An international meeting on cometary astronomy to be held in Rio de Janeiro 2009

  • Luis Alberto Mansilla Salvo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
      Fifth International Workshop on Cometary Astronomy (IWCA V)
      III Simposio Iberoamericano de Cometas de la LIADA

      August 7 & 8, 2009, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

      FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

      An international meeting on cometary astronomy to be held in
      Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on 2009 August 7 (Friday) and 8 (Sat.)
      is being organized jointly by the Ibero American Astronomy League
      (Liga Ibero Americana de Astronomia = LIADA) and the International
      Comet Quarterly (ICQ). The meeting will include the participation
      of both professional and amateur astronomers.

      The LIADA, through its Comets Section, will call this the Third
      Ibero American Symposium on Comets of LIADA, and it will be the
      fifth International Workshop on Cometary Astronomy (IWCA)
      co-sponsored by the ICQ. The meeting will be held in the Planetarium
      of Rio de Janeiro.

      These events will take place in the midst of the XXVII General
      Assembly of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), which will
      be held in Rio de Janeiro between August 3 and 14, 2009. The IAU
      General Assembly will be attended by thousands of astronomers from
      around the world.

      We are planning two days of activities, divided in the following way.
      Friday, Aug. 7: Meeting of the Comets Section of the LIADA, held in
      Portuguese and Spanish languages. There will be presentations from
      invited professional and amateur astronomers. At the end of the sessions,
      the Fourth Ibero American Symposium on Comets of LIADA will be
      announced (to be held in Canoas, Brazil, in the second semester of
      2010), co-hosted by the Universidad de UNILASALLE.
      Saturday, Aug. 8: Fifth International Workshop on Cometary Astronomy.
      Joint meeting between professional and amateurs astronomers to be
      conducted in the English language. For this second part of the
      two-day comet meeting, there may be 3-4 presentations from
      recognized professional astronomers in the field of comets, and a
      similar number of presentations from members of the Comets Section of
      LIADA.

      This is an excellent opportunity to strengthen and expand the joint work
      between professional and amateur astronomers -- one of the main objectives
      of LIADA, that has been put into practice with very good results.

      The members of the Organizing Committee of this joint meeting are:
      Dan Green, ICQ (USA); Gonzalo Tancredi, Depto. Astronomia, Uruguay
      (and member of IAU Task Group on Cometary Magnitudes); and Luis Mansilla,
      Jose Aguiar, Gerardo Addiego, Leonardo Severi, and Leandro Guedes,
      Comets Section of LIADA.

      We will soon present more details of the organization of this event.
      Please contact: cometas@...

      --~--~--------~--~----~--------~-------~--~----~--~--~--------~--~----~--------~-------~--~----~--
      Luis Alberto Mansilla
      Vocal Titular 2º de la Junta Directiva de LIADA.
      Coordinador General Sección Cometas LIADA - Liga Iberoamericana de
      Astronomía
      RASTREADORES DE COMETAS - Web: http://cometas.astronomiaonline.com
      contacts: cometas@...
      English Version: http://cometobservations.freeservers.com/
      --~--~--------~--~----~--------~-------~--~----~--~--~--------~--~----~--------~-------~--~----~--
    • jinzhao_318
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
        Dear Luis:
        Does that mean the meeting in Shanghai on 23ed July 2009 have been
        taken place by this one?

        Regards
        Jin Beize
        C42 Xingming Observatory, Xinjiang, China
        Beijing,China

        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Alberto Mansilla Salvo"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
          Dear Jin

          Our meeting in Rio de Janeiro is independent and does not replace
          another of the same character.
          It's part of our agenda (50th anniversary of Ibero American Astronomy
          League) for this part of the world of Spanish and Portuguese speaking
          and on the occasion of the International Year of Astronomy 2009
          precisely because it celebrates the XXVII General Assembly of the IAU
          in August in Rio de Janeiro.

          Best Regards,
          Luis.