C/2006 P1 - daylight comet now close to -3 mag

  • Piotr Guzik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi John and others,

      C/2006 P1 (McNaught):
      2007 Jan. 10.587: m1=-2.5:*, Dia=30", DC=9, Tail=5' in PA~0
      deg...10x50B...Piotr Guzik (Krakow, Poland)[I found the comet around
      14:05 UT - when the Sun was 5.9 deg above horizon. The comet was
      pretty well visible with handheld 10x50 binoculars. I could even spot
      ~5' of tail. Then I estimated its magnitude (simply comparing with
      Venus).]

      Later I had to go to another place and shortly before sunset I could
      see the comet easily with 10x50B through thin cirruses. I spotted it
      with naked eye 5 minutes after sunset (which took place at 14:59 UT)
      though it was still in thin cirruses.

      C/2006 P1 (McNaught):
      2007 Jan. 10.651: m1=-2.9*, Dia=&2', DC=9, Tail = 4 deg in PA~0
      deg...NE...Piotr Guzik (Krakow, Poland)[The conditions were excellent
      - I could very clearly see Tatra mountains which were ~90km from my
      location. The comet was awesome sight. The tail could be traced AT
      LEAST to 4 degrees both with binoculars and with naked eye. It had
      extremely high surface brightness. It was curved to west and its
      eastern border was much more pronounced than western. I could still
      see it for several minutes after the comet had set behind the hills at
      true altitude 2.0 deg. It was also easy to see "nucleus shadow"
      through binoculars. Comet at first was perly-white and later became
      golden, thus the color is an atmospheric effect. I used Venus and
      Altair to estimate comets brightness. The observation is corrected for
      atmospheric extinction with a parameter of 0.15 mag per airmass as the
      sky was extremely transparent.]

      Best Regards
      Piotr Guzik
    • Alex Conu
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
        Here is my latest image of the comet:
        http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n179/conul/Comet%20McNaught/mcnaught11jan_conu_web.jpg?t=1168546783

        Alex

        --
        Have a nice day!

        Alex Conu

        freelance photographer

        e-mail: alex.conu@...
        Y!Messenger: alexandruconu
        Vodafone: 0721226723
        Orange: 0746609788
        Cosmote: 0765513793
      • Carey Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
          That's the same scope that I planned on imaging it with, if the weather
          would just cooperate.

          What do you use for spacers to bring the scope to focus with the DSLR?

          I got WO's last scope in thier blow-out sale for $200 and didn't get thier
          spacers. What I'm using isn't ideal, but it works.

          Carey

          >From: Alex Conu <alex.conu@...>
          >To: comets-ml@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [comets-ml] C/2006 P1 - daylight comet now close to -3 mag
          >Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:09:40 +0200
          >
          >Here is my latest image of the comet:
          >http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n179/conul/Comet%20McNaught/mcnaught11jan_conu_web.jpg?t=1168546783
          >

          >Alex
          >
          >--
          >Have a nice day!
          >
          >Alex Conu
          >
          >freelance photographer
          >
          >e-mail: alex.conu@...
          >Y!Messenger: alexandruconu
          >Vodafone: 0721226723
          >Orange: 0746609788
          >Cosmote: 0765513793

          >NOTICE: Material quoted or re-posted from the Comets Mailing List should be
          >indicated by:
          >
          >Comets Mailing List [date]
          >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/comets-ml
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live Messenger! Get
          it now