Re: C/2006 P1

  • cnj999
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
      I can finally report another look at P1, after a number of days of
      being thwarted by the weather. However, I will note that about five
      minutes before the comet appeared below the cloud deck in the west
      that I experienced a brief rain shower!

      The comet was first spotted with handheld 15x70B at 22:07UT (sunset
      +25 minutes). By 22:14UT I could detect it with the unaided eye and
      followed it so until it was just one degree from the horizon. It was
      never a truly obvious object to the unaided eye and clearly was still
      several magnitudes fainter than Venus, the only comparison object I
      had available because of clouds.

      With mounted 15x80B is obtained the following data at Jan. 8.93UT, m1
      = -1 , dia = ~1', tail 0.3* in pa 015*.

      Nice object, reminding me somewhat of Comet West when I saw it in
      daylight but less imposing.

      JBortle
    • Toni Scarmato
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2007
        At this address I Have poste an image of this evening, with data and an animation: http://digilander.libero.it/infosis/homepage/astronomia/c2006p1.htm
        The increase rate of magnitude is really impressive.
        At this point I think that the probability that the comet survive to the perielio appear very low.

        We have the chance to observed a fragmentation of a comet in Lasco C3 images?

        Regards,
        Toni Scarmato

      • Toni Scarmato
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2007
          Hi to all.

          Comet clearly brigth since yesterday evening, with a false nucleus much condensed (DC=9) that show a clear variation of the brightness (m1=3.2 with 7x50B and m1=3.9 NE with the comet at 5 deg above the horizon). Tail more long about 2 deg.

          Regards,
          Toni Scarmato

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2007
            Hi to all.

            Comet observed in not good conditions false nucleus much condensed (DC=9) tail long about 2 deg, m1=-3.5 to NE at about 5deg above the horizon.
            In 7x50B the central condensation is perfectly spherical and clearly separated by the outer coma.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2007
              Hi to all.

              Comet observed before the sunset with NE. DC=9 tail long about 2 deg, m1=-3.9 to NE at about 5deg above the horizon.
              In 7x50B the central condensation this evening is not perfectly spherical since yesterday evening.

              At this address I Have poste an image of this evening http://digilander.libero.it/infosis/homepage/astronomia/c2006p1.htm

              Regards,
              Toni Scarmato

            • mahinflorida@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 12, 2007
                Should I be able to see the comet here in Northern Florida ( about 31 degree's North ?).
                Thanks in advance.
              • Toni Scarmato
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 13, 2007
                  Hi to all.

                  Comet observed at 16:45 L.T. with NE. DC=9 tail long about 2 deg, m1=-4.7 to NE at about 5deg above the horizon.
                  Clearly brighter since my last observation.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2007
                    Hi to all.

                    Comet observed at 17:00 L.T. with 7x50B. DC=8 tail long about 1 deg, m1=--5.4 about 2 deg above the horizon.

                    Now, I will wait the images and estimations of the southern observers.

                    Good observations and a big show!

                    Regards
                    Toni Scarmato