Further development of 29P Jan. 21 UT

  • P. Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2009
      Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann (29P) is still active, with a very substantial
      development in both brightness and size; magnitude this morning at 7:39 UT
      (Jan 21) was 9.7 (CCD, m1) ; the pronounced curving jet noted as early as
      the first week of January has intensified and can be well noted on the ASO
      image posted at:
      http://www.arksky.org/asoimg/Com1109EE67.jpg

      There is some strong filamentary development that appears to be on the
      increase within the coma, in addition to the prominent jet.
      Note that north is at top, and east left in this image; overall image size:
      15.3 x 20.5 arc minutes

      Clay
      _____
      Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
      Arkansas Sky Observatories
      MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
      MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
      MPC H43 - Conway West
      http://www.arksky.org/

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2009
        A short note to alert observers to the possibility of imaging the outer coma
        of 17P/Holmes during the next few days following the enormous outburst
        witnessed in late 2007.

        The comet is approaching opposition on Jan 27 when its phase angle will have
        reduced to 2.0 degrees and so we might expect some brightening due to the
        low phase angle.
        Photometric observations yesterday using the Faulkes Telescope North
        indicate that all regions of the inner coma have brightened by some 0.6
        magnitudes since December 8. Typical phase brightening of 0.035 mag/deg
        would predict a 0.4 mag brightening so we look to be seeing a significant
        opposition effect.

        The next 10 days will be a very good opportunity to image the full extent of
        the comet's outer coma, which may now be several degrees across. Observers
        should use a camera / very fast lens combination with a field of view of at
        least 5 degrees and long exposure times (or stack shorter exposures if
        tracking at sidereal rate is a problem). Larger fields of view of say >20
        degrees may also record the gegenschein which will be located towards the
        south of the comet (some 10 degrees or so distant).

        Good luck,
        Richard Miles