17P Holmes -- naked eye challenge

  • cometlynx
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2008
      Hello all,
      Like many of you, I continue to see how long Comet Holmes will remain
      a naked eye object from my site.
      It was faintly, fleetingly visible with the naked eye on 2:15 UT March
      24 under transparent skies (mag. 6.5 stars visible). The comet
      appeared as a uniform smudge approximately 1/2 degree across.
      10x50 binoculars showed a dim puff that was 1 1/4 degrees across with
      DC=0. It appeared a little elongated in the north-south direction.
      Has anyone else seen it with the naked eye since the moon departed?
      Thanks,
      Bob