17P light curve updated.

  • Seiichi Yoshida
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2008
      Dear colleagues,

      I updated the light curve, and the graph of coma size of Comet
      17P/Holmes.

      http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0017P/2007.html

      The comet has been fading slowly along a formula of 5 log r since mid
      November. That is, the comet became fainter only because the distance
      increased. The dust shell itself did not fade at all, just it became
      somewhat more distant.

      The formula suggests that the comet will keep so bright as 6 mag in
      the next autumn and winter. (Really?)

      The apparent diameter now becamse somewhat smaller than before. But
      the reason is not only because it moved away from the earth. The
      actual size of the coma has been expanding still now, but the pace is
      slowed down recently.

      Seiichi Yoshida
      comet@...
      http://www.aerith.net/
    • Seiichi Yoshida
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2008
        Dear colleagues,

        I updated the light curve, and the graph of coma size of Comet
        17P/Holmes.

        http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0017P/2007.html

        The comet has been fading slowly along a formula of 5 log r since mid
        November. That is, the comet became fainter only because the distance
        increased. The dust shell itself did not fade at all, just it became
        somewhat more distant.

        The formula suggests that the comet will keep so bright as 6 mag in
        the next autumn and winter. (Really?)

        The apparent diameter now becamse smaller than before. In the view
        point of the actual size, the coma had been expanding almost linearly
        until mid January, but it has been constant since mid January. That is
        probably because we became to see the front of the extended coma now.

        Seiichi Yoshida
        comet@...
        http://www.aerith.net/