Re: [comets-ml] Comet Mc Naught Sketches

  • Brian Cudnik
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
      Got it! My flight from Seattle to Houston was delayed
      2 hours, which was better, because I was able to, at
      37,000 feet over the Texas Panhandle, spot C/2006 P1
      McNaught naked eye and show it to a seat-mate who
      graciously allowed me to trade seats with him for the
      occasion. We were skimming the tops of cirrostratus,
      which, moments before, engulfed the entire plane,
      making it appear hopeless for a while. Then we broke
      thru into a clear area, and finding Venus, I scanned
      the horizon visually for signs of the comet...

      ...it popped out, first as a streak, then the head
      appeared, looking as bright, once I got a fix on it,
      as Mercury during the early part of the evening
      apparition (m= -1.8 for Mercury). After a few seconds,
      the comet took on the form, though miniature, of what
      had been circulating on the Internet in recent days. I
      traced the tail about 30' and the entire thing was
      yellow-white and about 1 degree above the horizontal
      (at that elevation, the clear horizon is about -3
      deg., but clouds obscured that...). My seatmate looked
      at it, then it disappeared into the cloud, not to be
      seen again that evening.

      It looked just like a little, brilliant comet...

      Hilarious in Houston...Brian

      P.S. did I mention I got the flight attendants, the
      captain, and several additional passengers excited
      over this? Unfortunately by the time these people
      looked, it was in the clouds...

      <martinastro2003@...<martinastro2003%40yahoo.com>>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here are a few quick sketches I made of comet Mc
      > Naught...
      > > >
      > > > Binocular view (Jan 9th)
      > > >
      > > > http://www.nightskyhunter.com/comet%2045-45.html
      > > >
      > > > Telescopic view (Jan 9th)
      > > >
      > > > http://www.nightskyhunter.com/comet%2044-44.html
      > > >
      > > > Naked eye view (Jan 10th)
      > > >
      > > > http://www.nightskyhunter.com/comet%2046-46.html
      > > >
      > > > Martin Mc kenna
      > > > N. Ireland
      > > >
      > > > http://www.nightskyhunter.com/

      > removed]

      > removed]
      > >
      > > http://www.nightskyhunter.com/

      > removed]

      > removed]

    • martin mc kenna
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2007
        Hi Bob

        I used an ordinary HB pencil on white printing paper. They are the sketches I have made for my log book. I simply took an image of the sketch from my log book using my digital camera (scanner is not wokring) and then inverted the image in photo elements to give a dark background.

        Hoping for clear skies this evening to get possibly my last observation of this comet. I was out before dawn this morning however despite large clear breaks the NE direction of clouds seemed to cover the comet from view. At least I got to see many lightning flashes! Will try a daylight obsv today wetaher permitting.

        Best of luck

        Martin
        N. Ireland