Re: [comets-ml] Comet 2007 W1 Boattini obs

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
      Hi all,

      > Exactly! In large binoculars, the comet is a good magnitude brighter than
      > predicted. On April 3, I made it 9.9 in a 10-cm binocular telescope at 25x.
      >
      > But it is very diffuse and without much condensation.

      I hope JJ does not mind post his observation from the CometObs list here:

      2008 Apr. 3.98 UT: m1=8.9, Dia.=10', DC=3, 10x50B.
      ( Sierra del Aramo, alt. 1280 m, Asturias )
      J. J. Gonzales
      ( http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CometObs/message/2946 )

      Unfortunately the comet is low above the horizon for us northerners, demanding
      very clear skies in order to not underestimate the comet.

      Cheers, Maik
    • John Drummond
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
        Here's a photo of Boattini from Friday 4th April 2008 (.40 UT) through the 16" Newtonian @ f5.2 with an SBIG STL11000M CCD. A nucleus is evident in the photo, but this is probably a by product of processing - as I also couldn't clearly see a nucleus through my other 16" (Dob)...

        1 minute sub exposures - 5 x luminance, 3 x RGB. The FOV = ~1 degree by .66 degrees.

        http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/comet_boatini-2007w1-41cm@f5,2-1min-5lum-1x1,3rgb-2x2-25c-080404-drummond-web.jpg
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/6k3nwc

        Cheers

        John Drummond
        Possum Observatory (IAU Code: E94)
        Gisborne, New Zealand
        E 177° 53', S 38° 38'
        Email: john_drummond@...
        Website: http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz
        Images: http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/latest_images-all-continuing.htm

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
          Just making my obs for W1.

          C/2007 W1 Boattini

          Date: 08/04/06
          Time: 12:33 UT
          Inst: 10" f/5 dob, 40mm plossl

          Est mag: 9.2
          Est dia: 7.79'
          DC: 3

          No tail was observed visually, the central condensation is a little
          stronger, im really surprised at how this comet is changing in the space of
          48 hours since my last obs.
          Diameter estimate was obtained using drift timings, i also estimated the
          diameter using fraction of FOV and made it out at 8' (1/12th FOV)

          Cheers!
          Chris Wyatt
          Walcha, NSW
          Australia

          My visual observation of comet C/2007 W1 Boattini this evening
          2008 April 2.40 UT: m1=10.1, Dia.=4', DC=2...25x100mm B...Michael
          Mattiazzo
          (Castlemaine, Victoria)
          This comet appears brighter than its predicted ephemeris by nearly a full
          magnitude.

          Michael and all,

          Exactly! In large binoculars, the comet is a good magnitude brighter than
          predicted. On April 3, I made it 9.9 in a 10-cm binocular telescope at 25x.

          But it is very diffuse and without much condensation.

          Regards,

          David Seargent

          Checked by AVG.
          11:12 AM