Negative...

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
      Dear list,

      one of my worst observing experiences.

      To make it short: Sky was clear with occasional low clouds. However, moisture was
      present. The sun showed (when occulted) a large glowing halo, the blue of the sky
      was light blue, not dark blue.

      I tried to catch it before noon with 10x50's without success. The glow was too
      strong. This was quite a disappointment.

      I then had a phone conversation with Sebastian Hoenig and we decided to try it
      together. So I cancelled our family trip and drove to Bonn where our first attempt
      with 20x100's was doomed to fail due to much more high clouds and moisture. The
      skyglow was even worse than before noon. We then waited until sunset, however,
      with the same result as before.

      What a disappointment! :(

      Last chance maybe tomorrow morning from my office, but I do not think that the sky
      will be better than today.

      Cheers, Maik
    • Maciej Reszelski
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Maik Meyer" <maik@...> wrote:

        > Dear list,
        >
        > one of my worst observing experiences.
        >
        > To make it short: Sky was clear with occasional low clouds.
        However, moisture was
        > present. The sun showed (when occulted) a large glowing halo, the
        blue of the sky
        > was light blue, not dark blue.

        Maik,

        The forecast are better for us from Central Europe. So, good
        luck. I have three observing sessions today. First with excellent
        sky and Sun behind clouds - comet was easy, then second when was
        no clouds and sky was not so dark blue as before - comet was hard
        to spotted, then with cirrus when I did not found comet at all, just
        suspect. This is the first time since Jan. 8 when observations are
        possible. So, i'm very well know how frustrate can be such as things
        as you have today.

        Again good luck!

        Best regards,
        Maciej
      • Konrad Horn
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
          Hi Maik and Sebastian,

          what a sad story!!

          I can confirm your statement. It must be the moisture
          in the air. We had a blue sky yesterday and today.
          Yesterday the comet was easy to see with a 10X50
          bino and also by naked eye. Today I searched about
          10 min. with the bino with no success. The only difference
          was that the blue today was brighter than yesterday.
          Time was around 12:00 UT

          Konrad
        • pat stonehouse
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
            HI Maik,
            Try using more aperature.
            Yesterday I observed the comet through and in
            between clouds in the Great Lakes State of Michigan in
            USA. Observed it first in a 12" Newtonian and then 12
            X 70 binoculars. In both instruments the comet was
            easy to pick up even through the high cirrus clouds
            although the tail was not visible in either.
            I also used 10 X 50mm binoculars several times and
            found that I could just pick up the comet in those but
            was very difficult and had to know exactly where to
            look.
            There was a great difference between the 50mm and
            the 70mm binoculars in ease of viewing the bright
            comet which I pegged at about mag -4.1 yesterday at
            08:32 UT and Mag -4.4 at 11:04 UT. At the latter time
            clouds obscured the bright sun making viewing the
            comet much easier.
            Regards,
            Patrick Stonehouse

            --- Maik Meyer <maik@...> wrote:

            > Dear list,
            >
            > one of my worst observing experiences.
            >
            > To make it short: Sky was clear with occasional low
            > clouds. However, moisture was
            > present. The sun showed (when occulted) a large
            > glowing halo, the blue of the sky
            > was light blue, not dark blue.
            >
            > I tried to catch it before noon with 10x50's without
            > success. The glow was too
            > strong. This was quite a disappointment.
            >
            > I then had a phone conversation with Sebastian
            > Hoenig and we decided to try it
            > together. So I cancelled our family trip and drove
            > to Bonn where our first attempt
            > with 20x100's was doomed to fail due to much more
            > high clouds and moisture. The
            > skyglow was even worse than before noon. We then
            > waited until sunset, however,
            > with the same result as before.
            >
            > What a disappointment! :(
            >
            > Last chance maybe tomorrow morning from my office,
            > but I do not think that the sky
            > will be better than today.
            >
            > Cheers, Maik
            > --
            > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
            > * Juan Ramon Jimenez

            TV dinner still cooling?
            http://tv.yahoo.com/
          • H.Luethen
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
              Same thing here. I spent all the time between 12:00 and after sunset out
              in the stormy weather here in Hamburg. There were occasional cloud-free
              areas, but none would cover the comet. At about 14 UT it cleared up
              completely, but as Maik mentioned there was this annoying white glow
              around the sun. I tried it with a 10X50, and a 10cm Mak, with no result.
              Things did not improve when the sun was setting, although the
              tranparency was not really bad. Must have been moisture. Very sad
              experience.

              So, summing it up I saw this great comets for only 3 Minutes last week.

              Hartwig

              Maik Meyer schrieb:
              > Dear list,
              >
              > one of my worst observing experiences.
              >
              > To make it short: Sky was clear with occasional low clouds. However, moisture was
              > present. The sun showed (when occulted) a large glowing halo, the blue of the sky
              > was light blue, not dark blue.
              >
              > I tried to catch it before noon with 10x50's without success. The glow was too
              > strong. This was quite a disappointment.
              >
              > I then had a phone conversation with Sebastian Hoenig and we decided to try it
              > together. So I cancelled our family trip and drove to Bonn where our first attempt
              > with 20x100's was doomed to fail due to much more high clouds and moisture. The
              > skyglow was even worse than before noon. We then waited until sunset, however,
              > with the same result as before.
              >
              > What a disappointment! :(
              >
              > Last chance maybe tomorrow morning from my office, but I do not think that the sky
              > will be better than today.
              >
              > Cheers, Maik
            • Alan Hale
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                Dear Maik,

                I hear you. I was fortunate enough to be able to get a couple of brief
                "nighttime" observations of the comet, but the weather was definitely less
                than 100% cooperative. I'll describe in more detail in a later post.

                > I can confirm your statement. It must be the moisture
                > in the air. We had a blue sky yesterday and today.
                > Yesterday the comet was easy to see with a 10X50
                > bino and also by naked eye. Today I searched about
                > 10 min. with the bino with no success. The only difference
                > was that the blue today was brighter than yesterday.
                > Time was around 12:00 UT

                I have viewed the comet telescopically in daytime for the past three days,
                and today it was clearly fainter than during the previous two. Based on
                observations of Venus with the same instrument (20 cm SCT) at similar
                elevation, today I'd estimate m1 = -3, down from m1 = -4 yesterday.

                Sincerely,

                Alan
              • Rodney Austin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                  Hi All,
                  Yesterday would have to rank as one of the most infuriating of my
                  life; apart from today. All over New Zealand people were watching the comet
                  by naked eye around midday, EXCEPT in my part of the country which was
                  totally clouded out. Today (currently 9:40am) we have an almost solid sheet
                  of high cloud following the sun up the sky, and a low sheet of Cu coming
                  from the SW and meeting overhead. We can actually see the sun, but it is
                  fading by the minute.

                  This almost exactly what happened to me in 1965. We will be exceptionally
                  fortunate if the cloud clears to see the comet tonight. There is general
                  agreement and scientific evidence too, that this last 6 months has been the
                  worst early summer since 1945. Here in New Plymouth, the solstice was the
                  second coldest on record, and even colder than New York on the same day!!!

                  It must be the comet as this sort of thing seems occur only when something
                  interesting is happening. ;:-{((
                  Regards
                  Rod Austin

                • Greg Crinklaw
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                    Alan,

                    Alan Hale wrote:
                    > I have viewed the comet telescopically in daytime for the past three days,
                    > and today it was clearly fainter than during the previous two. Based on
                    > observations of Venus with the same instrument (20 cm SCT) at similar
                    > elevation, today I'd estimate m1 = -3, down from m1 = -4 yesterday.

                    That's odd--I observed the comet via naked eye at noon today and at noon
                    yesterday and at least qualitatively I felt that it was considerably
                    brighter today. I didn't spot Venus today (it was in the trees), so I
                    didn't make any sort of comparison (which is rather difficult anyhow)
                    but I can say that it is more distinct and easier seen today than
                    yesterday, in about the same sky conditions. Maybe this is some sort of
                    aperture effect?

                    I'm looking forward to seeing it again in twilight this evening,
                    assuming the weather stays clear. Last night I observed it from the
                    side of highway 82 at the trestle, which gave me a pretty good view of
                    the horizon at the right azimuth. It was wonderful in binoculars.

                    Clear skies,
                    Greg

                    --
                    Greg Crinklaw
                    Astronomical Software Developer

                    SkyTools Software for the Observer:
                    http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

                    Skyhound Observing Pages:
                    http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
                  • Quanzhi Ye
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Hi Mike,
                        I have tried three or four times to catch it in daylight but all
                        failed -- using 11x70 binocular. But my friend succeed by a 5-inch
                        refractor.
                        Regards,
                        Quanzhi

                        --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "Maik Meyer" <maik@...> wrote:

                        > Dear list,
                        >
                        > one of my worst observing experiences.
                        >
                        > To make it short: Sky was clear with occasional low clouds.
                        However, moisture was
                        > present. The sun showed (when occulted) a large glowing halo, the
                        blue of the sky
                        > was light blue, not dark blue.
                        >
                        > I tried to catch it before noon with 10x50's without success. The
                        glow was too
                        > strong. This was quite a disappointment.
                        >
                        > I then had a phone conversation with Sebastian Hoenig and we
                        decided to try it
                        > together. So I cancelled our family trip and drove to Bonn where
                        our first attempt
                        > with 20x100's was doomed to fail due to much more high clouds and
                        moisture. The
                        > skyglow was even worse than before noon. We then waited until
                        sunset, however,
                        > with the same result as before.
                        >
                        > What a disappointment! :(
                        >
                        > Last chance maybe tomorrow morning from my office, but I do not
                        think that the sky
                        > will be better than today.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Maik
                        > --
                        > If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. * Juan Ramon
                        Jimenez

                      • Rolf
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                          Rodney,
                          I know how you feel, here in Rotorua is
                          exactly the same situation.

                          Cheers, Rolf.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                            Quanzhi Ye wrote:
                            > Hi Mike,
                            > I have tried three or four times to catch it in daylight but all
                            > failed -- using 11x70 binocular. But my friend succeed by a 5-inch
                            > refractor.
                            > Regards,
                            > Quanzhi

                            Here in Canberra we have been fighting against smoke haze for the past
                            three days. I have seen P1 in daylight each day using 25x100
                            binoculars, but not once with 10x50. Larger aperture makes a big
                            difference to seeing the comet when the sky is not perfect.

                            DN
                            --
                            _________________________
                            David Nicholls
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007
                              Indeed, I have been going crazy for the past 3 days. I certainly did enjoy
                              the comet this past Mon., Tue, and Wed., but being unable to view a
                              naked-eye daylight comet is incredibly frustrating, with the knowledge
                              that such an event may not occur again in my lifetime.

                              I spent Saturday morning sitting outside my house hoping for a break in
                              the clouds. Then I drove about the central Virginia countryside looking
                              for 'blue holes' - no luck. My wife was happy I left the house for the
                              entire day Sunday so that she wouldn't have to hear my moaning...

                              Michael Doyle
                              Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
                            • Tony Hoffman
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007
                                Here in New York City, the skies have been a solid sheet of gray for
                                the past few days. There was a partial clearing late Friday afternoon,
                                but unfortunately it didn't extend far enough down to free the comet.
                                Saturday morning, after a glance at the sullen sky, I resigned myself
                                to the fact that daylight observation would not be in the cards for me,
                                poured myself a cup of coffee, and watched the reports and photos roll
                                in. Having such a hopelessly cloudy sky probably made it easier to
                                accept than if conditions had been marginal--it was just not meant to
                                be. Guess I'll have to wait for the next one. I have to consider myself
                                fortunate to make the four sightings that I did, in less than optimal
                                conditions--it was as spectacular a binocular comet as I've ever seen.
                                --Tony

                                --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, gmike@... wrote:

                                > Indeed, I have been going crazy for the past 3 days. I certainly did
                                enjoy
                                > the comet this past Mon., Tue, and Wed., but being unable to view a
                                > naked-eye daylight comet is incredibly frustrating, with the knowledge
                                > that such an event may not occur again in my lifetime.
                                >
                                > I spent Saturday morning sitting outside my house hoping for a break
                                in
                                > the clouds. Then I drove about the central Virginia countryside
                                looking
                                > for 'blue holes' - no luck. My wife was happy I left the house for
                                the
                                > entire day Sunday so that she wouldn't have to hear my moaning...
                                >
                                > Michael Doyle
                                > Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

                              • Carey Johnson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007
                                  As I calculated the days that the comet would be at maximum altitude above
                                  the horizon at sunset, and watching the clouds hinder my effort to find the
                                  comet, I knew that my days of finding it were numbered.
                                  After the week long overcast has receeded to clearer skies, I have viewed
                                  the comet at sunset for 3 days now.
                                  But I know that it's altitude will soon not permit viewing anymore for us in
                                  the northern hemisphere. Tonights' sunset has the comet's altitude at only
                                  2* 26'. And tomorrow 1* 15'.
                                  I'm really amazed that people north of me have seen it as late as last
                                  night.

                                  But soon we will only be able to enjoy the comet by poxy, from you guys down
                                  south; so keep the reports and photo's rolling in. It should be nice when
                                  the comet can be viewed at night again.

                                  When I was changing viewing locations last night because the hilltop I was
                                  on got some Mauka showers, I picked a spot that was kinda obscure, just the
                                  first place I could get to with a view of the ocean; I was surprised at how
                                  many people at that location were also looking for the comet. And this was
                                  a really obscure spot, behind fishermans warf. Makes me wonder how many
                                  other people were looking for it in other locations.

                                  Carey

                                  >From: "Tony Hoffman" <tonyhoffman@...>
                                  >To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: [comets-ml] Re: Negative...
                                  >Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:20:25 -0000
                                  >
                                  >Here in New York City, the skies have been a solid sheet of gray for
                                  >the past few days. There was a partial clearing late Friday afternoon,
                                  >but unfortunately it didn't extend far enough down to free the comet.
                                  >Saturday morning, after a glance at the sullen sky, I resigned myself
                                  >to the fact that daylight observation would not be in the cards for me,
                                  >poured myself a cup of coffee, and watched the reports and photos roll
                                  >in. Having such a hopelessly cloudy sky probably made it easier to
                                  >accept than if conditions had been marginal--it was just not meant to
                                  >be. Guess I'll have to wait for the next one. I have to consider myself
                                  >fortunate to make the four sightings that I did, in less than optimal
                                  >conditions--it was as spectacular a binocular comet as I've ever seen.
                                  >--Tony
                                  >
                                  >--- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, gmike@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Indeed, I have been going crazy for the past 3 days. I certainly did
                                  >enjoy
                                  > > the comet this past Mon., Tue, and Wed., but being unable to view a
                                  > > naked-eye daylight comet is incredibly frustrating, with the knowledge
                                  > > that such an event may not occur again in my lifetime.
                                  > >
                                  > > I spent Saturday morning sitting outside my house hoping for a break
                                  >in
                                  > > the clouds. Then I drove about the central Virginia countryside
                                  >looking
                                  > > for 'blue holes' - no luck. My wife was happy I left the house for
                                  >the
                                  > > entire day Sunday so that she wouldn't have to hear my moaning...
                                  > >
                                  > > Michael Doyle
                                  > > Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

                                  >NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be
                                  >indicated by:
                                  >
                                  >Comets Mailing List [date]
                                  >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
                                  >
                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
                                  www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701