Lunar occultation oc C/2008 C1 Chen Gao

  • Dave Herald
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2008
      A Vegas Luna has advised:

      *********
      according to my calculations the new comet C2008 C1 Chen-Gao will be
      occulted by the moon on Apr. 9th - 10th after it's close encounter
      with Holmes at the end of this month .. it should be fairly bright
      since perihelion is Apr. 17th ..
      *********

      On my calculations using the latest set of elements for the comet (MPEC 2008-F03], an
      occultation occurs (D) on April 10, with the night-time region of visibility being China,
      Korea, far-eastern Russia, and Japan. At the time the moon is a very favourable 25%
      illuminated. However the total mag of the comet will only be 11.8 - which means the
      maximum surface brightness will be much less. Consequently I expect the earthshine will be
      much brighter than the comet.

      For those interested in monitoring this event, indicative times [UTC] are as follows:
      y m d h m s
      08 Apr 10 13 38 29 Beijing
      08 Apr 10 14 16 29 Hanoi
      08 Apr 10 13 43 25 Seoul
      08 Apr 10 13 49 0 Shanghai
      08 Apr 10 13 56 25 Taipei
      08 Apr 10 13 45 26 Tokyo

      Note that these times could change by over a minute (especially for Hanoi) as a result of
      orbit improvements between now and the event.

      If there is interest, I could post a more comprehensive set of predictions...

      Dave Herald
      Canberra, Australia