17P visibility

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      I am now at the limit estimating 17P with reliability from my usual observing
      place. On Jan. 29, I was at my parents home, in the Erzgebirge mountains, 6.5 mag
      at the zenith and 17P was easy to spot with the 3.5x15 opera glasses and also easy
      with the naked eye, although no longer possible to estimate without the opera
      glasses due to its extent. I estimated 4.0 (at first uncertain, later corrected).

      Last night, at my usual place at home (5.5 mag at the zenith) I saw it only with
      the opera glasses as a ghostly patch, and only since I knew where to look. The
      brightness estimate was of course only uncertain and I guess my observations for
      17P from this place are soon over.

      46P at 8.7 mag was way better to see than 17P! I never would have imagined to lose
      a comet at 4 mag.

      Cheers, Maik