Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin orbit edge-on

  • Michael Mattiazzo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hello folks,

      I wonder if anyone else has noticed that we are observing comet C/2007 N3
      Lulin "edge-on".
      With incredible fortune, the orbital inclination of the comet is 178
      degrees. i.e. virtually in the same orbital plane as the Earth.
      This means from Earth's perspective, we will observe the comet edge-on
      throughout the apparition!
      The effect of this is to enhance the surface brightness of the comet and its
      dust tail.
      Take the deep sky example of an edge-on galaxy being more readily observable
      than one that is face-on.

      Recently posted images are displaying the sharp sunward pointing dust tail
      (antitail) in PA 100, along with the ion tail at PA 280.
      The dust tail should remain at approximately PA 100 to 110 and appear as a
      sharply defined "needle-like" appendage.
      Since most of the dust particles are released in the comets wake, the dust
      tail will rapidly lengthen after Lulin's flyby of the Earth on Feb 24,
      length uncertain but perhaps a few degrees long.
      The ion tail however will appear considerably shortened, since it will be
      pointing directly away from the Sun when the comet is located at opposition
      on Feb 26.

      Looking forward to observing this unusual comet.

      Cheers,
      Michael Mattiazzo
    • JS & EJ Gifford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
        Coincidentally I have just written an article for the local Astronomical
        Society along those lines. The comet follows the ecliptic through several
        Zodiac constellations, so it will probably fire up the astrologers as well.
        Opposition also occurs as it passes close by Saturn in our skies, and with
        its closeness to the Beehive, M44, in early March there should be a few
        photo opportunities.

        Regards, Jim Gifford.

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
          in the iaota group we were discussing how bright the comet would be on
          March 7th when it is occulted by the moon near M44 ..

          Vegas Luna

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "JS & EJ Gifford" <jamesgifford@...>
          wrote:

          > Coincidentally I have just written an article for the local Astronomical
          > Society along those lines. The comet follows the ecliptic through
          several
          > Zodiac constellations, so it will probably fire up the astrologers
          as well.
          > Opposition also occurs as it passes close by Saturn in our skies,
          and with
          > its closeness to the Beehive, M44, in early March there should be a few
          > photo opportunities.
          >

          > Regards, Jim Gifford.
          >

          > _____

          On Behalf