Re: C/2007 N1 (Lulin) faint?

  • Piotr Guzik
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi Maik and Gábor,

      I also tried to locate the comet on SOHO images and I couldn't see it.
      Latest observations suggested that comets diameter is ~5'. 5' is about
      5px at LASCO C3 images. That my be the reason why the comet is not
      visible despite it was estimated to be ~8.5 mag in October.
      Lets wait another two weeks and we will no for sure what's going on.

      Best Regards
      Piotr Guzik
    • Michael Mattiazzo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
        Hello all,

        I have no trouble seeing C/2007 N3 Lulin in SOHO LASCO C3 images.
        I've done a stack of 5 images centered around 20UT on December 1 and made a
        comparison field using Guide 8 software.
        You can find the image at my website:

        http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/

        The nucleus of the comet looks to be about magnitude 9.
        My last visual observation was on October 27th, magnitude 9.0, diameter 5',
        dc 3, through 25x100mm binoculars.

        Also for those interested, I've uploaded a comet planner for 2009 for all
        comets likely to be observable visually (to magnitude 14), and sorted into
        hemispheres :)

        Cheers,
        Michael Mattiazzo