Re: [comets-ml] C/2007 N3 of 06/02/2009

  • martin mc kenna
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hi Rolando

      That's a fantastic image you took of Lulin. Excellent tail detail and colour. I think that's the longest ion tail report yet, excellent work!

      I observed comet Lulin this morning (Feb 5/6th) between 05.40 and 06.10 UT despite the glow from the bright Moon low in the NW. The scope revealed the gas and ion tails including two, and possibly three radial features within the coma which I assumed were jets. The coma was large, soft, and diffuse. It was easy in 10x50mm binos so I had a try at seeing it without optical aid. I stood in the shadow of my house to block the Moon and cupped my hands around my eyes to stop distacting stray light. Over a 20 min period I glimpsed the comet perhaps a a dozen times with the naked eye as a large grey patch of light very close above Alpha Librae.

      Clear skies

       Martin McKenna, Co. Derry, N. Ireland

      http://www.nightskyhunter.com/

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
        Martin
        I have observed Comet Lulin naked eye since Tuesday morning the third of February for sure . May have seen it naked eye even before the third of February.I would lock onto the comet naked eye and the comet would be visible for short periods,The moon  made it hard to see this morning but I was able to find the green beast.Received a report from an observer I know  in the heart of the light dome of the City of El Paso,Texas and the observer was able to find the comet  with out any problem with a small pair of binoculars and a 2 inch telescope.Very nice comet,has been fun to observe and follow since early January.
        Regards
        Thomas Dorman
        Horizon,City,Texas

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
          Hi Thomas

          Thanks for all the information there and great job catching it without optical aid on Feb 3rd!. I heard of another observer from the S. hemisphere getting a naked eye sighting on the same date. There are other sightings arriving in now too. Looking forward to the next dark period. Enjoy Lulin.

          Clear skies

          Martin

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
            Yes, I saw it with the naked eye this morning (Fri 6.62 Feb UT) as a hazy patch very close to Alpha Librae - about mag 6.5 and 13' across...

            Cheers

            John Drummond
            New Zealand

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
              Martin
              For what it is worth,I'm not an expert,I believe Comet Lulin has hovered around naked eye visibility since at least late January.Several time I was sure I could see the comet but  at best  it was an extremely hard naked eye target to nail down.By the morning of the February 3rd I was positive I had bagged Lulin naked eye.Follow up naked eye observations on February 4th and 5th,I was confident,at least in my mind, that Comet Lulin was now a naked eye object.Glad to see more people enjoying naked eye astronomy.
              Regards
              Thomas Dorman
              Horizon City,Texas

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
                Thanks for that Thomas. I'm sure you are spot on about this. I wonder if aperture effect is the reason why there has been such a wide range of magnitudes reported? Some reports are bright, however others were in the 7-8th mag range during that period. The variation in reports is probably due to sky conds, atmospheric extinction, and the optical equipment used. Thanks for your thoughts on Lulin's naked eye mag and time period.

                Looking forward to another observation tonight, regardless of the intense Moonlight. Clear skies!

                Martin

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Martin
                  I was able to spot Lulin this morning between 11UT. to 12 UT,Feb.8th.We had a nice clearing early this morning.My feelings are that the comet has brightened since I observed it last on the Feb 5th.Worked between naked eye,7x35 and 10x50 binoculars.To me , Comet Lulin looked best in my 7x35.My best guess is Comet Lulin  is around magnitude +6.3,DC:4 and diameter:11'.Would not put much credit to the diameter to much moon light washing the sky out.
                  Regards
                  Thomas Dorman
                  Horizon City,
                  .

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Reports C/2007N3 Lulin
                    2009 Feb. 07.72 UT: m1=6.2, Dia.=10'. DC=6; 7x50B; Chris Wyatt (Armidale, NSW,
                    Australia) [Comet was easily seen naked eye with direct vision, coma seemed fan
                    shaped to the NW, no tail seen visually. Comp Star= TYC 5572-319-1; Method: S;
                    Cat= TJ]
                    2009 Feb. 07.343 UT: m1=6.5, Dia.=10, DC=3; 11x80B; Erwin Salazar (Cusco, Perú)
                    2009 Feb. 07.330 UT: m1=6.3, Dia.=8', DC=5; 16x80 B; Gerardo Addiego
                    (Montevideo, Uruguay)
                    2009 Fev. 07.323 UT: m1=6.2, Dia.=12', DC=5/; 7X50B; Marco Goiato (Araçatuba,
                    Brasil)
                    2009 Feb. 07.236 UT: m1=6.2, Dia.=9', DC=4/; 10cm R f:6.5 (26x); Luis Mansilla
                    (Rosario, Argentina) [Urban sky]
                    2009 Feb. 06.72 UT: m1=5.8, Dia.= 8, DC=6; 7x50 B; Chris Wyatt (Walcha, NSW,
                    Australia) [Slight tail extension to NW about 5' long, coma slightly fan shaped
                    to the NW as well. Comet seen naked eye using averted vision.]
                    2009 Feb. 06.326 UT: m1=6.3, Dia.=5', DC=4/5; 20x80 B; Mariano Ribas (Buenos
                    Aires, Argentina) [Método In-Out. Urban sky]
                    2009 Feb. 06.24 UT: m1=6.1, Dia.=10', DC=7; 20x50 B; Alfons Diepvens (Balen,
                    Belgium)
                    2009 Feb. 05.75 UT: m1=5.8; Dia.=10', DC=6; 7x50 B; Chris Wyatt (Armidale, NSW,
                    Australia) [Slight coma extension to SE, tail to NW, approx 10' long. Seen naked
                    eye with averted vision, LM= 6.4]

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
                      On the dawn of 7th Feb, I tried to find Lulin naked-eyes from a site
                      at +13* latitude with NELM ~6.4 mag. Plain averted vision did not
                      work, it was to be extreme averted vision, and there was this very
                      faint 'star' just to the left of 5 Libra (6.33 mag). More staring
                      helped. This comet was a fraction fainter than the star, making me to
                      place it at 6.4 mag. DC = 5 through 10x50's and Dia = 10' did not
                      estimate magnitude through binoculars.

                      Thanking You.
                      Amar A. Sharma
                      +12* 58', 77E 30'