Has C/2006 P1 (McNaught) entered negative magnitude territory?

  • RICHARD MILES
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2007
      John Bortle's comments (below) are borne out as seen visually at 1702UT this
      evening (Jan 6th):

      C/2006P1 (McNaught)
      2007 Jan. 6.71 m1=0.0, Dia=2.0', DC=8, Tail=25' in PA
      035deg...11x80B...Richard Miles (Dorset, England)

      The coma is a further magnitude brighter compared with 24 hours ago and may
      very well already have attained a negative magnitude. The tail had more of
      a hollow fan-like appearance bright along the two outer edges than previous.
      The coma is now visible through even substantial cloud and when clear the
      comet can just be seen with the naked eye at the start of civil twilight
      (Sun at -6 deg altitude).

      The comet has generally been 4 magnitudes brighter than the m1 ephemeris
      prediction of the MPC for a few weeks now, whereas that difference may have
      now increased to about 5.0 magnitudes.

      Richard Miles
      Golden Hill Observatory

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
        This observation was at a slightly later time (1720UT) to that of Richard's, just
        a few tens of kilometers to the East.

        C/2006P1 (McNaught)
        2007 Jan. 6.72 m1~0.5, Dia=1', DC=8 ...20cm SCT (68x)...Stephen McCann
        (Southampton, England)

        Conditions were not so ideal, as for Richard, as the elevation was only
        about 2 degrees, so that the coma appeared stellar without any tail
        through the SCT. Incidently could not see P1 using 16x50B.

        Glad to have seen this one before it left our northern skies.

        Stephen McCann

        --
        Roke Manor Research Ltd, Romsey,
        Hampshire, SO51 0ZN, United Kingdom

        A Siemens company
        Registered in England & Wales at:
        Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell
        Berks RG12 8FZ. Number 267550
        Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk
        The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
        proprietary to Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any
        third party without permission. This communication is for information
        only and shall not create or change any contractual relationship.
      • cnj999
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
          I can report a negative daylight search for C/2006 P1 on January 7.73
          UT, employing 20x120B, conducted around local noon and in a reasonably
          good sky. From past experience, this would suggest to me that probably
          either the coma lacks any very strong, sharp, central condensation
          (i.e. a reasonably star-like nucleus) and/or that m1 is still fainter
          than -1.0 at this time.

          JBortle
        • Carey Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
            I'm not an expert here, but if you're observing the comet with a SCT, I'm
            assuming at least 2000mm. I alway hear on this group that bright comets
            should be measured with smaller equipment. Probably 400mm or less, down to
            binoculars. In photography I recently discovered a great difference from my
            2000mm SCT at F/10 to a 400mm f/5.

            But I could be wrong.

            I plan on looking for it tomorrow when it finally gets above 5 degrees at
            sunset, with my 20 X 70 binoculars and my 400mm f/6.

            Carey
            Honolulu, HI

            >From: "McCann, Stephen" <stephen.mccann@...>
            >To: <comets-ml@yahoogroups.com>, <comets-ml@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [comets-ml] Has C/2006 P1 (McNaught) entered negative
            >magnitude territory?
            >Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 16:38:25 -0000
            >
            >This observation was at a slightly later time (1720UT) to that of
            >Richard's, just
            >a few tens of kilometers to the East.
            >
            >C/2006P1 (McNaught)
            >2007 Jan. 6.72 m1~0.5, Dia=1', DC=8 ...20cm SCT (68x)...Stephen McCann
            > (Southampton, England)
            >
            >Conditions were not so ideal, as for Richard, as the elevation was only
            >about 2 degrees, so that the coma appeared stellar without any tail
            >through the SCT. Incidently could not see P1 using 16x50B.
            >
            >Glad to have seen this one before it left our northern skies.
            >
            >Stephen McCann

            Type your favorite song.� Get a customized station.� Try MSN Radio powered
            by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
          • Konrad Horn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
              Hi all,

              Nadine and myself managed to see the comet
              this evening by naked eye between 16:20-16:40 UT.
              Than the comet disappeared in clouds near the horizon.

              pls. find a picture at

              www.konradhorn.de

              We wish all of you a successful event with this
              now really bright comet!!

              Nadine + Konrad
            • Gary W. Kronk
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
                Using the Mallincam video system on my 20-cm Meade SCT, I was able to
                obtain images of Altair and C/2006 P1, while the sun was about a
                degree above the horizon on Saturday afternoon. The comet was plainly
                visible in the live images as a roundish object, while Altair was
                stellar. For both the comet and Altair clouds were drifting by during
                the observations, so that both images have clouds in them. The
                difference in size and brightness between Altair and the comet is
                quite notable, with the comet being larger and brighter, even though
                it was at a lower altitude and in brighter sky. I hope to post the
                images side-by-side for comparison on my web page at
                http://cometography.com/lcomets/2006p1.html either tonight or
                tomorrow morning.

                Sincerely,
                Gary
              • McCann, Stephen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
                  Carey,
                  Hi !

                  Yes, you are perfectly correct. You should not make estimates
                  with a SCT of a comet like this.

                  However, I needed to use a GoTo scope to find the comet in the
                  first place and I required to use Venus as a fixed reference. When
                  I eventually spotted the comet in the SCT, I could not see it in
                  my standard 'comet' binoculars, due to the low elevation of the comet
                  lost in the murky layers of my skies.

                  So, I've sort of excused myself this time.

                  Incidentally I've tried to observe the comet today (10/01/07) in the
                  daylight (12:10 UT) with my binoculars (16x50) with no success.

                  Good luck with your observations.

                  Kind regards

                  Stephen

                  Southampton UK (51N, 1.5W)