Re:[comets-ml] 85P recovery

  • gvnn64@libero.it
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      Dear Nakamura-san.
      We are very surprised, too, about this recovery!

      > The position looks very close (too close!) to the predicted one.
      > Also, it's unusual such 'recovery' observations are published without
      > any follow-up. Puzzling.... Is this really 85P? Can anyone show me
      > a linked orbit?

      We tried the recovery of 85P during several nights, along the past few months, the latest observing sessions being: 2008, June 29 and July 02; we cannot find anything (limiting magnitude about 19) within 15 arcmin of the ephemerids position.

      Kind regards,
      Giovanni Sostero and Ernesto Guido
    • Reiner M. Stoss
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
        > It is really puzzling that no MPEC was issued for such an "important" comet
        > recovery.
        >
        > The positions fit nicely, yes, but this is of no value since it is only one night
        > which will fit easily if it is within the error margin of the original orbit. To
        > present a linked orbit is thus not very useful.
        >
        > Since it is only one night, I can not judge about the reality or identity with
        > 85P.
        >
        > More observations are needed to confirm the recovery. In light of Giovanni's
        > comments I have some doubts about the recovery, but maybe the comet underwent some
        > brightness surge since July 2.

        Please notice the comment on MPEC 2008-N33,
        published 3.5h ago.

        http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K08/K08N33.html

        Cheers,
        Reiner
      • RICHARD MILES
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          Mike,

          MPEC 2008-N33 has a footnote which says:

          "The three observations attributed to comet 85P on MPEC 2008-N31 should
          be deleted."
          (signed Brian G. Marsden)

          Cheers,
          Richard Miles

          >> The position looks very close (too close!) to the predicted one.
          >> Also, it's unusual such 'recovery' observations are published without
          >> any follow-up. Puzzling.... Is this really 85P? Can anyone show me
          >> a linked orbit?
          >
          > It is really puzzling that no MPEC was issued for such an "important"
          > comet
          > recovery.
          >
          > The positions fit nicely, yes, but this is of no value since it is only
          > one night
          > which will fit easily if it is within the error margin of the original
          > orbit. To
          > present a linked orbit is thus not very useful.
          >
          > Since it is only one night, I can not judge about the reality or identity
          > with
          > 85P.
          >
          > More observations are needed to confirm the recovery. In light of
          > Giovanni's
          > comments I have some doubts about the recovery, but maybe the comet
          > underwent some
          > brightness surge since July 2.
          >
          > Cheers, Maik
          > --
          > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon Jimenez

        • Reiner M. Stoss
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
            > I did not scroll down to the end of N33 (and would not even have expected to see
            > such a comment there..)

            Unfortunately that's the usual way in which errata get
            published on MPECs. Spoiling up other people's discovery
            MPECs ;-)
            I'd prefer exclusive errata MPECs, like they are published for
            other things too, e.g. "EDITORIAL NOTICE"s.

            R.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
              Dear Akimasa,

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008