Re: [comets-ml] C/2009 E1 (Itagaki)

  • Juan Jose Gonzalez Suarez
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 15, 2009
      C/2009 E1 (Itagaki):
      2009 Mar. 14.85 UT: m1=9.6, Dia.=4.5', DC=3/ ... 20 cm SCT (77x) ...
      Juan Jose Gonzalez ( Aralla, alt. 1380 m, León, N. Spain ) [ Brighter
      than expected. Mountain location, very clear sky. Zodiacal light.
      Altitude: 21 deg.
      Visual astrometry: R.A. = 2h47m.0, Decl. = +8o57'.3 (equinox 2000.0) ].

      -------------------
      ICQ Format:

      2009E1 2009 03 14.85 S 9.6 TK 20.3T10 77 4.5 3/ ICQ
      XX GON05
      -------------------

      Clear skies,

      J. J. Gonzalez

      -------------------------------------

      Maik Meyer wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > yesterday early evening I received a note from Japan about a possible new comet
      > discovered by Itagaki-san.
      >
      > I notified a few observers since I was clouded out and among them J. J. Gonzales
      > was able to catch the comet visually at 9.6 mag, with a 4.5' coma and DC 3/.
      >
      > So, if you have clear skies with the comet low above the horizon, try an visual
      > estimate.
      >
      > Cheers, Maik

    • Alan Hale
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2009
        Dear Maik, and all,

        I noticed the object on the NEOCP and decided to attempt it last night
        visually. As soon as I got the telescope on the field I immediately saw the
        comet, although about ten arcminutes south of the NEOCP ephemeris position.

        Unfortunately, I was only able to view it for about two minutes before
        clouds covered it up -- within 20 minutes it was snowing! All I was able to
        get was a "guesstimate" of m1 ~10:

        Sincerely,

        Alan
      • Terry Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
          Congratulations to Mr Itagaki for his new find!

          Does anyone have any more information on Itagaki or his hunting method? I know he was an independent discover of C/1969 T1 (Tago-Sato-Kosaka) and recovered 205P.

          Regarding C/2009 E1 itself, it appears Southern hemisphere comet hunters were napping with this one! The comet should have been quite bright for at least a month before discovery and well placed in the southern hemisphere evening sky. My own searches were limited due to weather, although I did manage evening sweeps on Feb 23/24. However, these didn't extent far enough from the sun to catch the comet. I haven't had a close look at the Siding Springs survey coverage, but I guess the comet's rapid movement helped it evade that survey.

          Terry
        • Сережа Шурпаков
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
            C/2009 E1 (Itagaki)
            2009 Mar. 16.85 UT: m1=10.2, Dia.=4', DC=4, 250mm Newton (48х)
            Sergey Shurpakov (Baran', Belarus)
          • Mr Wyatt
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
              Hi Terry,
              I think the weather certainly played a big part for southern hemisphere
              observers.
              I haven't seen clear skies for nearly 2 weeks until last night!

              Congrats to Mr Itagaki!!!!
              Cheers!
              Chris Wyatt
              Walcha, NSW
              Australia
              Congratulations to Mr Itagaki for his new find!

              Does anyone have any more information on Itagaki or his hunting method? I
              know he was an independent discover of C/1969 T1 (Tago-Sato-Kosaka) and
              recovered 205P.

              Regarding C/2009 E1 itself, it appears Southern hemisphere comet hunters
              were napping with this one! The comet should have been quite bright for at
              least a month before discovery and well placed in the southern hemisphere
              evening sky. My own searches were limited due to weather, although I did
              manage evening sweeps on Feb 23/24. However, these didn't extent far enough
              from the sun to catch the comet. I haven't had a close look at the Siding
              Springs survey coverage, but I guess the comet's rapid movement helped it
              evade that survey.

              Terry

              Checked by AVG.
              7:04 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                Hi Terry,

                > Does anyone have any more information on Itagaki or his hunting method? I know
                > he was an independent discover of C/1969 T1 (Tago-Sato-Kosaka) and recovered
                > 205P.

                IAUC 9026 says (in case you haven't access to it) that Itagaki searches with a 21-
                cm f/3 reflector, FOV 2.2 deg, and CCD) using a software by H. Kaneda to
                automatically detect moving objects automatically.

                I do know nothing about the search strategy.

                Maybe our Japanese group members can provide additional information?

                Cheers, Maik
              • francois kugel
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                  Hello at all,
                  I observed last night Itagaki comet.

                  Two Tails seems visible : The first is fine and long, around 20' in PA = 85;
                  The second is shorter in PA = 320.

                  Anyone can confirme?

                  http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090316

                  Best regards,
                  Francois Kugel
                  #A77
                • Gustavo Muler
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                    Estimado francois,

                    Con fecha martes, 17 de marzo de 2009, 6:06:39, escribió:

                    > Hello at all,
                    > I observed last night Itagaki comet.

                    > Two Tails seems visible : The first is fine and long, around 20' in PA = 85;
                    > The second is shorter in PA = 320.

                    > Anyone can confirme?

                    > http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090316

                    > Best regards,
                    > Francois Kugel
                    > #A77

                    hello francois.
                    I have not enough SNR to confirm it.
                    my E1 it´s too low and calima doesn´t let get good pix.
                    but, in your picture is very obvious the shape of this tail.
                    congratulations for this sharp eye!!!

                    best regards, gustavo.

                    --

                    Observatorio Nazaret, MPC J47

                    http://www.astrosurf.com/nazaret/
                  • luca_buzzi@alice.it
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                      Hi Francois,
                      I imaged it tonight but I can only see the very beginning of the tail in PA around 90° (object was quite low and SNR is not much).

                      Regards,
                      Luca Buzzi
                      # 204

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                        Many thanks Luca and Gustavo,

                        The comet is low on the horizon and difficult to imaged...
                        I will try again this evening, to confirm or not this second tail.

                        I have mesured (no filter) the totale magnitude and found 10.6 dia =
                        6'(2009-03-16.81) http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#pma160309

                        Best regards,
                        Francois

                        luca_buzzi@... a écrit :

                        > Hi Francois,
                        > I imaged it tonight but I can only see the very beginning of the tail in
                        > PA around 90° (object was quite low and SNR is not much).
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Luca Buzzi
                        > # 204
                        >
                        > Da: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:comets-ml%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Gustavo Muler
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                          Estimado francois,

                          Con fecha martes, 17 de marzo de 2009, 6:06:39, escribió:

                          > Hello at all,
                          > I observed last night Itagaki comet.

                          > Two Tails seems visible : The first is fine and long, around 20' in PA = 85;
                          > The second is shorter in PA = 320.

                          > Anyone can confirme?

                          > http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090316

                          > Best regards,
                          > Francois Kugel
                          > #A77

                          hello francois !!!

                          I can see your tail at 85º...

                          pointing East.
                          the picture, tonight...

                          best regards, and good eye !!!

                          good job.

                          --
                          Saludos,Saludos, Gustavo Muler.

                          Observatorio Nazaret, MPC J47

                          http://www.astrosurf.com/nazaret/
                        • Bernd Häusler
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                            Hello Francois and Gustavo and all comet friends,

                            I can clearly confirm one tail, around 5’ in PA79°

                            You find my newest image with all data here:

                            http://www.amication.de/Bernhards_Comet_Project/c2009e1_20090317.htm

                            Congratulation to Koichi Itagaki for his amazing comet detection.

                            Best regards

                            Bernhard Haeusler

                            MPC B82

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                              Many thanks Gustavo,

                              On my last images from today I find no trace of a second tail;
                              probably some reflect!

                              Best regards,
                              Francois

                              http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090317

                              Gustavo Muler a écrit :

                              > Estimado francois,
                              >
                              > Con fecha martes, 17 de marzo de 2009, 6:06:39, escribió:
                              >
                              > > Hello at all,
                              > > I observed last night Itagaki comet.
                              >
                              > > Two Tails seems visible : The first is fine and long, around 20' in
                              > PA = 85;
                              > > The second is shorter in PA = 320.
                              >
                              > > Anyone can confirme?
                              >
                              > > http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090316
                              > <http://astrosurf.com/obsdauban/pages/C09E1.html#090316>
                              >
                              > > Best regards,
                              > > Francois Kugel
                              > > #A77
                              >
                              > hello francois !!!
                              >
                              > I can see your tail at 85º...
                              >
                              > pointing East.
                              > the picture, tonight...
                              >
                              > best regards, and good eye !!!
                              >
                              > good job.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Saludos,Saludos, Gustavo Muler.
                              >
                              > Observatorio Nazaret, MPC J47
                              >
                              > http://www.astrosurf.com/nazaret/ <http://www.astrosurf.com/nazaret/>

                            • Gustavo Muler
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 17, 2009
                                Estimado francois,

                                hello all.
                                here the image from Francois Kugel advertise, about tail
                                the tail, is straight, and more than the fov I use 25´ the small tail
                                points opposite way (west)
                                hope it helps...!

                                best regards, congratulations mr. Itagaki !!!

                                picture of this afternoon...

                                http://astrosurf.com/nazaret/images/cometas/C2009E1/C2009E1-090317-J47.jpg

                                gustavo muler.