Re: [comets-ml] 17P/Holmes fading in the zodiacal light.

  • Alan Hale
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I tried for this comet last night, and couldn't convince myself I was seeing
      it (although I couldn't be entirely sure I wasn't seeing it, either).
      However, Rolando Ligustri posted an excellent image to the "Comet-Images"
      group that he had taken last night, and armed with that and thus with a
      precise knowledge of what to look for, I tried again tonight (20 cm
      reflector), and was able to convince myself I was seeing it this time.

      Extremely faint and vague -- it was probably easiest to see it by seeing
      where it wasn't. Overall surface brightness was perhaps similar to the
      faintest regions of IC 405. I'm sure I was only seeing the central regions
      of the coma, but overall I was seeing dimenions of approximately 20'
      (east-west) by 15' (north-south). By extreme defocusing of field stars, I
      measured an approximate m1=7.5:

      I probably won't look for this comet again, but I'm glad I was able to get
      it this one last time. We've now gone a little over six months since the
      outburst began.

      Sincerely,

      Alan