Re: Change in appearance of 17P/Holmes?

  • cnj999
    Message 1 of 101 , Mar 1, 2008
      I hasten to point out that it appears the diffuse mass being descibed
      as the "coma" of 17/P is, since the last full moon, likely only a
      faction of that previously seen. In late January and early February,
      before moonlight began to interfere, coma diameters in the order of 80'
      up to 120' were being reported and the coma was growing progressively
      larger, inspite of its increasing distance from Earth. Now, quite
      suddenly, what is being reported in the way of coma diameters seems
      typically only about 60'.

      Considering that the former "tail" (which it probably was not, in the
      usual sense) was a part of the outer perimeter of the original
      elongated coma, its outer-most regions likely have just faded to the
      degree that they have been lost to the sky background. The coma's
      former elongated shape has not truly transitioned and/or shrunk (which
      would be difficult to explain) into a more circular outline but rather
      what was visible of reported coma has changed, by virtual of the
      comet's fading and dissapation.

      JBortle
    • kammerer_a
      Message 101 of 101 , May 17

        Hi all,

        I have updated my analysis of the currently brighter comets. You can find it at the URL