The discovery of C/2007 K5

  • Terry Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29 8:30 PM
      Discovery of Comet C/2007K5

      First of all a big thank you to all your kind words :)

      After a discovering Comet C/2007 E2 on March 15 this year, I am happy
      to report finding another Comet just 2 months later! Naturally I am
      elated, especially since this one was a much tougher and challenging
      find, proving my techniques are working.

      This particular comet (designated C/2007K5) was found as a small
      faint but still rather obvious blue-green haze in my images from the
      evening of May 26. My initial estimate is mag 13, but I admit I have
      not attempted more precise photometry and visually the comet could
      well be brighter. Interestingly the discovery was made during a
      bright waxing moon and in the evening sky where moderate light
      pollution prevails. On the evening I had both cameras (a Canon 300D
      + Canon 350D) mounted the usual way with the 300D pointed towards -18
      declination and the 350D pointed towards declination -11. This
      allows me to image 13 degree wide sweep of sky from west to east.
      Some 12 individual starfields were covered with both cameras, with 12
      subexposures of 90 seconds for each starfield.

      The following day, I downloaded the images from my 300D and ran them
      through the usual automated processing steps (IRIS is used for this).
      This processing step outputs 2 images per starfield effectively
      separated by 10 minutes so that moving objects like comets can be
      identified. By 'blinking' the 2 images one can see objects like
      asteroids and comets bobbing backwards and forwards. On examining
      the first image I almost immediately noticed a moving small hazy
      object with a distinctive blue green colour typical of many comets.
      I knew I had something for sure, and notified a number of other for
      confirmation of a possible comet.

      Confirmation came on May 28 when both John Drummond and I made
      followup observations, which were then sent to Dan Green at CBAT.
      Further followup was obtained on May 29 by Rob McNaught before an
      official circular (IAUC 8840) announced the new comet as C/2007 K5.
      Interesting, C/2007 K5 required less than 20 hours of actual
      searching in contrast to the estimated 1400 hours for C/2007 E2.

      The comet itself appears to be quite faint, and will problably remain
      that way, but a comet none-the-less. Further astrometry is require
      to calculate an orbit and once this is done the comet will be named.

      Terry
    • gvnn64@libero.it
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30 12:36 AM
        Hello Terry,
        another nice find: congratulations.

        Cheers,
        Giovanni

        Leggi GRATIS le tue mail con il telefonino i-mode™ di Wind
        http://i-mode.wind.it/
      • Lode Stevens
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30 3:15 AM
          Keep on doing the good work , congratz.

          *¨) ¤
          ..´ ..*¨) ..*.. *
          (¸..Lode Stevens.*¸ ¤
          ..´ ..´¤ ¸.*
          (¸..* (¸..

          Basis Perustum Tungrorum Belgica
          50°47' 32.36" NB 5°29' 56.79' OL alt:101 m

[...]

        • Carlos Fernÿffffe1ndez

            Message 5 of 6 , May 30 1:49 PM
              Great Terry, great!!.

              Cheers.

              Jose.
            • Luis Alberto Mansilla Salvo
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31 6:45 AM
                Congratulations Terry - excellent work!
                Luis
                Luis Alberto Mansilla
                Coordinador Sección Cometas LIADA - Liga Iberoamericana de Astronomía
                RASTREADORES DE COMETAS - Web: http://cometas.astronomiaonline.com
                Reportes @: cometas@...