RE: [comets-ml] Has C/2006 P1 (McNaught) entered negative magnitude territory?

  • McCann, Stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      This observation was at a slightly later time (1720UT) to that of Richard's, just
      a few tens of kilometers to the East.

      C/2006P1 (McNaught)
      2007 Jan. 6.72 m1~0.5, Dia=1', DC=8 ...20cm SCT (68x)...Stephen McCann
      (Southampton, England)

      Conditions were not so ideal, as for Richard, as the elevation was only
      about 2 degrees, so that the coma appeared stellar without any tail
      through the SCT. Incidently could not see P1 using 16x50B.

      Glad to have seen this one before it left our northern skies.

      Stephen McCann

      Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk
      The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
      proprietary to Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any
      third party without permission. This communication is for information
      only and shall not create or change any contractual relationship.
    • cnj999
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
        I can report a negative daylight search for C/2006 P1 on January 7.73
        UT, employing 20x120B, conducted around local noon and in a reasonably
        good sky. From past experience, this would suggest to me that probably
        either the coma lacks any very strong, sharp, central condensation
        (i.e. a reasonably star-like nucleus) and/or that m1 is still fainter
        than -1.0 at this time.

        JBortle
      • Carey Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
          I'm not an expert here, but if you're observing the comet with a SCT, I'm
          assuming at least 2000mm. I alway hear on this group that bright comets
          should be measured with smaller equipment. Probably 400mm or less, down to
          binoculars. In photography I recently discovered a great difference from my
          2000mm SCT at F/10 to a 400mm f/5.

          But I could be wrong.

          I plan on looking for it tomorrow when it finally gets above 5 degrees at
          sunset, with my 20 X 70 binoculars and my 400mm f/6.

          Carey
          Honolulu, HI

          >From: "McCann, Stephen" <stephen.mccann@...>
          >To: <comets-ml@yahoogroups.com>, <comets-ml@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [comets-ml] Has C/2006 P1 (McNaught) entered negative
          >magnitude territory?
          >Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 16:38:25 -0000
          >
          >This observation was at a slightly later time (1720UT) to that of
          >Richard's, just
          >a few tens of kilometers to the East.
          >
          >C/2006P1 (McNaught)
          >2007 Jan. 6.72 m1~0.5, Dia=1', DC=8 ...20cm SCT (68x)...Stephen McCann
          > (Southampton, England)
          >
          >Conditions were not so ideal, as for Richard, as the elevation was only
          >about 2 degrees, so that the coma appeared stellar without any tail
          >through the SCT. Incidently could not see P1 using 16x50B.
          >
          >Glad to have seen this one before it left our northern skies.
          >
          >Stephen McCann

          Type your favorite song.� Get a customized station.� Try MSN Radio powered
          by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
        • Konrad Horn
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
            Hi all,

            Nadine and myself managed to see the comet
            this evening by naked eye between 16:20-16:40 UT.
            Than the comet disappeared in clouds near the horizon.

            pls. find a picture at

            www.konradhorn.de

            We wish all of you a successful event with this
            now really bright comet!!

            Nadine + Konrad
          • Gary W. Kronk
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
              Using the Mallincam video system on my 20-cm Meade SCT, I was able to
              obtain images of Altair and C/2006 P1, while the sun was about a
              degree above the horizon on Saturday afternoon. The comet was plainly
              visible in the live images as a roundish object, while Altair was
              stellar. For both the comet and Altair clouds were drifting by during
              the observations, so that both images have clouds in them. The
              difference in size and brightness between Altair and the comet is
              quite notable, with the comet being larger and brighter, even though
              it was at a lower altitude and in brighter sky. I hope to post the
              images side-by-side for comparison on my web page at
              http://cometography.com/lcomets/2006p1.html either tonight or
              tomorrow morning.

              Sincerely,
              Gary
            • McCann, Stephen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
                Carey,
                Hi !

                Yes, you are perfectly correct. You should not make estimates
                with a SCT of a comet like this.

                However, I needed to use a GoTo scope to find the comet in the
                first place and I required to use Venus as a fixed reference. When
                I eventually spotted the comet in the SCT, I could not see it in
                my standard 'comet' binoculars, due to the low elevation of the comet
                lost in the murky layers of my skies.

                So, I've sort of excused myself this time.

                Incidentally I've tried to observe the comet today (10/01/07) in the
                daylight (12:10 UT) with my binoculars (16x50) with no success.

                Good luck with your observations.

                Kind regards

                Stephen

                Southampton UK (51N, 1.5W)