the photo of 81P/29P, I also saw the star trail to the right of 29P and dismissed it as an asteroid with a coincidental cluster of brighter "pixels" off to its right.

              So, is it correct that if ANY OF US had brought the object to the attention of "Comets Mailing List" / CBAT as being comet-like just before LINEAR, the object would have been named C/2009 U6 Kugel?

              I had tried to spot 81P last week with a 14" SCT, but its surface brightness was too low to see in the light polluted skies of western New Jersey. Once the moon leaves the morning sky, I should be able to pick it up, making it my 158th comet and 182th comet apparition.

              John Lowe
              Flemington, NJ

              --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Wyatt" <carlec@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your insight guys!
              > It's a shame that there's so much conjecture regarding naming of comets
              > discovered through media other than the discoverers own.
              > I think all of us here would like to have a comet named after us, even
              > though many already do, and it's just reward for the many hours of patience
              > and perseverance.
              > It's part of the reason why we all do it i guess!
              >
              > In the meantime i'll just keep looking and observing and perhaps someday
              > i'll find something!
              > I hope to get to 81P soon, as it will be my 50th observed comet, should i
              > find it ;-)
              > I can only imagine how alan must feel who isn't too far away from his 500th!
              > I hope one day i can reach that far......
              >
              > Cheers!
              > Chris Wyatt
              > Walcha, NSW
              > Australia
            • P. Edward Murray
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
                Thank you John:)

                Your "neighbor" just across the river in Bucks County..

                Ed Murray