Re: C/2006 VZ13 is 11 mag!?

  • Seiichi Yoshida
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2007
      Dear Alan Hale,

      > I made another visual attempt for this comet this morning, this time with a
      > dark sky. I didn't see anything convincing down to at least m1 ~13.5.

      Thank you very much for your reports.

      I myself observed it on Apr. 28.

      C/2006 VZ13 ( LINEAR )
      2007 Apr. 28.77 UT: m1=13.3, Dia.=0.6', DC=3... 40.0cm L f/4.5 (257x) ...Seiichi Yoshida (Gunma, Japan)

      http://www.aerith.net/obs/diary.html

      Near limit, but a small faint object was visible. I observed it with
      higher magnification because it located near by a 13.8 mag star.

      The comet seemed much fainter than the 13.8 mag star in focus. I
      estimated the magnitude using Sidgwick method, but maybe
      overestimated.

      Seiichi Yoshida
      comet@...
      http://www.aerith.net/
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2007
        Dear Seiichi, dear all,

        > I myself observed it on Apr. 28.
        >
        > C/2006 VZ13 ( LINEAR )
        > 2007 Apr. 28.77 UT: m1=13.3, Dia.=0.6', DC=3... 40.0cm L f/4.5 (257x) ...Seiichi
        > Yoshida (Gunma, Japan)

        this could mean a maximum brightness of at least 6 mag. Close monitoring is
        strongly recommended.

        Cheers, Maik
      • Seiichi Yoshida
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2007
          Dear Maik Meyer,

          > Dear Seiichi, dear all,
          >
          > > I myself observed it on Apr. 28.
          > >
          > > C/2006 VZ13 ( LINEAR )
          > > 2007 Apr. 28.77 UT: m1=13.3, Dia.=0.6', DC=3... 40.0cm L f/4.5 (257x) ...Seiichi
          > > Yoshida (Gunma, Japan)
          >
          > this could mean a maximum brightness of at least 6 mag. Close monitoring is
          > strongly recommended.

          I think it is too optimistic :-)

          My observation means H10 = 8.5 mag, which suggests to be around 8.0
          mag at best in July.

          Seiichi Yoshida
          comet@...
          http://www.aerith.net/
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2007
            Dear Seiichi,

            > > this could mean a maximum brightness of at least 6 mag. Close monitoring is
            > > strongly recommended.
            >
            > I think it is too optimistic :-)
            >
            > My observation means H10 = 8.5 mag, which suggests to be around 8.0
            > mag at best in July.

            you are right - it was a typo, maybe wishful thinking. ;)

            Sorry for stirring up any hopes.

            Cheers, Maik
          • Mr Wyatt
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2007
              G'Day Mike,
              What latitudes is this comet expected to be visible from and where is it
              now??

              Cheers!
              Chris W
              Walcha, NSW, Australia
              > > this could mean a maximum brightness of at least 6 mag. Close
              monitoring is
              > > strongly recommended.
              >
              > I think it is too optimistic :-)
              >
              > My observation means H10 = 8.5 mag, which suggests to be around 8.0
              > mag at best in July.

              you are right - it was a typo, maybe wishful thinking. ;)

              Sorry for stirring up any hopes.

              Cheers, Maik
              2:57 PM

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                Hi Chris,

                > What latitudes is this comet expected to be visible from and where is it
                > now??

                generally the comet attains never large solar elongation. A general overview
                can be found at

                http://aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html

                Cheers, Maik