Appreciating Comet 2006 P1 current situation

  • cnj999
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
      Observers and posters should take a moment to savor the reading of
      the "live" reports and images of Comet 2006 P1's that are coming in, or
      in actually seeing it for themselves at mid-day yesterday, today, and
      perhaps tomorrow. Such is an event that occurs only very, very rarely,
      on average perhaps twice in the entire lifetime of most comet
      observers...if they are lucky. I still have vivid memories of seeing
      Comet West at noonday 31 years ago, as well as of the mild but hazy
      weather that precluded my having a chance at seeing Comet Ikaya-Seki
      similarly nearly 42 years ago.

      Enjoy that sight while you've got it!

      JBortle
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
        John....
        Please send your huge cloud fans down south....we have been soaked for a week with no
        end in sight until Tuesday.
        No comet in Dixie.
        But it is very enlightening and pleasurable to see these accounts as you
        say.....goodness, I saw one report of "-6 magnitude" which very likely could be
        accurate.

        Clay
        -------------
        Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
        Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
        Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
        http://www.arksky.org/

        > Observers and posters should take a moment to savor the reading of
        > the "live" reports and images of Comet 2006 P1's that are coming in, or
        > in actually seeing it for themselves at mid-day yesterday, today, and
        > perhaps tomorrow. Such is an event that occurs only very, very rarely,
        > on average perhaps twice in the entire lifetime of most comet
        > observers...if they are lucky. I still have vivid memories of seeing
        > Comet West at noonday 31 years ago, as well as of the mild but hazy
        > weather that precluded my having a chance at seeing Comet Ikaya-Seki
        > similarly nearly 42 years ago.
        >
        > Enjoy that sight while you've got it!
        >
        > JBortle

        > NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be indicated
        > by:

      • Terry Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
          John,

          I was thinking about this and last century there were problably a few
          comets with similiar daylight visibility that were missed. Some
          possible candidates are:

          C/1947 X1 (Southern) - Not Discovered until after perihelion.
          C/1948 V1 (Eclipse) - Lack of Communication, not widely known until
          after perihelion.
          C/1961 O1 (Wilson-Hubbard) - Not Discovered until after perihelion
          C/1962 C1 (Seki-Lines) - Possibly nobody looked!?
          C/1963 R1 (Pereyra) - Not Discovered until after perihelion
          C/1970 K1 (White-Ortiz-Bolelli) - Not Discovered until after perihelion

          I did read somewhere that Seki-Lines may have chocked temporarily at
          perihelion based on studies of the dust tail. In any case these days
          thanks to improvements in technology you would not expect any of these
          objects to be missed.

          Terry

          --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "cnj999" <jbortle@...> wrote:

          > Observers and posters should take a moment to savor the reading of
          > the "live" reports and images of Comet 2006 P1's that are coming in,
          or
          > in actually seeing it for themselves at mid-day yesterday, today, and
          > perhaps tomorrow. Such is an event that occurs only very, very
          rarely,
          > on average perhaps twice in the entire lifetime of most comet
          > observers...if they are lucky. I still have vivid memories of seeing
          > Comet West at noonday 31 years ago, as well as of the mild but hazy
          > weather that precluded my having a chance at seeing Comet Ikaya-Seki
          > similarly nearly 42 years ago.
          >
          > Enjoy that sight while you've got it!
          >
          > JBortle

        • Mike Holloway
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
            --- In comets-ml@yahoogroups.com, "cnj999" <jbortle@...> wrote:

            > Observers and posters should take a moment to savor the reading of
            > the "live" reports and images of Comet 2006 P1's that are coming in,
            or
            > in actually seeing it for themselves at mid-day yesterday, today, and
            > perhaps tomorrow. Such is an event that occurs only very, very
            rarely,
            > on average perhaps twice in the entire lifetime of most comet
            > observers...if they are lucky. I still have vivid memories of seeing
            > Comet West at noonday 31 years ago, as well as of the mild but hazy
            > weather that precluded my having a chance at seeing Comet Ikaya-Seki
            > similarly nearly 42 years ago.
            >
            > Enjoy that sight while you've got it!
            >
            > JBortle

            Mr Bortle. Your input here is a great value and I am prout to be a
            part of it. I wonder with the modern imaging which I attempt to do
            myself and the fact that this comet has been imaged by a few including
            myself sence November 06, if the continous monitoring has had an effect
            on what the public now sees as a great comet even though most knew
            nothing of this comet? If the comet were just seen as an evening sight
            in the Western skys, would this be a great comet or something less?
            How long were the comets you speak of seen or known about before there
            bright time in our skys? I only speek of the time this comet has been
            observed so far and not what might be.
            Thank you for your expert post.
            Mike Holloway
            Holloway Comet Observatory