Re: C/2007 N3 and C/2008 J3 bright

  • Piotr Guzik
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29 1:59 AM
      Maik,

      > I want to remark that J. J. Gonzales has observed C/2007 N3 at 10.6
      >mag and C/2008 J3 at 10.3 mag.

      It wasn't C/2008 J3, but C/2008 J1

      Best Regards
      Piotr Guzik
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29 2:10 AM
        Hi all,

        I want to remark that J. J. Gonzales has observed C/2007 N3 at 10.6 mag and C/2008
        J3 at 10.3 mag.

        Especially C/2007 N3 is brighter than predicted and may thus become clearly
        brighter than the predicted 6.0 mag in 2009 February*.

        Cheers, Maik

        * Yes, comets are like cats, I know... ;)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29 3:45 AM
          > Maik,
          >
          > > I want to remark that J. J. Gonzales has observed C/2007 N3 at 10.6
          > >mag and C/2008 J3 at 10.3 mag.
          >
          > It wasn't C/2008 J3, but C/2008 J1

          Piotr, thanks for the correction!

          Cheers, Maik
        • David Seargent
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29 10:13 PM
            I am wondering if C/2007 N3 is switching on. On June 14, I saw it under very good rural skies from Cowra (New South Wales) and made it 12.7 in a 25-cm. reflector at 71X. It was less than 1 arcmin in diameter and looked quite strongly condensed. I had tried for it one week earlier under slightly less clear (but still good) skies with the same equipment, but did not see it with certainty. But there was a 13th. mag "star" very close to the predicted position which, like the other faint stars, was a bit blurred with the seeing. I now wonder if that may not have been the comet after all! In any case, on neither night did I see anything as large and bright as reported here, so I'm thinking that it must have brightened very sharply. I was probably only seeing the central regions, with the extended coma below the threshold.
            Regards,
            David Seargent

            PS. By the way, 15P/Finlay was also visible on June 14. It was very easy, D = 3 arcmins and total magnitude of 10.7.

          • Gabor Santa
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
              Dear Group,

              I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
              Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:

              C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'

              C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions

              6P/d'Arrest - stellar

              C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail

              C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small

              C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail

              C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very asymmetric
              fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail

              C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and asymmetric
              coma, very long (10') straight tail

              61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky, nucleus,
              little elongated coma

              I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very strong, and a
              tree hid it.

              Pics and more information soon.

              Gabor Santa
              Szeged, Hungary
            • James R. Schofer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
                Great work Gabor
                My limited magnitude depending on conditions is around 18 and was
                unable to pic up 2008L2 or 2007W3, I would also put a DC value on
                6P at 7 and for 2008J6 a DC of 6 as I was unable to see any nucleus,
                but this was a few nights ago, though I was able to see the
                elongated coma of 61P. I also tryed for 51P and 200P with no
                results. Keep up the great work and posts Gabor. Regards James

                --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Santa" <santage@...> wrote:

                > Dear Group,
                >
                > I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
                > Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:
                >
                > C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'
                >
                > C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions
                >
                > 6P/d'Arrest - stellar
                >
                > C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail
                >
                > C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small
                >
                > C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail
                >
                > C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very
                asymmetric
                > fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail
                >
                > C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and
                asymmetric
                > coma, very long (10') straight tail
                >
                > 61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky,
                nucleus,
                > little elongated coma
                >
                > I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very
                strong, and a
                > tree hid it.
                >
                > Pics and more information soon.
                >
                > Gabor Santa
                > Szeged, Hungary

              • Gabor Santa
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Thanks James,
                  From the University's observatory in Szeged we usually can reach 18 mag as
                  you, but on 1st Jul was very clear night without moon. Try L2, it is very
                  faint but clearly see on my image.
                  I havent captured 2007 W3, it was 2006 W3, in Camelopardalis, circumpolar.
                  It was very easy object, so i ll try to see it visually at the weekend
                  from the Hungarian Astronomical Association's mountain observing place.

                  Regards, Gábor

                  > Great work Gabor
                  > My limited magnitude depending on conditions is around 18 and was
                  > unable to pic up 2008L2 or 2007W3, I would also put a DC value on
                  > 6P at 7 and for 2008J6 a DC of 6 as I was unable to see any nucleus,
                  > but this was a few nights ago, though I was able to see the
                  > elongated coma of 61P. I also tryed for 51P and 200P with no
                  > results. Keep up the great work and posts Gabor. Regards James
                  >
                  > --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Santa" <santage@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Dear Group,
                  >>
                  >> I have captured 9 comets last night (on 1/2 Jul 2008) from Szeged
                  >> Observatory, Hungary. Instruments: 40cm Newtonian+CCD. Targets was:
                  >>
                  >> C/2005 L3 - strong nucleus and nice coma, tail longer than 8'
                  >>
                  >> C/2008 J1 - elongated inner coma and huge, faint outer regions
                  >>
                  >> 6P/d'Arrest - stellar
                  >>
                  >> C/2007 N3 - very-very condensed and bright, no tail
                  >>
                  >> C/2008 L2 Hill - faint, small
                  >>
                  >> C/2008 J6 Hill - stellar nucleus and at about 30" tail
                  >>
                  >> C/2006 W3 Christensen - bright! strong nucleus and very-very
                  > asymmetric
                  >> fan-shaped coma, short fan-shaped tail
                  >>
                  >> C/2006 OF2 Broughton - very-very bright, strong nucleus and
                  > asymmetric
                  >> coma, very long (10') straight tail
                  >>
                  >> 61P/Shajn-Schaldach - faint, small comet on the morning sky,
                  > nucleus,
                  >> little elongated coma
                  >>
                  >> I have tried to catch 51P/Harrington, but twilight was very
                  > strong, and a
                  >> tree hid it.
                  >>
                  >> Pics and more information soon.
                  >>
                  >> Gabor Santa
                  >> Szeged, Hungary

                • gvnn64
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
                    > I want to remark that J. J. Gonzales has observed C/2007 N3 at 10.6
                    mag

                    Hello Maik and all,
                    thanks to Gustavo, you can find an updated analysis of this comet in or
                    blog: http://remanzacco.blogspot.com/

                    A pretty unusual coma...

                    Kind regards,
                    Giovanni