Re: SWAN09

  • Rob Matson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Hurcewicz" <limax7@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Who report this comet to The NEO Confirmation Page ?
      > I don't see images of this data span in
      > http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/summary/swan/
      > Last data is 28 Mar 2009
      >
      > Adam

      Hi Adam,

      I found the comet on Friday, but waited for a fourth image before
      reporting positions and a preliminary orbit to MPC on Saturday.
      Maik Meyer recommended that I forward the ephemeris to J. J.
      Gonzalez so that he could attempt confirmation from Spain early
      Monday morning (which Juan did successfully). In the mean time,
      Tim Spahr was kind enough to put it up on the NEOCP Sunday evening,
      leading to Felix Hormuth's independent confirmation.

      As for the SWAN images, I download mine from a different location
      that updates more frequently than the sohowww site above. It took
      me quite a while to discover this alternate site, so I ask your
      forgiveness for not being anxious to blurt it out. Let me just
      say that with Google, nothing is too hard to find. ;-)

      Cheers,
      Rob Matson
    • Korotkiy Stanislav
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        Images: http://www.astroalert.su/2009/04/06/comet-swan-2009g1/

        Obs: T. Kryachko
        Takahashi FRC-300 (D=300mm, F=2330mm) + CCD Apogee Alta U9000
        Astrotel observatory (Karachay-Cherkessia,Russia, MPCCOD: 114)

        Bright asymmetrical coma 118x129'' (the major axis tilted along a line close to p.a. 252 deg) and that of the asymetrical condensation was 8.5x17'' (the major axis tilted along a line close to p.a. 327 deg).

        The total magnitude of comet was close to ~ 12.
      • Korotkiy Stanislav
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          Images: http://www.astroalert.su/2009/04/06/comet-swan-2009g1/

          T. Kryachko
          Kazan State University Astrotel observatory (Karachay-Cherkessia,Russia, MPCCOD: 114)
          Takahashi FRC-300 (D=300mm, F=2330mm) + CCD Apogee Alta U9000
          DATE: 2009-04-07T01h27m00s UT
          Summ 10x120sec
          Images Double Size (original scale = 2.143"/pix)

          Coma:
          PA = 343, dia = 165pix = 354"
          PA = 73, dia = 155pix = 332"

          and asymetrical condensation was 12.8x19.3'' (the major axis tilted along a line close to p.a. 320 deg)
        • Korotkiy Stanislav
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
            There is a weak ion tail close to P.A. 326 deg more than 400" in length.
            See on new animation (10 fits x 120sec, 2009-04-07T01h27m00s UT).

            http://www.astroalert.su/2009/04/06/comet-swan-2009g1/
          • walcom77
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
              Hi All

              We have updated the blog with our confirmation image and some
              information about the new Swan comet 2009 F6:

              http://tinyurl.com/cmweyo

              Cheers,

              Ernesto Guido, Giovanni Sostero and Paul Camilleri
              http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
              http://groups.diigo.com/groups/comets77
            • Michal Kusiak
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
                Hi All,

                Comet was named as C/2009 F6 (Yi-SWAN)
                http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K09/K09G21.html

                But I would like to know who is the Mr/Mrs Yi? :)

                Best regards,
                Michal Kusiak

                Dnia 7 kwietnia 2009 12:47 walcom77 <walcom77@...> napisaƂ(a):