Ejection from 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann

  • l.elenin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
      Good day!
      In this image (stack 3x300 sec)
      http://www.astrogalaxy.ru/leonidos/29P/29P_16.01.09_crop.jpg
      taked on jan 16.22542 is distinctly visible ejection from core of 29P.

      Leonid Elenin
      Tzec Maun Observatory (H10)
    • Dimitry Chestnov
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "l.elenin" <l.elenin@...> wrote:

        > Good day!
        > In this image (stack 3x300 sec)
        > http://www.astrogalaxy.ru/leonidos/29P/29P_16.01.09_crop.jpg
        > taked on jan 16.22542 is distinctly visible ejection from core of
        29P.

        This strange feature is visible on several recent images reported at
        neighbour group:
        http://comete.uai.it/29p/29P_090116.jpg
        http://www.astronomie.be/erik.bryssinck/29P_20090116_Rc_BRY01.jpg
        http://users.telenet.be/diepvens/cometimages/new/new12.html

        Regards,
        Dimitry
      • P. Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
          On January 09 UT, I obtained images of some "propeller-shaped" extension
          from the inner core/nucleus of 29P which have persisted since at least that
          date. I have added the image on the ASO website at:

          http://www.arksky.org/smf/index.php?topic=1663.msg8032#msg8032

          Inspecting the images visually reveals the suggestion of an anti-clockwise
          spiral pattern.

          Clay
          _____
          Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
          Arkansas Sky Observatories
          MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          MPC H43 - Conway West
          http://www.arksky.org/

          >> taked on jan 16.22542 is distinctly visible ejection from core of
          > 29P.
          >>

          > This strange feature is visible on several recent images reported at
          > neighbour group:
          > http://comete.uai.it/29p/29P_090116.jpg
          > http://www.astronomie.be/erik.bryssinck/29P_20090116_Rc_BRY01.jpg
          > http://users.telenet.be/diepvens/cometimages/new/new12.html
          >
          > Regards,
          > Dimitry

        • Dimitry Chestnov
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
            --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...>
            wrote:

            > http://www.arksky.org/smf/index.php?topic=1663.msg8032#msg8032

            Clay,

            I can see only such message:

            "An Error Has Occurred!
            Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!"

            P.S.: I tried on two different providers.

            Regards,
            Dimitry
          • P. Clay Sherrod
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
              Hi Dimitry and sorry about the error message; I am not sure what is
              happening since that particular Forum section is open to all guests and some
              are getting into the view.

              However, please see:
              http://www.arksky.org/index.php?pid=69

              Or click the "Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann (29P)....." link under the
              "Important Guides for Upcoming Events" section on the ASO homepage (
              http://www.arksky.org/index.php )

              Thanks for pointing out the error to me.

              I am hoping to get some images tonight of 29P and would be very interested
              in seeing what others obtain tonight as well.

              Clay
              _____
              Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
              Arkansas Sky Observatories
              MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
              MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
              MPC H43 - Conway West
              http://www.arksky.org/

              > Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!"
              >
              > P.S.: I tried on two different providers.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Dimitry

            • Gabor Santa
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                > Good day!
                > In this image (stack 3x300 sec)
                > http://www.astrogalaxy.ru/leonidos/29P/29P_16.01.09_crop.jpg
                > taked on jan 16.22542 is distinctly visible ejection from core of 29P.
                >
                > Leonid Elenin
                > Tzec Maun Observatory (H10)

                I have already observed this ejection on 8 Jan from Szeged Observatory, with a 40cm f/3
                Newtonian+CCD. Picture soon.

                Gábor Sánta

                Szeged, Hungary
              • l.elenin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                  Evidently that the jet noticeably weakens on today's images (jan 19.33112)
                  http://www.astrogalaxy.ru/leonidos/29P/29P_19.01.09_crop.jpg (stack
                  3x300 sec)

                  image on jan 16.22542
                  http://www.astrogalaxy.ru/leonidos/29P/29P_16.01.09_crop.jpg
                • RICHARD MILES
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                    Good work Leonid et al,

                    One interpretation of the curved jet is that the nucleus is rotating slowly
                    (Spitzer observations of this very nature were indicative of a period of
                    approx. 60 days) and so it is quite important to follow the development of
                    jet arcs to see whether such a slow rotation rate for 29P is confirmed.

                    Richard Miles (J77)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                      Richard, jet is rapidly fading and it will soon become inaccessible
                      for average telescopes.
                      Only in three days its brightness was considerably reduced...

                      Leonid Elenin
                      Tzec Maun Observatory (H10)
                    • Erik Bryssinck
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                        Hello,

                        I have made several images the last weeks of this comet. I posted the images on 'cometimages' mailing list. The first jet i could saw was on the image of 1 jan. 2009. For who is interested in this image and morpholgy changing and afrho-measurements... check out my website. www.astronomie.be/erik.bryssinck

                        kind regards,

                        Erik Bryssinck - Belgium

                        Brixiis privat observatory

                        : RICHARD MILES [mailto:rmiles.btee@...]
                        >Verzonden
                        : maandag
                        , januari
                        19, 2009 06:43 PM
                        : comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
                        >Onderwerp
                        : Re: [comets-ml] Re: Ejection from 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann

                        >Good work Leonid et al,
                        >
                        >One interpretation of the curved jet is that the nucleus is rotating slowly
                        >(Spitzer observations of this very nature were indicative of a period of
                        >approx. 60 days) and so it is quite important to follow the development of
                        >jet arcs to see whether such a slow rotation rate for 29P is confirmed.
                        >
                        >Richard Miles (J77)
                      • RICHARD MILES
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                          One further point - 29P has just gone through opposition (Jan 17) when its
                          phase angle declined to 0.5 deg. One consequence of this may have been to
                          increase the brightness/contrast in the reflected light from the coma
                          through a kind of multiple scattering type opposition effect, and which
                          might have made any jet material more readily visible. The comet will
                          remain at fairly low phase angle for a few days yet.

                          Richard Miles