Comet News you may have missed this past week.

  • charbell@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2009
      Henner Busemann, with the University of Manchester's School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, analyzed comet dust samples from Comet 26P/Grigg-Skjellerup and found they predate the solar system.

      The samples analyzed by Busemann and colleagues were collected by a high-altitude NASA research jet flying in April 2003 as Earth traveled through the dusty wake of Comet 26P/Grigg-Skjellerup.

      Nobody had previously collected samples of a comet in that way.

      http://bit.ly/YXyUz

      or

      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/01/comet-dust.html

      I found this story through a weekly news link posted on Twitter. I don't know where more info is at about this story, but its certainly interesting in the innovative way comet dust was captured. I wonder if all of the meteor showers which originate from comet passages could be used to sample comets more directly and more easily in this fashion.

      Comet dust predating the solar system age is news to me.

      C. Bell H47
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/cbellh47
      Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbellh47/