Re: [comets-ml] Re: C/2007 N3 and C/2008 J3 bright

  • Gabor Santa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
      Dear Group,

      I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
      Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:

      C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'

      C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions

      6P/d'Arrest - stellar

      C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail

      C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small

      C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail

      C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very asymmetric
      fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail

      C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and asymmetric
      coma, very long (10') straight tail

      61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky, nucleus,
      little elongated coma

      I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very strong, and a
      tree hid it.

      Pics and more information soon.

      Gabor Santa
      Szeged, Hungary
    • James R. Schofer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
        Great work Gabor
        My limited magnitude depending on conditions is around 18 and was
        unable to pic up 2008L2 or 2007W3, I would also put a DC value on
        6P at 7 and for 2008J6 a DC of 6 as I was unable to see any nucleus,
        but this was a few nights ago, though I was able to see the
        elongated coma of 61P. I also tryed for 51P and 200P with no
        results. Keep up the great work and posts Gabor. Regards James

        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Santa" <santage@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group,
        >
        > I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
        > Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:
        >
        > C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'
        >
        > C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions
        >
        > 6P/d'Arrest - stellar
        >
        > C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail
        >
        > C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small
        >
        > C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail
        >
        > C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very
        asymmetric
        > fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail
        >
        > C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and
        asymmetric
        > coma, very long (10') straight tail
        >
        > 61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky,
        nucleus,
        > little elongated coma
        >
        > I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very
        strong, and a
        > tree hid it.
        >
        > Pics and more information soon.
        >
        > Gabor Santa
        > Szeged, Hungary

      • Gabor Santa
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
          Thanks James,
          From the University's observatory in Szeged we usually can reach 18 mag as
          you, but on 1st Jul was very clear night without moon. Try L2, it is very
          faint but clearly see on my image.
          I havent captured 2007 W3, it was 2006 W3, in Camelopardalis, circumpolar.
          It was very easy object, so i ll try to see it visually at the weekend
          from the Hungarian Astronomical Association's mountain observing place.

          Regards, Gábor

          > Great work Gabor
          > My limited magnitude depending on conditions is around 18 and was
          > unable to pic up 2008L2 or 2007W3, I would also put a DC value on
          > 6P at 7 and for 2008J6 a DC of 6 as I was unable to see any nucleus,
          > but this was a few nights ago, though I was able to see the
          > elongated coma of 61P. I also tryed for 51P and 200P with no
          > results. Keep up the great work and posts Gabor. Regards James
          >
          > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Santa" <santage@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> Dear Group,
          >>
          >> I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
          >> Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:
          >>
          >> C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'
          >>
          >> C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions
          >>
          >> 6P/d'Arrest - stellar
          >>
          >> C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail
          >>
          >> C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small
          >>
          >> C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail
          >>
          >> C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very
          > asymmetric
          >> fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail
          >>
          >> C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and
          > asymmetric
          >> coma, very long (10') straight tail
          >>
          >> 61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky,
          > nucleus,
          >> little elongated coma
          >>
          >> I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very
          > strong, and a
          >> tree hid it.
          >>
          >> Pics and more information soon.
          >>
          >> Gabor Santa
          >> Szeged, Hungary

        • gvnn64
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
            > I want to remark that J. J. Gonzales has observed C/2007 N3 at 10.6
            mag

            Hello Maik and all,
            thanks to Gustavo, you can find an updated analysis of this comet in or
            blog: http://remanzacco.blogspot.com/

            A pretty unusual coma...

            Kind regards,
            Giovanni